Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bad Brake Master Cylinder?

Hey guys,

I need some help asap to diagnose my problem this weekend. Today i was driving and my brake pedal has started going down to the floor when i brake. It still brakes slightly at the very bottom. I have read this is most likely a result of a bad master brake cylider. would this be correct? I do no have any leaks in brake lines, and there is no air in the system i dont think. Any info would help!
    sigpic
    91' 318is Brilliantrot
    Yes, it still has an m42

Moved to the appropriate section. The FAQ/DIY section is for staff-approved instructional posts only.
    Originally posted by kronus
    would be in depending on tip slant and tube size

Comment

A failing MC will typically start leaking or will the pedal will start sinking to the floor when light braking and still work ok when firmly braking and progressively get worse.

If it is going straight to the floor it is probably air or not getting fluid. I recently pulled my MC and the grommet for the reservoir was breaking down and there were chucks of rubber that could easily blocked a port.
      My M20 Frankenbuild(s)
      4 Sale - Fully Built TurnKey Megasquirt Plug and Play EMS

Comment

Well at first it was fine when braking hard and then when coming to a stop it would go down further slowly. It goes all the way to the floor now because it's gotten worse. But I'll check out all the grommets and see if any things breaking down. Not sure how air would have gotten in the system I haven't done anything with the brakes like flushing the fluid or anything like that ever.
        sigpic
        91' 318is Brilliantrot
        Yes, it still has an m42

Comment

When you are stopped at a light if the pedal sinks slowly to the floor it's your master cylinder.
          Seat Shocks....I have passed the baton to John Christy from Ninestitch. Email John or Garrett at ninestitch1@gmail.com

https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...86#post4944786
          Alice the Time Capsule
          http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=360504
          87 Zinno Cabrio barn find 98k and still smells like a barn. Build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/show...20#post3455220

Comment

Originally posted by jeffnhiscars View Post
            When you are stopped at a light if the pedal sinks slowly to the floor it's your master cylinder.
            Yea that's what happens, started sinking when stopped. Now ithe MC is gone completely I think so it just always goes to the floor now
            sigpic
            91' 318is Brilliantrot
            Yes, it still has an m42

Comment

Get a 25mm master cylinder when you replace it
              My Garage
              2001 Z3 2.5i Steel Gray/Black (Lexi)
              1988 325ix Diamond Schwartz/Black (Izzy)
              1989 325i Cirrus Blue/Houndstooth (Stitch)
              Feedback

Instagram: Stone.Hopkins

Comment

Your master cylinder could just need new grommet seals underneath reservoir. Just did this to one of my e30's and problem was solved. Another way is to hook up the brake reservoir and do a pressure test. That's how I found my leaks.
                F80 M3 Alpine
                E10 Fjord Blue 2002
                E28 Blackish 535i
                E21 Silver 320i
                Disco1 98 4.6
                ~~~~~~
                E30 Cirrus coupe S50 SOLD
                E30 325i SOLD
                E30 Alpine 325i vert Euro spec SOLD
                E30 Alpine coupe 325is SOLD
                sigpic

Comment

I found a master cylinder and brake booster for not to expensive, so I picked those up and the problem should be solved once I install
                  sigpic
                  91' 318is Brilliantrot
                  Yes, it still has an m42

Comment

Working...
                  X