New Steering Rack - P/S Pump Moaning?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Steering Rack - P/S Pump Moaning?

I recently replaced the steering rack, P/S hoses and P/S reservoir on my Touring. Now the pump moans like it's low on fluid even though the fluid is full. I went through the bleeding process after installing the new parts. Not sure if this is related, but the steering now feels over boosted for an E30. Any idea what might be causing the pump to moan?

Thanks, Cory
    1992 325i Cabrio
    1988 320i Touring
    2000 M5
    1977 530i
    2015 328i - Euro Delivery/Performance Center Delivery
    BMWCCA
    E30CCA

Start with double checking your clamps at the PS reservoir.

Comment

Drive it around a few miles. Does it still do it? A failing pump will usually give you intermittent power steering and then really heavy manual steering at low speeds as fluid slips past the seals. Pumps don't normally fail to over pressure. A smaller pulley would do that.
      AWD > RWD

Comment

I swapped to a e46 rack and it took a while for it to stop moaning. My guess is the tiny air bubbles take a while to get out.

Comment

Make sure that none of the hoses are kinked or restricted. This can cause the pump to moan.

Comment

Thanks for all the great feedback! I've driven the car 100+ miles since the work and still moaning. I will check the hoses for kinks. roguetoaster - Do you mean check the clamps to see if they are tight? I think I used new oeteker clamps.

Cory
            1992 325i Cabrio
            1988 320i Touring
            2000 M5
            1977 530i
            2015 328i - Euro Delivery/Performance Center Delivery
            BMWCCA
            E30CCA

Comment

Originally posted by cory58 View Post
              Thanks for all the great feedback! I've driven the car 100+ miles since the work and still moaning. I will check the hoses for kinks. roguetoaster - Do you mean check the clamps to see if they are tight? I think I used new oeteker clamps.

Cory
              Yep, and also not torqued out to where they slip.

Comment

Working...
              X