No announcement yet.

IX gas mileage issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

way to crap on the IX kids thread joe! lol.

Comment

Originally posted by smonkbmw View Post
      way to crap on the IX kids thread joe! lol.

haha i know. thread jack much?

no worries :;)

SC*AR

Originally posted by JamesE30
      And with a car looking like yours I imagine the balance shall tip in the favor of insult, like a big fat fucking retarded fucking black girl on a see-saw, opposite... a dwarf.

Comment

oops, my bad.

continue
        Autobahn Sport - ***503.715.0044*** - "ABS BMW Parts" on AIM

**To avoid delays with shipments, please note which parts you are paying for AND YOUR R3VLIMITED USERNAME in the "note to seller" field when using PayPal**

Comment

Originally posted by Autobahn Sport View Post
          The two killers for M42 fuel economy (on a properly tuned motor) are speed and weight.
          I got 40 mpg on a road trip with cruise control at 65, and just me in the car (with 14" bottlecaps).
          Your 318 has cruise control? I've never seen that in the US. I didn't know they offered it over here. You're right speed kills FE in these cars. 1980s aerodynamics leaves something to be desired. I rarely get the chance to drive the car any distance on the highway. I have a volvo for longer highway trips thats far more comfortable for hours in the saddle. When I do drive on the highway I'm in the 70 to 80mph range. I'm also driving on 14" bottle caps with falken azenis tires. I don't know if that helps or hurts FE. One thing that didn't hurt FE was switching from 19# to 22# injectors.
          [/end thread jack]

Comment

I used to get a constistent 21-22mpg mixed in my stock automatic ix, and 22-26mpg on the freeway. You're not that far off, but I'm sure your car could use some maintenance.

as far as the 318, I was getting a consistent 29mpg in a slipping-to-hell clutch, beat to shit pile of a 318is with all kinds of crap in the interior/trunk.
            Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Originally posted by Autobahn Sport View Post
              Complete tune-up and new timing belt, correct pressure in tires...
              Autobahn, how would a new timing belt affect fuel economy?

Originally posted by nando View Post
              I used to get a constistent 21-22mpg mixed in my stock automatic ix, and 22-26mpg on the freeway. You're not that far off, but I'm sure your car could use some maintenance.
              What maintenance could I do? Excuse the noob questions, I'm still learning here :(

SC*AR

And with a car looking like yours I imagine the balance shall tip in the favor of insult, like a big fat fucking retarded fucking black girl on a see-saw, opposite... a dwarf.

Comment

Originally posted by Alkasquawlik View Post
                It won't affect it much but as the belt stretches and cracks, it has a very slight effect on the timing of the motor. Do remember that the distributor cap is on the end of the camshaft. :)
                Autobahn Sport - ***503.715.0044*** - "ABS BMW Parts" on AIM

**To avoid delays with shipments, please note which parts you are paying for AND YOUR R3VLIMITED USERNAME in the "note to seller" field when using PayPal**

Comment

Originally posted by Alkasquawlik View Post

What maintenance could I do? Excuse the noob questions, I'm still learning here :(

cap, rotor, plugs, fuel filter, air filter, gaskets/o-rings/seals (intake manifold, injectors, valve cover/grommets, etc), check intake boot for holes/cracks, inspect vacuum lines for cracks (you want to eliminate vacuum leaks), test coolant sensor (this has a BIG effect on mileage if it's bad), replace O2 sensor, test fuel pressure, etc.

Most people start by installing a chip, $300 ebay wheels and drop-springs, and then post about how much their car sucks because it's broken down all the time. i think you're on the right path if you're asking about maintenance first. ;)
                  Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Originally posted by nando View Post
                    cap, rotor, plugs, fuel filter, air filter, gaskets/o-rings/seals (intake manifold, injectors, valve cover/grommets, etc), check intake boot for holes/cracks, inspect vacuum lines for cracks (you want to eliminate vacuum leaks), test coolant sensor (this has a BIG effect on mileage if it's bad), replace O2 sensor, test fuel pressure, etc.

Most people start by installing a chip, $300 ebay wheels and drop-springs, and then post about how much their car sucks because it's broken down all the time. i think you're on the right path if you're asking about maintenance first. ;)
                    thanks, this car means alot to me and i want to keep it running smoothly and efficiently.

are there any write ups or DIY threads on the above issues?

SC*AR

Comment

I agree with Nando on expected iX MPG. That's about what I get as well. And you're not that far off from expected or what I would consider normal.

Comment

Alright, I was just worried that something was wrong, or not working optimally on my car, but if you guys are somewhere in that range too, im not going to wory that much.
                        I'm still gonna attempt a tuneup though.

SC*AR

Comment

Working...
                        X