Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

RTAB replacement

Hi,

I'm in the middle of replacing subframe bushings on my 1991 318i and was thinking to replace the RTAB with the new oem pieces.

I know it is quite easy to do with the full subframe off the car, but...

Right now my subframe is dropped by 2-3 inches and still attached by the drive shaft and brake lines.
    Is it even possible to change the RTAB now with subframe still attached but dropped?

Has anyone done it this way with the brake lines and e-cable attached?
    Last edited by mr ilia; 03-26-2013, 08:13 AM. Reason: update

Yes, but idk how you're gonna change the subframe bushings without pulling it out. Just unbolt the trailing arms and you can easily change those bushings, but you'll have a hard time on the subframe ones. I'd just pull the whole thing.
    The first car I ever rode in was an e30

Originally posted by Cabriolet
    Wish you the best and hope you don't remember anything after 10pm.

1992 Mauritiusblau Vert
    2011 Alpinweiss 335is coupe

2002 540i/6 Black/Black
    2003 GSX-R 750 (RIP)

Comment

I dont want to mess with the brake lines and want to leave them attached and hand br cables...
      Can I still do this?

Comment

Originally posted by mr ilia View Post
        I dont want to mess with the brake lines and want to leave them attached and hand br cables...
        Can I still do this?
        You're going to need to pull the subframe in order to either press, or torch the old bushings out.
        1985 M10b18. 70maybewhpoffury. Over engineered S50b30 murica BBQ swap in progress.

Originally posted by DEV0 E30
        You'd chugg this butt. I know you would. Ain't gotta' lie to kick it brostantinople.

Comment

I'm pretty sure he can still replace the bushings, especially if he has the right tools.

It's just a PITA.
          2008 335i - n54b30
          1991 318i - m52b28
          1994 fzj80 - LAND CRUSHER

Comment

Originally posted by drumad View Post
            I'm pretty sure he can still replace the bushings, especially if he has the right tools.

It's just a PITA.
            How? They need to be pressed or torched out. Pullers don't work well and there's not enough space. And I suppose he could hold a propane torch under his gas tank for half an hour but....

1992 Mauritiusblau Vert

2002 540i/6 Black/Black
            2003 GSX-R 750 (RIP)

Comment

Can I still do this?
              Hand brake cables are a 10 min job. Undo the nuts on the ebrake directly and pull the full cables through. Bleeding your brakes takes another 10 min...

1992 Mauritiusblau Vert

2002 540i/6 Black/Black
              2003 GSX-R 750 (RIP)

Comment

Originally posted by Vivek View Post
                Hand brake cables are a 10 min job. Undo the nuts on the ebrake directly and pull the full cables through. Bleeding your brakes takes another 10 min...
                Is there a diy for brake bleeding for e30?

Comment

Burning the bushes out doesn't really work well (in my experience) a shop press will have all the old bushes out in 20 minutes once you have pulled the sub frame
                  88 325is Five Speed
                  Lachssilber

Comment

Yes you can do this without disconnecting brake/ebrake lines. Its just a pain in the ass to lie under the car and drill/press out the old bushings. Definitely easier taking everything off.
                    Originally posted by priapism
                    My girl don't know shit, but she bakes a mean cupcake.
                    Originally posted by shameson
                    Usually it's best not to know how much money you have into your e30

Comment

Is there a diy for brake bleeding for e30?
                      I'm sure you can find one. In a nutshell:
                      Open valve on passenger side rear caliper (farthest from the MC)
                      Pump brake pedal, make sure there's enough fluid in the reservoir
                      Stop when it's a clear stream with no bubbles

Repeat on driver's side.

1992 Mauritiusblau Vert

2002 540i/6 Black/Black
                      2003 GSX-R 750 (RIP)

Comment

I also replaced my subframe bushings with aftermarket ones wit the subframe/trailing arms still under the car. I used the method of cutting a slit in the outer sleeve of the stock bushing and using a chisel to cut through the rest, bushings eventually fell right out, but mine were torn to the point that the inner aluminum shaft was no longer attached to the outer sleeve by anything...

If you really don't want to touch the brakes just unbolt the trailing arms and pull the subframe out, supporting the trailing arms with milk crates or something once they are off the subframe. If you're doing the RTABS then you'll then have access to them as well as have the subframe out and be able to manhandle the bushings out of it.
                        For all things 24v, check out Markert Motorworks!
                        Originally posted by mbonanni
                        I hate modded emtree, I hate modded cawrz, I hate jdm, I hate swag, I hate stanceyolokids, I hate bags (on cars), I hate stuff that is slowz, I hate tires.

I am a pursit now.

Comment

I checked it out and just like Vivec mentioned, it would be best to disconnect parking and rear brakes lines to get it done...It will be way easier to access the bushings and mounting points. It is also good to lower the subframe while at it.

I think I will get AGK tool and get this done sometime later.

Thanks for the input.

Comment

Originally posted by Vivek View Post
                            How? They need to be pressed or torched out. Pullers don't work well and there's not enough space. And I suppose he could hold a propane torch under his gas tank for half an hour but....
                            I used the c-clamp from a ball joint pressing kit to push my trailing arm bushings out. Having the end of the clamp be a ring allows the bushing to run right through. Used a 1" drive air impact, pressed those bad boys out in ~15 seconds each.
                            - Josh
                            1990 325is

Need a shift boot?
                            Looking to buy shift boot frames, PM if you have one to sell

Here's what happens when you let the internet pick your license plate

Comment

the brake hoses from body to subframe are how old??? and only 20 bucks to replace em and super easy to do if the subframe is out, just cut the old ones and let the subframe drop, then acess is real easy to replace them at the body connection.

as far as subframe bushings...with subframe in car ...check this link... I made this tool and it worked great

Bimmerforums is the preferred online BMW Forum and community for BMW owners. At Bimmerforums, you will find technical how-to information maintenance specifics audio advice wheel and tire combinations and model specific details not found anywhere else. Our professionals are here to help make sure you find the answers you need to your questions and our community is here to help other brainstorm ideas for the future.

Comment

Working...
                              X