5 lug swap e30 using Z3/e36 full subframe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

5 lug swap e30 using Z3/e36 full subframe

Ok e30 fam, I’m acquiring parts and then on FB I see a guy listing a full subframe with full assembly (spindles, CA, brakes, hoses, sensors, etc) for $250. So I pick it up for $200… now questions…

1) how do I verify the pieces are from a z3 (what he said) versus an e36 or anything else bmw?

2) depending on what chassis it’s from what pieces are compatible for my e30 (1991 318i) 5 lug swap?

3) if not many pieces are compatible is it worth “miking it work” or should I just call this a $200 lesson and move on?

Thanks all for your input… I’m a mess on the suspension bits since I see and read these posts but I can’t visualize what is being said most of the time…

Best,

Travis

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

e36 and z3/e30 are quite different. The z3 stuff bolts right in.
    john@m20guru.com
    Links:
    Transaction feedback: Here, here and here. Thanks :D

Comment

Thanks for the reply… I'm told from the seller that the suspension with a 3.45 diff is 100% for a 96+ z3… not sure how to verify this though

Comment

Originally posted by steel330i View Post
        Thanks for the reply… I'm told from the seller that the suspension with a 3.45 diff is 100% for a 96+ z3… not sure how to verify this though

can you get a part number off the sub ? e36 318ti and z3 subs are a direct swap between each other and use the same part number.. they are slightly different from the e30, mixed results when using the sub in an e30. e30 has a different part number than the other two. e36 318ti trailing arms will swap to the e30, unsure of the z3 trailing arms. the diffs should swap out between them all.

edit : when going to five lug here most just swap out the trailing arms. the arms from the 318ti are sought after for the swap.

Comment

The diff "should" have a tag.

Only differences I am aware of (aside from updated part numbers) is when talking about z3m, which has a wider track width and re-enforced trailing arms. Most 4cyl z3 have small case diffs, though, so smaller axles, stubs and CV than the 2.8 (and z3m) counterparts.
          john@m20guru.com
          Links:
          Transaction feedback: Here, here and here. Thanks :D

Comment

So the diff has a tag (that I could find and read) 3.45.. will look harder for the tag numbers

Comment

Here's my oem Z3 setup… looking to swap what I can to my e30

Comment

Part number? Any info is appreciated!

Comment

Finally got my e30 rear subframe out… going to attempt to bolt up the z3 subframe into the e30… worst case I’ll swap into the axles and diff into the e30 subframe and new bushings

Comment

Look up differential swap on 318ti.org - mucho info...

Comment

Fitted the z3 (non m) rear subframe to the e30 no problem… now the only have not done is full bushings and add the rear trailing arms as well.
                      More to come

Comment

Working...
                      X