Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

WTF do i do now? expansion tank issue...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

WTF do i do now? expansion tank issue...

so i hear some scrubbing coming from the rear of the car. no big deal, i'll take a look... so the splash guard is hanging down on the tire. i remove the splash guard and find the expansion tank is hanging freely too. not good. it looks like the tabs that the expansion tank and the splash guard screw into have both broken off (rot... should that worry me?). so what needs to be done now? do i have to find someone that will weld new tabs on so they can be screwed back in? damnit. just got the car back this weekend.

have you?

Nvm it look like you have, Im kinda in the same spot you are, except the vent tube from the tank to the filler neck was rotted and has left behind some nasty rust, Looks like the braid on the hose kept in water.. there was all kinds of mold and blah all behind that panel. And i could barely get the hose out of the little channel it goes thew because it was rotted out. Might be able to get somebody that's good at welding to make and tack some new tabs in. I went a head and dropped the tank and am cleaning any bit of rust i come across, and going it over with por 15. While i got the tank dropped i ordered me some UUC stainless steal brake lines, and im replacing the vent tube back to the engine bay and the main brake line that goes to the rear and the 2 off the distribution piece, along with the distribution piece.

Gl.

zach
    Last edited by moatilliatta; 03-17-2009, 03:58 PM.

I was up above it, Now I'm down in it ~ Entropy - A Build thread.
    @Zakspeed_US

Comment

yeah. its going to be a bitch. i'm going to see if the local euro shop can weld me on a couple of tabs tomorrow. hopefully its just the tabs. ziptied that shit up for the time being. good luck with yours too...

Comment

WOW, I learn something new everyday.
        -Andy

Comment

for search purposes... the tab that the expansion tank fastens to had corroded. took it to my local shop and they fiberglassed a new tab in place and inspected for any rust. all clear and works like a charm...

Comment

Working...
          X