Broken Passenger Door Lock Cylinder

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Broken Passenger Door Lock Cylinder

Greetings my fellow respected elders, I'm having what I can only imagine is a common problem in the E30 community. I am unable to unlock my passenger door, the key goes in just fine, but won't turn. So I rely on Central Locking to open the door. This isn't the biggest problem in the world, it's only annoying when the battery is dead, and I can't open the door at all, or if I'm being chivalrous, and opening the door for a lady friend after dinner or a movie (basically anytime we're returning to the car when it's locked) I've contacted my local dealership to try and get a new cylinder that is coded to my key, and have hit a dead end. They tell me that they can't source one for me. But say that they can order a random one for me, and I can have a locksmith code it to my key. I've called three different locksmiths, and they all claim they can't do that, which I find peculiar. I do want to sort this out, as I'm doing some major maintenance on "Otto" right now. And I definitely don't want the hassle of needing to use a different key, just for the passenger door. Do you guys have any suggestions on what I can do about this? I'm not the most technically gifted person, and my tool kit is limited at best. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance. I just want my 89 325i coupe, with only 60k original miles to be perfect! I love Otto! Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

You can order a new lock with a random key from ecs . Or you can order a “blank” door lock where you can have the springs made specific to your key . I did the latter about 50$ for the lock cylinder and then 40 to have the locksmith make the springs off o fit my original key

door lock with new keys part # 51211924903 I have one of these if you want

or black rebuild part # 51219556313

Comment

Prisonerofdoom, please forgive my very late response. I've been dealing with serious health issues, and I'll definitely get back to you I've I'm ready. Thanks for your quick response! Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Comment

You can fix it yourself.

Comment

Had this problem with my driver door in my car. It's probably the 90 degree arm that holds the springs at the back of the cylinder housing. Mine was broken when I took it apart. As others have said, it's not too difficult to remove the whole thing and match the tumblers to your existing key. They kit that's been mentioned above includes everything you'll need:

Click image for larger version  Name:	Cyl 1.png Views:	0 Size:	125.3 KB ID:	9947346

Click image for larger version

Name:	Cyl 2.png
Views:	180
Size:	117.2 KB
ID:	9947351

Comment

Just so you know, when you lock the drivers side door 90degrees, this will cause that the passenger side won't be able to unlock the car at all.(double locking)
            When you lock the drivers side only 45degrees, it's still possible to unlock the car from the passenger side or trunk.

I also had a problem with my passenger side lock, I rebuilt both locks and everything works beautifully now.
            It's not hard at all, just be carefully when removing the old tumblers from you old lock to figure out the combination.
            1990 325iX Touring - November 2018 R3V Car Of The Month

1980 Volkswagen Golf mk1 1.1
            1974 BMW 2002 Touring

Instagram

Comment

Originally posted by D.Martijn View Post
              Just so you know, when you lock the drivers side door 90degrees, this will cause that the passenger side won't be able to unlock the car at all.(double locking) When you lock the drivers side only 45degrees, it's still possible to unlock the car from the passenger side or trunk. I also had a problem with my passenger side lock, I rebuilt both locks and everything works beautifully now. It's not hard at all, just be carefully when removing the old tumblers from you old lock to figure out the combination.
              Holy Effing S! That did it, the passenger side unlocks the entire car now! And I won't have to look like a doofus being chivalrous! We'll no more of a doofus than I usually am, lol Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by ChairFaceChippendale View Post
                Had this problem with my driver door in my car. It's probably the 90 degree arm that holds the springs at the back of the cylinder housing. Mine was broken when I took it apart. As others have said, it's not too difficult to remove the whole thing and match the tumblers to your existing key. They kit that's been mentioned above includes everything you'll need: Click image for larger version  Name:	Cyl 1.png Views:	0 Size:	125.3 KB ID:	9947346 Click image for larger version

Name:	Cyl 2.png
Views:	180
Size:	117.2 KB
ID:	9947351
                My car is still going through a refresh. Replacing the 31 year old rubber and wiring in the engine bay. It's only got 64k miles on it, and I don't the passenger side lock was used very much or all in the 31 years since it was originally sold. So the lock is fine, I just didn't know about the double locking feature at 90 degrees. You guys have been super helpful! You know who hasn't been helpful at all, the locksmiths in my area. They sell claimed to not be able to help! Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by fakeplstctrees View Post
                  Holy Effing S! That did it, the passenger side unlocks the entire car now! And I won't have to look like a doofus being chivalrous! We'll no more of a doofus than I usually am, lol Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
                  Glad I could help! :)

1974 BMW 2002 Touring

Instagram

Comment

Glad I could help! :)
                    Wait, I stopped by my mechanics shop, and we tried all types of locking on the driver's door, and couldn't get a consistent response from the passenger side. What is the exact thing to do on the driver's side to enable the passenger lock to be useable? Because I'm going back later until I fully understand it. It's damn German over engineering! Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by fakeplstctrees View Post
                      Wait, I stopped by my mechanics shop, and we tried all types of locking on the driver's door, and couldn't get a consistent response from the passenger side. What is the exact thing to do on the driver's side to enable the passenger lock to be useable? Because I'm going back later until I fully understand it. It's damn German over engineering! Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
                      You can lock the whole car by turning the key only 45deg from the drivers side door- by doing so you can also unlock the car from the passenger door or trunk
                      When you turn the key all the way (90deg) - you can only unlock the car from the drivers side door, this double locks the passenger door and trunk.

1974 BMW 2002 Touring

Instagram

Comment

You can lock the whole car by turning the key only 45deg from the drivers side door- by doing so you can also unlock the car from the passenger door or trunk When you turn the key all the way (90deg) - you can only unlock the car from the drivers side door, this double locks the passenger door and trunk.
                        Ok, that's what you guys said earlier, but it won't lock without turning it a full 90 degrees on the driver's side. I start with the lock upright, then turn it to the right to lock it, and it doesn't lock unless I go a full 90. I'm gonna have to go there later and try it again. Is there a video of this? Not trying to be difficult, it's just weird Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Comment

I had this problem until I replaced the drivers side door lock (while I was busy, I also rebuild the passenger side lock).
                          Turned out there was a piece on the lock that fell/broke off and prevented me from locking it at 45deg, I could only double lock my Touring..

1974 BMW 2002 Touring

Instagram

Comment

I had this problem until I replaced the drivers side door lock (while I was busy, I also rebuild the passenger side lock). Turned out there was a piece on the lock that fell/broke off and prevented me from locking it at 45deg, I could only double lock my Touring..
                            Yeah, it turns out my driver's side lock is broken. I've private messaged prisonerofdoom, who said he has the past for sale, but he said that months ago. Waiting to hear back from him, and hoping he has the part time available. Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Comment

You can buy a rebuild kit for the drivers door for about $20 (last time I bought one). There used to be a kit for the passenger door as well which has a different mechanism but it's hard to imagine the passenger lock having that much use that it needs a rebuild. Get some Houdini Oil (locksmiths best friend) and see if that helps.
                              Seat Shocks....I have passed the baton to John Christy from Ninestitch. Email John or Garrett at ninestitch1@gmail.com

https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...86#post4944786
                              Alice the Time Capsule
                              http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=360504
                              87 Zinno Cabrio barn find 98k and still smells like a barn. Build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/show...20#post3455220

Comment

Working...
                              X