Stock springs or not?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stock springs or not?

I recently acquired a 1992 325i convertible and I'm trying to figure out if the rear springs are stock or lowering springs. To my eye, the car looks lower than stock, especially in the back. I took a picture of the right rear spring and you can see the two pink stripes on the spring. I also took a side shot of the car so you can get an idea of how low the car appears to be riding. Can anybody tell if these are the stock springs? If they are, do you think they're sagging or does the car look like it's riding fairly normally for a convertible? Sorry if this has been asked a thousand times before. I did a search of the forum on this but didn't come up with much. Thanks for any help.

Stock springs. Convertibles appear lower in the rear for two reasons. They weigh more and the rear Fender arch is lower.
    "I'd probably take the E30 M3 in this case just because I love that little car, and how tanky that inline 6 is." - thecj

85 323i M TECH 1 S52 - ALPINEWEISS/SCHWARZE
    88 M3 - LACHSSILBER/SCHWARZE
    89 M3 - ALPINEWEISS II/M TECH CLOTH-ALCANTARA
    91 M TECHNIC CABRIO TURBO - MACAOBLAU/M TECH CLOTH-LEATHER

Comment

yep definitely stock springs. the look is more pronounced on the later cars.

Comment

That's what I thought. Thank you for the responses. So, no need to replace those springs due to sagging? Would a thicker spring pad raise the rear end a little with these springs? It's probably not worth the effort, but I'm curious. The rear suspension is pretty soft in general. Hopefully, just new shocks will stiffen it up sufficiently?

Comment

Originally posted by Brilliant325is View Post
          That's what I thought. Thank you for the responses. So, no need to replace those springs due to sagging? Would a thicker spring pad raise the rear end a little with these springs? It's probably not worth the effort, but I'm curious. The rear suspension is pretty soft in general. Hopefully, just new shocks will stiffen it up sufficiently?
          Yes, spring pads are a simple solution to raise it up a bit. New gas shocks will help dampen them but the springs are still going to be soft.
          "I'd probably take the E30 M3 in this case just because I love that little car, and how tanky that inline 6 is." - thecj

85 323i M TECH 1 S52 - ALPINEWEISS/SCHWARZE
          88 M3 - LACHSSILBER/SCHWARZE
          89 M3 - ALPINEWEISS II/M TECH CLOTH-ALCANTARA
          91 M TECHNIC CABRIO TURBO - MACAOBLAU/M TECH CLOTH-LEATHER

Comment

Keep the springs and go with thicker pads top and bottom if possible. Thicker pads have more nubs if you are new to this issue.

Comment

Working...
            X