E46 rear suspension

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

E46 rear suspension

I don’t own an e30 but I have been looking at them for a lighter/cheaper track car (315 wide tires aren't cheap). Everyone complains about the trailing arm rear suspension, but I don’t see much of a way to reinvent that other than lots of cut and weld that is beyond my skills. While doing some web searching I came across this:

E36 Compact PRO rear suspension. This kit offers E46 M3 suspension geometrics for your E30. Made for E36 Compact 188 diff. All parts included are made out of chromoly, they are tig welded and powdercoated. The kit has E36/E46 M3 wheel bearings and an E36 caliper bracket. Produced by Rally Corsa Shop and exclusively sold in the Benelux by Qvick Motors. Prices are excl. VAT.Delivery time on demand.

I guess you end up with e 46 geometry. still probably minor welding. Does anyone have any experience with this or fabbed something like it? This aint cheap….

That's kind of clever- it looks as though it bolts to the rear subframe itself. If that's true, though, it won't have exactly E46 geometry.
    And you could buy quite a few sets of tires for that. But the E46 rear suspension is
    light- years beyond the trailing arms, for sure.

Having raced an E30 a little, I'd say that the trailing arms aren't that big a deal.
    They're not ideal- but it's what you have, so lowering, adding camber control,
    and stiffening helps a lot. Then tweaking rake angle does, too.

t

now, sometimes I just mess with people. It's more entertaining that way. george graves

Comment

I do an E90 subframe so you don't have to worry about hooking trailing arms up.

The rear suspension I don't think is as bad as people make it out to be, you have to be bit more of an engineer and put some effort in in getting the alignment right. It takes some work you can't do on your ass.

I was up above it, Now I'm down in it ~ Entropy - A Build thread.
      @Zakspeed_US

Comment

Working...
      X