E46 330 rack into E30

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • mhuynh
    replied
    I will be doing this swap soon also. E46 rack into my 91 318 w/ M50.

    Leave a comment:


  • BaltimoreBimmer
    replied
    I have a 1990 325i Convertible. Production date 07/1989, not sure how it goes with convertibles. Is that considered late model?

    Leave a comment:


  • z28
    replied
    It all depends if your car is an early model or late model.

    Leave a comment:


  • BaltimoreBimmer
    replied
    So any updates on long term e46 rack installs? Looking to replace my bum e30 rack this winter. Only concern is the power steering hoses. People are saying they bolt up with one hose reversed? I haven't actually seen any pictures of installs either. Any information floating around?

    I emailed the rack doctor asking him specifics of this particular swap and he said to give him a call to discuss verbally. Will be getting to that once I am off work.

    I'm reading some threads that say you need to modify your firewall in order to pull this off? This is why I usually end up asking questions on these forums. Everyone seems to leave out incredibly important information on the posts that I manage to find.... People will say they "bolt right up" but then also casually mention how they had to drill holes into the steering knuckle and the knuckle ends up not even fully down on the rack? These are things I would like to know up front before I begin the adventure!

    Leave a comment:


  • e30time
    replied
    Anymore info on this swap??

    Leave a comment:


  • Jean
    replied
    Originally posted by dswenfl
    Just finished the swap and it was easier than i thought, took about 4 hours total. I have an airbag car was ready to modify the firewall, as needed for e36 swaps, but didn't need to. I did need to swap out inner tie rods from my old rack, but it really was a straight forward swap. Had to drill a hole for the steering knuckle a little higher on the shaft, but it still is biting into teeth the hole way. L to R is 3 full turns, will test drive when i put engine back in, hopefully tomorrow. Will post pics later.
    Very cool! Post pics and maybe impressions/review?

    Slow speed
    Fast speed
    Turn in
    Dead-play?

    Leave a comment:


  • e30time
    replied
    I am curious as to your impressions on driving. Looking to do something like this as well.

    Cheers,

    Blake

    Leave a comment:


  • dswenfl
    replied
    Just finished the swap and it was easier than i thought, took about 4 hours total. I have an airbag car was ready to modify the firewall, as needed for e36 swaps, but didn't need to. I did need to swap out inner tie rods from my old rack, but it really was a straight forward swap. Had to drill a hole for the steering knuckle a little higher on the shaft, but it still is biting into teeth the hole way. L to R is 3 full turns, will test drive when i put engine back in, hopefully tomorrow. Will post pics later.

    Leave a comment:


  • dswenfl
    replied
    Originally posted by devon.818
    hey i know this is off topic, sort of...
    i'm thinking of modifying my m20, how much HP is your stroker putting down?
    how much did it cost you?
    appreciate it
    No idea, on the horsepower and the cost....

    Vac Motorsport pistons 1199
    Cam, oil pan and timing cover R3V 25
    Engine block and manual transmission R3V 400
    Sachs Clutch Kit Bav Auto 225
    Bearings gaskets ignition etc Auto Hausz 500
    Lightened Flywheel 12 lbs Machine shop local 150
    Machine work (boring and cleaning) 225

    Total bottom end and transmission 2824

    Top End

    Valve job port and polish/installation of cam 400
    Valves IE 200
    Cam IE 325

    Total top end 925

    Total into engine 3749

    I'm happy with it vs an s5x swap for the mere fact that its true to the car somewhat and I have a new engine, I personally built, that I know the history down to the last bolt. I could quote dyno numbers if I actually cared, but in the end it really comes down to does it drive well...YES

    and yes it will now outrun the wifes 750il

    Leave a comment:


  • devon.818
    replied
    hey i know this is off topic, sort of...
    i'm thinking of modifying my m20, how much HP is your stroker putting down?
    how much did it cost you?
    appreciate it

    Leave a comment:


  • acolella76
    replied
    some e36 guys use ZHP racks in their cars. I assume it would be able to be swapped into the E30 as easy as an E36 rack

    Leave a comment:


  • SA E30
    replied
    I should note that I used e46 M3 racks in my cars not sure if there is a difference. I doubt it in mounting maybe lock to lock.

    Leave a comment:


  • drumad
    replied
    Originally posted by CorvallisBMW
    I've never heard of anyone putting the e46 rack in to an e30, only the e36 rack. Sub'd to see results.
    I remember a thread doing this here somewhere............

    found it



    Last edited by drumad; 03-03-2011, 05:57 AM.

    Leave a comment:


  • SA E30
    replied
    I have one in both my race car, and road e30. Bolts on the same as any other e36/z3 swap.

    I don't know about the PS Lines though, because I run it manual. Also don't know about the rack ends. As I'm using a motorsport style with rod ends on both sides.

    Leave a comment:


  • E30SPDFRK
    replied
    What is this rack doctor you speak of?

    Leave a comment:

Working...