No announcement yet.

E30 m3 ls1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sorry for the delay in updates.....life got in the way.

So, I ended up not going with the "Garrett LS1 Kit" provided hydroboost relocator/bracket. Although it is engineered well and functions properly the aesthetics of the bracketry in the engine bay just didn't do it for me. I ended up sourcing a smaller hydroboost unit and mounted it on the fire wall. I combined that with a STRANGE engineering brake master cylinder.

Obviously the booster and master cylinder sit fairly close to the exhaust manifold so a bracket will be fabricated to shield the booster/master cylinder. Both the shield and exhaust manifolds will be coated with a ceramic coating.

I purchased a new fuel tank. It has a larger capacity than the original M3 tank. It also has provisions for two fuel pumps although I am only running one Aeromotive 340 fuel pump. It does not have the needed cross over tube between the two reservoirs so a -8 fitting and hose will be installed.

I also installed a Monster Clutch. Its a stage 1 which is good for 450hp. I also got the 18lb billet flywheel and new slave/throwout bearing. I also ended up installing a braided clutch and bleeder lines.

Also got some new shoes. 17" BBS RK's. They are a bit rough but they are going to be refinished.

More to come...

Comment

Wow! The car is really starting to come together.
      I really need to get working on my project, which is basically the same as yours but with less interior and a roll cage... Thanks for the motivation.

Comment

What brand/type hydroboost unit did you use? Might be looking into one for myself.

Comment

Mid 2000 Astro Van but it is installed in a variety of vehicles.

Comment

looks like its coming along real well now. ;)

Comment

Nice work..are the motor mounts custom built or did you buy them from some place? if you constructed them do you have any specs on the build? I just so happen to have a 5.3lsx sitting on the floor.

Its going to be a monster.

Comment

Finished the fuel system. -8 fittings were burned to the tank and the accompanying hose was attached. The tank was also painted black.

-6 fittings were burned to the stock fuel pump carrier and a Aeromotive 340lph pump was installed.

Next the fuel filter/regulator was installed and the steel braided lines were ran..

Here are some more pics of the brake system with the Strange master cylinder installed. Although its a tight fit I glad I went this route.

Here's the Griffin radiator. Although the first radiator I purchased worked this one has a larger core and both inlet/outlet on the passenger side which makes for a cleaner engine bay.

Comment

Nice job -- good idea to replace the fuel tank while you're at it. If those blue fittings on the Corvette filter-regulator are from Russell, check out the posts about them on LS1Tech; some guys have had theirs pop off easily.
                  E30-LS1 aka. 357is
                  email us to pick up our LS1 swap guide
                  E30-LS1 KITS now available!!
                  E30LS1@gmail.com
                  e30ls1.com

Comment

where did you source that gas tank? that also appears to be the late model 63L/16 gallon one, did you have any fitment issues putting that on the M3?

Comment

this is coming along great.

Comment

Originally posted by evandael View Post
                        where did you source that gas tank? that also appears to be the late model 63L/16 gallon one, did you have any fitment issues putting that on the M3?
                        Yes it is the late model larger tank. The tank is longer and and the secondary reservoir is larger as well. For fitment all that needed to be done was trimming off the auxiliary fuel pump bracket on the frame rail.

Originally posted by garretvs View Post
                        Nice job -- good idea to replace the fuel tank while you're at it. If those blue fittings on the Corvette filter-regulator are from Russell, check out the posts about them on LS1Tech; some guys have had theirs pop off easily.
                        Thanks. The fittings are the new design with the locking retainer. I believe they discontinued the old plastic push on fittings due to the numerous failures.

Comment

Attention to detail comes to mind!
                          NASA
                          BMWCCA member
                          PCA member 25yrs

1991 318IS slick top
                          1997 M3 sedan
                          2001 325CI DD

“whoever turns the wheel the least, wins"

Comment

Coil packs and wires clear the master cylinder?
                            Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

1987 Delphin 325IS
                            LS1•TSP 228r• condor speed shop solid subframe, diff, fcab, mounts•Airlift air ride suspension•e36 ps rack•Eibach sways•16" Spal puller•bbk 310mm front & rear•17" BBS RS•
                            Build Thread
                            1993 alpine 2 325IC
                            •Ground control coilovers•16" BBS RS• momo woodgrain

Comment

Originally posted by Rc 415 View Post
                              Coil packs and wires clear the master cylinder?
                              No the coils dont but the wires do. You just have to cut the bracket and off-set the 2 rear coils about an inch or two upwards. No biggie.

Comment

First Start

Sorry for the crappy quality...

Last edited by LSM3; 12-30-2012, 09:02 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X