No announcement yet.

Polyurethane Bushings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

hmmmmm......now i am in a spot lol. so stock rubber bushings u say?

Comment

Personally I say urethane suspension but rubber trans/diff/engine mounts.

BUT... and I quote myself

Originally posted by SkiFree View Post
      Frankly, you're going to get a lot of opinions, none o which should be considered "wrong" or "right". You need to be aware of the harshness ratings of different urethane and what you think you can tolerate.
      ADAMS Autosport

Comment

Here is my setup, and why I chose what I did.

Subframe bushings - AKG poly. Very easy to install, affordable, much easier to replace then rubber bushings. Also these don't really add significant NVH, unless you go UHMW/solid/etc... Should last a very long time.

Trailing arm bushings - OEM Lemforder. The OEM bushings are extremely hard rubber, probably almost as hard as poly. They are cheap, pretty easy to install, will last probably 200k-300k miles. e30 trailing arm bushings sort of bind by design, since the arc of the trailing arm isn't perfectly straight, so putting a super hard poly or UHMW in will create some resistance when the trailing arm moves through it's arc. Not ideal IMO, could potentially wear them quicker.

Rear diff bushing - OEM. I can't imagine anything but a high powered race car needing an upgraded diff bushing.

Front CAB. I installed OEM e30 M3 offset bushings. The offset is useless IMO. I don't notice a difference. Didn't notice a difference in my track car either. All it did for me was push the wheel forward, which is annoying. I'd say get OEM e36 M3 centered bushings.

Engine mounts- I'm using revshift m60 mounts. That's because I have an m60. They work great. So do factory m60 mounts. But I need my engine to stay 100% exactly where it's at, because I have like 3mm of clearance in every direction in my engine bay.

Upper strut mounts - Unless you need camber adjustment, I'd go OEM. Camber plates are expensive and can be a PITA as far as NVH and maintenance.

Trans - I'd go stock or e21, with the aluminum cups if you need stiffer. Trans mounts can add some serious NVH. I went from stock to e21 mounts with cups, and it added a noticable amount of NVH. I tried UHMW mounts at one point back when I had my m50, I took them out after 10 minutes. The car was so loud, my friend in the passenger seat had to yell for me to hear him. It was insane. I also had UHMW engine mounts at the time, which weren't terrible, but then when I put those trans mounts in, the car was just unbearable.
        85 325e m60b44 6 speed / 89 535i
        e30 restoration and V8 swap
        24 Hours of Lemons e30 build

Comment

I'll echo Jgood on the trans mounts. I love my delrin engine mounts but had to take out the trans mounts.
          For all things 24v, check out Markert Motorworks!
          Originally posted by mbonanni
          I hate modded emtree, I hate modded cawrz, I hate jdm, I hate swag, I hate stanceyolokids, I hate bags (on cars), I hate stuff that is slowz, I hate tires.

I am a pursit now.

Comment

Originally posted by JGood View Post

Trailing arm bushings - OEM Lemforder. The OEM bushings are extremely hard rubber, probably almost as hard as poly. They are cheap, pretty easy to install, will last probably 200k-300k miles. e30 trailing arm bushings sort of bind by design, since the arc of the trailing arm isn't perfectly straight, so putting a super hard poly or UHMW in will create some resistance when the trailing arm moves through it's arc. Not ideal IMO, could potentially wear them quicker.

Trans - I'd go stock or e21, with the aluminum cups if you need stiffer. Trans mounts can add some serious NVH. I went from stock to e21 mounts with cups, and it added a noticable amount of NVH. I tried UHMW mounts at one point back when I had my m50, I took them out after 10 minutes. The car was so loud, my friend in the passenger seat had to yell for me to hear him. It was insane. I also had UHMW engine mounts at the time, which weren't terrible, but then when I put those trans mounts in, the car was just unbearable.
            Disagree with your "theory" on the trailing arm bushings. The rubber wears quite a bit faster than the urethane, have proven that a number of times.

However, yes the trans mount seems to be the largest culprit for added NVH. The E21 mounts are a great way to go.
            ADAMS Autosport

Comment

So guys i am glad you all took the time to help me out on this. i had in mind the same urethane bushings but as i said before the urethane that i want to use would not be the hardest. i will be using the ones they classify as "Street" not "Race". i was thinking the urethane all around with stock trans and engine mounts. I am glad that Jgood shared his set up and explained it for me to get an idea. About the control arm bushings, i will be sticking to the centered set up but will be urethane.

This brings me to my last and final question......since it will be urethane ( STREET compound ) would i still need to do any sort of reinforcement as compared to solid bushings which need certain things to be reinforced?

Comment

Disagree with your "theory" on the trailing arm bushings. The rubber wears quite a bit faster than the urethane, have proven that a number of times.

However, yes the trans mount seems to be the largest culprit for added NVH. The E21 mounts are a great way to go.

Poly TAB's must literally last forever then, because my factory TAB's were still decent after 28 years/295k miles. Haha

Comment

Originally posted by JGood View Post
                  Poly TAB's must literally last forever then, because my factory TAB's were still decent after 28 years/295k miles. Haha
                  Ha, fair enough, alot of it depends on use I think. On the cars that have been tracked at all the rubber is pretty gummy. The ones I pulled out of my 2002 (same as E30) were entertaining.
                  ADAMS Autosport

Comment

Ha, fair enough, alot of it depends on use I think. On the cars that have been tracked at all the rubber is pretty gummy. The ones I pulled out of my 2002 (same as E30) were entertaining.
                    Makes sense. I have read that the harder poly bushings can cause excessive binding in the trailing arm, do you have any input on that? I believed it to be true after moving my trailing arm up and down without a spring installed. Lots of noise/resistance. But, it is just a bushing, not a bearing...

Comment

I'm running Powerflex Subframe, trailing arm bushes and offset front CAB bushes, with Ireland Engineering engine mounts, there is absolutely no increase in NVH.

I'll be going with the powerflex diff and f/r ARB bushes over winter (downunder land) and don't expect to have much more of an NVH issue.

As has been mentioned, biggest culprit of NVH is strut towers and trans mounts.

SILBER COMBAT UNIT DELTA (M-Technic Marshal)
                      RTFM:http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=56950

Comment

I have Poly rear subframe mounts, trans mounts, offset CABs and adjustable strut tops - in a DD, there is definitely increased NVH. Generally I can live with it, but it does get a bit tiresome every day. Sometimes I wish I'd stuck with rubber, although the handling is great on a twisty road.

I am running Whiteline bushes in "street" hardness, not "race", although at some point I may just return my strut tops & trans mounts to stock to see whether this helps.
                        My e30: OEM+ with M30B35

Comment

Working...
                        X