Official oil service thread!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Official oil service thread!

I though it would be cool to make a thread on your oil service.
    Ill start...

Type of driving: Aggressive/ as many as possible auto-x's

Motor: m20b25 stock w/ just minor bolt ons

Climate/ area: Louisville, KY. Usa.

Oil: Mobil Delvac 1300 Super 15W-40

Filter: Bosch premium filter

Additives: Lucas Oil Stabilizer

Intervals: Every 2k miles

Others: A can of Seafoam in the tank and one threw the intake every other change. Magnetic oil plug.

Time using products/ results: over a year, so far everything is fine, this
    the best i've used so far.

I was up above it, Now I'm down in it ~ Entropy - A Build thread.
    @Zakspeed_US

2k mile oil changes? overkill much? ;)

personally I'd avoid that lucas snake oil crap. I don't like air bubbles in my oil, personally. :p

but just for fun, and since I'm currently bored out of my mind at work:

Type of driving: I try not to beat on it too much but I like to hear it sing. lots of autox.

Motor: m20b28. not very stock.

Climate/ area: Bellingham, WA. Usa. Moderate climate (although it was in the 90's for a good part of the summer)

Oil: Mobil 1 15w50

Filter: Mahle/Mann, or if I run out of them, Napa Gold.

Additives: none

Intervals: I don't really track this. when it's dirty, pretty much, so often enough :p

My stock engine hated 15w50, but the stroker loves it. MUCH quieter valves too. It leaks a bit (from the headgasket / oil return tube on cyl #1) but I got over that a long time ago.
    Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

I do 2k because I think it sees a lot of abuse...

@Zakspeed_US

Comment

I just did my last change at about 4300 miles...oopsie. lol

Type of driving: track, autocrossing, constant daily driving to redline...ALL the time. So...very aggressive.

Motor: M20B27 Stroker - rebuilt bottom end, roughly 21,000 miles

Climate/area: Southern CA (desert), Boise, ID and Rapid City, SD. All over the place, climate's vary a ton.

Oil: Mobil 1 15w50 Year round - same as Nando, and have used it for well over 4 yaers now, even on my stock Super Eta motor.

Filter: MANN or Mahle, again, like Chris

Intervals: I'm aiming for 3000-4000 from here on out, but feel safe goin to 5000 if I ahve to. My oil doesn't get dirty at all. lol Amber until the day I remove it!
        - Sean Hayes

Comment

Type of driving: track + auto-x

Motor: S50B30, mostly stock

Climate/area: Northeast, but spring, summer, and fall only.

Oil: Castol TWS 10w60

Filter: BMW OEM

Intervals: Depends, but I try to do it every couple track days.
          '91 318is
          sigpic

Comment

Not a daily driver/driven to and from events mostly. Fast and smooth.

10-15 Autocross events/ 2-4 track events per year.

M20 with bolt ons, 4.10 to keep the revs up.

Bellingham WA area-mild climate

Castrol Syntec 5-50

MAHLE or sometimes MANN

Additives? no thanks.

I did add one of those magnetic drain plugs for what it was worth.

I change the oil twice a year. I do notice a drop or two of oil after the car has sat for more than a few days.
            sigpic

Comment

Ive been debating whether to get a MAHLE filter. almost did last time. prolly will next time. I also try to adjust the valves about 2-3 oil changes

@Zakspeed_US

Comment

Originally posted by moatilliatta View Post
                I do 2k because I think it sees a lot of abuse...
                its not really good to change more offen than 3k or 6 months. When you first start it up after a change the oil isn't coating everthing as much as normal. You are right about abusing your car though ;)
                ///Alpinweiß II 24v 91' 318is, Alpinweiß III 99' 323i, 04' Yamaha R6 SE for sale, 00' VW GTi, 83' El Camino BURNED, 01' P71sold, 92' Miatasold

Comment

I'm confused as to what you mean by isnt coating everything as much as normal. I changed my oil at 2250ish and it was dirty. just barely able to see threw.

@Zakspeed_US

Comment

^ Every time you change your oil you get a dry start-up. It takes more time than normal for oil pressure to build up and its nasty on your engine. Its way worse than a normal start.

For the same reason I will push my car out of the garage say if I'm just going to wash it, or at an autocross push it along the grid instead of starting the car just to move it 10ft.
                    sigpic

Comment

its not like its setting there with out oil for hours or days. just minutes. I kinda though that what you was getting to. but theres still some oil in the bearings and everyplace else. It takes 10 seconds at MOST for it to build pressure again. Im sure that its not doing that much damage at all. Id rather have the "Dry start-up" every 2k then running around and auto-x or something with dirty oil. IMO

@Zakspeed_US

Comment

Ya, I'm sure there is still a thin coating of oil during dry starts but its still not good. If you changed the oil after 500 miles it would look still "look" dirty.
                        sigpic

Comment

an oil film isn't going to do anything. at idle you need like 10psi minimum to keep from destroying your bearings. you NEED pressure, oil simply being there doesn't help.
                          Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

i havent changed my oil in 6 months, and i drove from New Jersey to Kansas. And now I drive over 1000miles a month and been doin that for 2 months. Hmm, maybe I should change it.

Oh yea, I have to add a quart every other week or so, so its like doing a slooow oil change.

its an e30 why the hell are you guys running synthetic? And changing it every 2k miles? Sheese, its not like your driving a ferrari or anything...
                            1988 M3, 97 840, 99 XJ
                            DILLIGAF

Comment

Type of driving: DD

Motor: m20b25 euro-spec

Climate/ area: (Seaonal Temps) East End (LI), NY, US of A

Oil: Mobil 5000 10w-40

Filter: Fram Extra Guard

Additives: None

Intervals: Every 3k miles

I switched from 10w-30 to 10w-40 as my fall/winter oil

(OO≡≡[][]≡≡OO) ///Motorsport
                              In this world, things aren't black & white. Its Delphin!

Parts, Buy Them--> http://picasaweb.google.com/transatl...eat=directlink

Snowboard & video game stuff --> http://r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=148645

Originally posted by Steve92E34
                              Your car is breathing my air, and so are you.
                              AND you are both still slow

Comment

Working...
                              X