Battery keeps dying / draining / discharging

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by JonsE30 View Post
    should i wait to warranty exchange the battery after i get the SI batteries replaced?
    Coming from the guy that has rebuilt thousands of SI boards, I assure you, and you can check for yourself. Replacing the batteries on the SI board does not always repair the SI board, in fact, if you replace the batteries on the SI board without replacing the 20+ transistors, it can permantely damage the SI board.

I know this to be true because when we first started 10 years ago, I replaced only the batteries and many clients were having issues. Once I started replacing transistors, we have done thousands of SI boards with zero issues. Ever hear of smacking the dash to get the gauges to work again? That is stuck transistors. If your SI board has stuck transistors, which are 30+ years old now and most likely do, and you replace the batteries, you are essentially increasing the current load of a SHORT that is presented by one or more failed transistors, which will damage the microcontroller chips that trigger them. The chips are not repairable.

Unfortunately, there is a huge rumor going around that replacing the SI board batteries alone is the correct way to repair, which is completely untrue. You can also find many examples of people replacing the batteries and it does not repair it and they end up having to buy a refurbished SI board. I highly recommend not to replace the batteries but instead have the SI board professionally refurbished.
    Owner - Bavarian Restoration
    BMW and European Electronics Repair and Restoration
    www.BavRest.com
    My Feedback Thread
    Our Facebook!
    Follow our Instagram!

Comment

Originally posted by Gregs///M View Post

in fact, if you replace the batteries on the SI board without replacing the 20+ transistors, it can permantely damage the SI board.
      There are chips on the board with thousands and thousands of transistors. They actually consume a lot of power for no reason.
      Do you replace them with modern chips that consume microamperes in the sleep mode?

Comment

Originally posted by Vincenze View Post
        There are chips on the board with thousands and thousands of transistors. They actually consume a lot of power for no reason.
        Do you replace them with modern chips that consume microamperes in the sleep mode?
        The integrated transistors inside the chips do not consume an abnormal amount of power. The standalone NPN and PNP transistors are replaced, not the transistors integrated into the chips. The chips cannot be repaired or replaced. Transistors that drain abnormal amount of current is because they get stuck in an unwanted logic state from decades of use. This issue is also common in the DME, lock control module, check panel system and other vintage electrical modules.
        Owner - Bavarian Restoration
        BMW and European Electronics Repair and Restoration
        www.BavRest.com
        My Feedback Thread
        Our Facebook!
        Follow our Instagram!

Comment

Working...
        X