This is a copy & paste from another thread, so excuse the somewhat irrelevant context of the engine position comments. Engine is a 1.5JZ and trans is a Nissan CD009.
Start Paste:
I'm recently back at it and decided that "while I'm at it", I'll try to get the engine and trans back another 1-1.5".
My limiting factors are two things
1. The engine mounts that I bought years ago aren't great. The passenger side mount was at maximum extension on the mounting slot, meaning it dictated how far back the engine sat (or didn't). Oddly, the driver side still had another inch of adjustment, you just couldn't do it due to the passenger side.
2. The iBooster is tiiiiight. I had to shave both it and the intake manifold where the engine already sat, let alone before sitting it back further. The proximity also meant the intake manifold needed to come off to get the engine in/out. Painful.
A hair is all that was in it..

So to do anything about issue #1, the booster had to move. I decided on 1/2" over and 1" down. This is for no other reason than it would seem to work and not move things too far from the brake pedal.
Feeling very fancy, I made and printed a 3d template to ensure everything would line up between the booster, the firewall, and the pedal box once all is said and done.
The three studs locate the new holes/template via the existing mounting holes, which are to be welded closed later.


After first modifying the pedal box by filling the pushrod hole and extending the mounting plate to take the new bolt locations, I welded the firewall closed.



Then I printed a plug that snapped into the template to give me an accurate hub-centric guide for where the booster protrudes into the firewall. Ignore the messy print as the plug and template are sacrificial and get drilled through. I then drilled through the pedal box and firewall in one, avoiding potential misalignment.



With that it bolted up perfectly in its relocated home, awaiting modification of the pedal (easy).
I don't know how I'll bend the lines tight enough but that is a problem for later.

..and with the engine back in, perfect!

Next is the mounts. Here is how far off of the firewall I was previously limited

Not bad, but it'd be nice to free up space at the front of the engine for what will hopefully be air conditioning.
I previously used hockey pucks as engine mounts and they served me very well @ $2 each, but the engine needs to come up 1/4" to get the sump over the steering rack. I've decided to use upgraded standard e30 mounts, which I of course didn't have yet, so....like a broken record I 3d printed some for mockup (they aren't load bearing as the engine is supported in place from above.
What follows is a hybrid mix of technology and cardboard aided design.
Mount and a baseplate for the soon to be 1/4" steel bracket.

Plate for the block.

In the absence of brains, cardboard trimmed to fit the gap between the two..

Then copied into 3D

That all then gets scribed with confidence/accuracy onto the steel which arrives in a few days. I'll add a buttress of course, but those are the crucial dimensions hopefully sorted. Once welded up I'll cut any unnecessary fat off of the brackets with the plasma cutter.
Hopefully once everything settles on the mounts, and I've modified the gearbox mount, it'll rest here compared to the starting point.



Leave a comment: