New member and my 5 lug conversion

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • pandaboo911
    replied
    What are you using for a locking mechanism? I've designed the same type of adapter a few months ago, a "bolt" with the center drilled out and threaded. Also came up with a cheap/functional locking mechanism.

    I'll plan on using a much smaller brake assembly (280mm vented front+rear/ e28 calipers) so I can fit 16" wheels and stock parking brake. Also to retain stock offset (adapter adds only 3mm)

    Leave a comment:


  • brian52555
    replied
    Awesome. Definitely interested.

    Ron worked on my car a year or 2 ago with Ryan - great work indeed.

    Leave a comment:


  • goarmy
    replied
    Nice job.

    Those are the light weight euro e46 m3 rotors. Costy but for the weight and stopping power and how nice it be to fill up my 17', I'll be in for the custom bracket/ spacers.

    Leave a comment:


  • SA E30
    replied
    Nice work.

    Wouldn't mind sharing some ideas as I completed a similar conversion years back, and have been looking at refining it in recent times.

    Leave a comment:


  • rongineer13
    replied
    So my wheels are 17"x8", ET 38. I have 2 mm of clearance between the inner edge of the barrel of the wheel and the strut tube with NO spacer between the rotor and wheel. The wheel doesn't even come close to hitting the caliper, there is plenty of clearance!
    I am currently running a 5 mm spacer though to make the wheel a bit more flush with the fender, although it could still go out more. In the rear I am running a 15 mm spacer. So answer the question about minimum wheel size, 17" I believe will be the minimum. My current front bracket allows the smaller E36/E46 325i/328i caliper on the smaller rotor, so a 16" wheel fitment kit can also be achieved.

    This set up moves the rotor face out by 13 mm from where the original rotor face on the 4 lug front set is stock. This is 0.5 mm more than how far out running E36 M3 brakes on an E30 M3 would move the rotor face due to the rotor spacer.

    After thinking through this set up and seeing that some people would prefer just the fronts as opposed to front and rear, I believe that I will offer a baseline kit for the fronts, and brackets and parking brake adaptors for the rear can be added as wanted.

    I am also working on the bracket to run the Z3 rear rotor with the stock rear caliper and parking brake, just incase some don't to go E46 M3 all the way!
    Last edited by rongineer13; 10-16-2012, 10:24 PM.

    Leave a comment:


  • Cha Ching
    replied
    I'm in like Flynn!

    Leave a comment:


  • nebulous123
    replied
    I have an e46 M3 suspension and my BBS RS005 16" ET11 clear with a little bit of room to give you an idea.

    Leave a comment:


  • chop_suey
    replied
    nice! ^^+1 on wheel size?

    Leave a comment:


  • dude8383
    replied
    So minimum wheel size to run this combo would be 16+ and 17+ for the E46 M3 bits right?

    Leave a comment:


  • rongineer13
    replied
    Thanks for all the interest! I have been running this set up on my car for the past 2 weeks, so to answer the question of when, I believe that a few more miles is due. There's about 500 miles down so far.

    And as for how much...this would be very dependent upon how many people commit so as I can have a batch machined. As we all know, one off pieces aren't exactly economical! As soon as I figure out how to had a poll to the thread, I will do as Ryan suggested!

    Leave a comment:


  • Acehye559
    replied
    I am in, next in line is 5 lug conversion.

    Leave a comment:


  • dashboardmonkey
    replied
    I'd be interested in the hub and caliper adapters for the front.

    Leave a comment:


  • M3 Ryan
    replied
    For those that don't know Ron- he has worked in my shop for the past 2+ years as a BMW tech and fabricator. He put this all together on his own and did a fantastic job on it all. I have driven the car and it stops on a dime and feels great. The wheels fit well and it is all quality stuff. He will have these available for purchase soon.
    Maybe add a poll to this thread to see how many people would be interested on purchasing and then evolve it into a group buy o get things kick started?

    Leave a comment:


  • eLKuRLy
    replied
    ^^+1
    Sick!!

    Leave a comment:


  • nrubenstein
    replied
    So... How much? And when?

    Leave a comment:

Working...