$500 in parts- now have stumbling issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

$500 in parts- now have stumbling issue

Decided to do some preventitive maintenance on my perfectly running 88 325i cabby, so did the following:

Oil pan gasket (shortcut method used)
    valve cover gasket
    camshaft seal and o-ring
    timing belt
    reference sensor
    coolant temp sensor
    wires
    cap
    rotor
    belts
    hoses
    water pump
    plugs
    coolant flush

I got everything at Bavarian. I double checked all my electrical connections and cleaned with contact cleaner.

SO, when it started, it ran pretty good cold, but once it started warming up, started stumbling at idle. I can rev it up and it sounds good.

Don't suspect ICV since it ran fine before.
    Check engine light was on right after finishing installing the parts, but disconnected battery and reconnected and it was not on after that.

What the flying f***.

Any help would be appreciated- you guys have bailed me out in the past so don't let me down now!
    (thats you stereoinstaller)

1988 325iC Project - FINISHED!
    Build Thread: http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/show...ht=325iC+paint

lol, hate when that happens. don't fix what's not broken?

adjust your throttle and afm. masure all spark plugs fire. go over everything you did.

Comment

Originally posted by Aptyp View Post
      lol, hate when that happens. don't fix what's not broken?

adjust your throttle and afm. masure all spark plugs fire. go over everything you did.

Would my throttle/afm need adjusting as a result of what I did? I dont see how anything I replaced would affect these components....

Comment

Originally posted by bimmerboy12 View Post
        Any help would be appreciated- you guys have bailed me out in the past so don't let me down now!
        (thats you stereoinstaller)
        what the hell, when did I become some kind of tech guru outside of electrical shit?

Srsly, if it runs OK cold, but stumbles when warm, I would check the O2 sensor first, then clean the ICV, maybe test the coolant temp sensor.

GL!
        Luke

Closing SOON!
        "LAST CHANCE FOR G.A.S." DEAL IS ON NOW

Luke AT germanaudiospecialties DOT com or text 425-761-6450, or for quickest answers, call me at the shop 360-669-0398

Thanks for 10 years of fun!

Comment

OK, tested the O2 sensor and coolant temp sensor, and they both tested fine. cleaned my ICV. Still does it, and to add a twist, seems to idle better when i disconnect the harness from the coolant temp sensor... and its more of a wavering idle rather than a stumbling idle. Revs up and drives great. Throttle response SUCKS. If you give it a quick tap, it almost stalls. What is going on???

Comment

Are you 100% sure you've got your plug wires in the right order?

Comment

Originally posted by bolognablake View Post
              Are you 100% sure you've got your plug wires in the right order?
              100%. They have the numbers printed right on the wire and cap. I just drove the car to go to the Y, and it was opposite of the problem: the car idled like shit right after it started cold, then got better as it warmed up. Remember, the car ran and idled great before all this work was done...

Comment

upon first read of the list you have there, it sounds to me like its the coolant sensor. Swap them back and see what happens.

Comment

coolant temp sensor for sure
                  Joe Funk -- Portland Oregon
                  That Guy.
                  03 X5. 3 liter obviously.

Comment

put your old one back in...
                    That Guy.

Comment

Originally posted by Funkmasta View Post
                      put your old one back in...
                      Swapped my old one back in... made no difference. It idles OK when cold, but after warmed up, definitely stumbles. The stumbling is not even detected by the tach, it just vibrates the shit out of the car, like a random miss. This is getting REALLY F***ing annoying. I tested the CTS and it is good. Remember, it idled fine before beginning this job.

Comment

did you swap the temp sensor that goes to the ECU or just to the cluster? It is the blue one that goes to the ECU
                        That Guy.

Comment

double check your spark plugs and wires, check that the wires are on tight and all the plugs are tightened to spec. is there any unusually noise near the distributor? sounds like a misfire so check all spark.

Comment

Originally posted by Funkmasta View Post
                            did you swap the temp sensor that goes to the ECU or just to the cluster? It is the blue one that goes to the ECU
                            Yeah swapped the correct one. Never touched the sending unit plug.

I will double check my wires. This doesn't sound like a coil does it?

Comment

well update for everyone, the problem is not fixed. I verified all connections are good. I am at a complete loss. Any other ideas of what to try???

Comment

Working...
                              X