Steering rack swap on airbag model question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Steering rack swap on airbag model question

What is everyone using to seal the firewall for steering rack swaps? I just got a 90’ 325is recently that has an E36 M3 rack swapped in it, but it just has an open hole in the firewall where the steering column comes through.

Should I be looking for a grommet for an e36 rack or an e30?
    89’ 325i Coupe Schwarz
    89’ 325i Cabrio Alpine Weiss II
    90’ 325is Schwarz

1990 Brilliantrot 325iS Build Thread
    1989 Zinnoberrot M3 Build Thread

Comment

interesting, isn’t there supposed to be a rubber boot/grommet though? I don’t see how that plate will keep water and dust from entering the car.

89’ 325i Coupe Schwarz
      90’ 325is Schwarz

Comment

You use the boot that is there originally, it stays on the shaft. Just replace the factory plate with one of the offset ones after you open up the hole in the firewall, then press the boot back into place.
        Byron
        Leichtbau

Comment

As above, I make the offset boot carrier plate you’ll need. Drop me a PM if you’d like one.

The sealing boot itself is BMW part# 32311156227.

Comment

Originally posted by E30SPDFRK View Post
            You use the boot that is there originally, it stays on the shaft. Just replace the factory plate with one of the offset ones after you open up the hole in the firewall, then press the boot back into place.
            I bought the car with the rack swapped in, it doesn’t even have a boot on there. Just steering column straight through firewall. Looks like previous owner just cut the factory plate out along with the firewall. Going to have to clean this up and put the offset plate on there. I haven’t ever pulled a steering rack on the e30, would it be easier to just remove the steering column to have access to get the offset plate on firewall and remove the mangled factory one?
            89’ 325i Coupe Schwarz
            90’ 325is Schwarz

Comment

Originally posted by Matt@EDC View Post
              As above, I make the offset boot carrier plate you’ll need. Drop me a PM if you’d like one.

The sealing boot itself is BMW part# 32311156227.
              I’ll likely be buying one of your plates soon thank you.

I tried that part number for the boot and it looks like it’s backordered everywhere online, with no eta from my local dealership. Anyone have any luck with a different boot? Maybe e36?

89’ 325i Coupe Schwarz
              90’ 325is Schwarz

Comment

Originally posted by aavani90 View Post

I bought the car with the rack swapped in, it doesn’t even have a boot on there. Just steering column straight through firewall. Looks like previous owner just cut the factory plate out along with the firewall. Going to have to clean this up and put the offset plate on there. I haven’t ever pulled a steering rack on the e30, would it be easier to just remove the steering column to have access to get the offset plate on firewall and remove the mangled factory one?
                No need to remove the rack to remove the column on an airbag car, you can loosen the compression nut under the kick panel, remove the joint from the rack, then pull the bottom of the shaft out from the bottom. Hopefully the PO didn't cut the mounting nuts off the firewall when they mangled it; you get close to the inside one when opening up the hole.
                Byron
                Leichtbau

Comment

No need to remove the rack to remove the column on an airbag car, you can loosen the compression nut under the kick panel, remove the joint from the rack, then pull the bottom of the shaft out from the bottom. Hopefully the PO didn't cut the mounting nuts off the firewall when they mangled it; you get close to the inside one when opening up the hole.
                  Good to know, thank you for that. No the nuts are still intact, here’s a pic for reference what I’m dealing with. Not as mangled as I make it out to be, but definitely a little ugly. I’m going to be buying the plate from Matt@EDC, now I just need the boot if you have any idea where I can find one since they’re back ordered everywhere.
                  Attached Files
                  89’ 325i Coupe Schwarz
                  90’ 325is Schwarz

Comment

I’ve been searching for a DIY explaining how to separate the steering column so I can swap out the firewall plate with the offset one I got, but can’t find a write up. I’m not trying to remove the whole column, I just need it to separate like an 1/8” inch to be able to slide the new plate on there and remove the old one. Would I still need to remove the rack joint and pull the bottom of the shaft out? This is my first time messing with a steering column, if I loosen that big lock nut will it separate the column enough to slide the new plate on?

89’ 325i Coupe Schwarz
                    90’ 325is Schwarz

Comment

If the steering rack isn't out of the car, it will be more difficult to get the bottom half of the steering shaft out, but it is still possible. Loosen that big compression nut holding the 2 halves together, and the lower part will slide in and out of the upper part. The grease likes to dry up and turn solid over time, so you may need to heat the upper column by the compression nut with a heat gun to get it to move. Remove the shaft from the lower U-joint at the rack before sliding the shaft out the bottom above the rack and oil pan. If the splines were stuck from the old grease, clean both halves of the column well and re-grease them before you reinstall it.
                      Byron
                      Leichtbau

Comment

If the steering rack isn't out of the car, it will be more difficult to get the bottom half of the steering shaft out, but it is still possible. Loosen that big compression nut holding the 2 halves together, and the lower part will slide in and out of the upper part. The grease likes to dry up and turn solid over time, so you may need to heat the upper column by the compression nut with a heat gun to get it to move. Remove the shaft from the lower U-joint at the rack before sliding the shaft out the bottom above the rack and oil pan. If the splines were stuck from the old grease, clean both halves of the column well and re-grease them before you reinstall it.
                        Sorry for not understanding this concept at this point and repeating my question, but I still am curious when you say loosen the big compression nut that holds the 2 halves together, and then the lower part will slide in and out of the upper part, will that give enough of a gap in itself to remove the old plate? Without having to mess with the u joint and removing/unbolting anything else?
                        89’ 325i Coupe Schwarz
                        90’ 325is Schwarz

Comment

No, the lower column needs to be unbolted at the rack in order to slide down enough to separate from the upper half. Loosening the compression nut won't get you anywhere by itself. You will need to do all the steps in my previous post to get the firewall plate off the steering column.
                          Byron
                          Leichtbau

Comment

No, the lower column needs to be unbolted at the rack in order to slide down enough to separate from the upper half. Loosening the compression nut won't get you anywhere by itself. You will need to do all the steps in my previous post to get the firewall plate off the steering column.
                            Ok that’s clear, thank you for your help.
                            89’ 325i Coupe Schwarz
                            90’ 325is Schwarz

Comment

Working...
                            X