No announcement yet.

stripped rotor bolt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I will add that that bolt should only be tightened FINGER TIGHT and no more. As other have said, all it does is keep the rotor from moving until you put the wheel on. It doesn't need to be torqued down.

Comment

I got it out with a combination of drilling it and slotting it again. Kinda tore up the rotor, but it has a groove around the edge and needs to be replaced anyway...

Thanks everyone!

Comment

Originally posted by ForcedFirebird View Post
        When rusted in, I often will hammer a larger Torx into it and use a small battery impact to pull them - if that fails, use Jim's advice.

I keep them in stock, just for when customers like you come in. I hate trying to line up the rotor/wheel when using the OEM lug bolts. They are less than $2 each - you guys can't really be that cheap.
        I think what he's getting at is that (or at least this is my impression) is that since they only hold the rotor to the hub you shouldn't put a torque on the bolt.... At least that's how I do it I load it up with anti-seize and spin it with an allen socket (no ratchet) until just before it's finger tight...
        Greg 1987 325is (fairly far from stock at this point)

Comment

Originally posted by RUFFLZ
          TIL
          but, why is it there then? haha
          also items like that are there to aid in the production of vehicles. then people get worried when it doesnt stay for life on the vehicle.

sigpic1984 318i Total conversion to a DIRT race car.
          Check out our build on facebook @ www.facebook.com/brewstermotorsports

Comment

Originally posted by rpob5t View Post
            I think what he's getting at is that (or at least this is my impression) is that since they only hold the rotor to the hub you shouldn't put a torque on the bolt.... At least that's how I do it I load it up with anti-seize and spin it with an allen socket (no ratchet) until just before it's finger tight...
            I wasn't talking about how tight the bolt is, they will often rust in over time. I was talking about how people leave them out.
            john@m20guru.com
            Links:
            Transaction feedback: Here, here and here. Thanks :D

Comment

Working...
            X