Easiest, best way to change power steering fluid

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Easiest, best way to change power steering fluid

I was checking my fluids, basking in the psudo perfection that is my car now that all the work is done and it occured to me to see the color of the ps fluid which is not visible due to the fact that the little stick on the lid is black so I wiped it on a white paper towel and damn if it is not filthy.

It is the only fluid I have not personally changed so I pulled out the ole Bentley and it gives the capacity, the way to replace the pump, the rack whatever else there is but all it says about the fluid it that it need be Dextron I or II (shit I have been putting ps fluid) and that there is no drain plug and that's it.

So how do I r&r the freaking fluid?

Thanks
    Last edited by parkerbink; 12-02-2005, 09:18 PM.

[IMG]https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/my350z.com-vbulletin/550x225/80-parkerbsig_5096690e71d912ec1addc4a84e99c374685fc03 8.jpg[/IMG

Disconnect some hoses and let it drian until youre satisfied with how empty you've gotten it.
    Adam Fogg- '88 M3

Common sense- It's the new 'gifted'

Comment

Would that not leave the fluid that is in the pump and anywhere else that is before/after the hoses?

Thanks

[IMG]https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/my350z.com-vbulletin/550x225/80-parkerbsig_5096690e71d912ec1addc4a84e99c374685fc03 8.jpg[/IMG

Comment

Originally posted by parkerbink
        Would that not leave the fluid that is in the pump and anywhere else that is before/after the hoses?

Thanks
        Yea, it would, but you'd empty out the bottle as soon as you disconnected the intake hose (easiest one to get); and the bottle is where the majority of the fluid is in the system. Best you can do aside from that is turn the steering lock to lock with something still disconnected (preferably the return line) to get as much out of the rack as possible.

If it really bothers you, you can do a refill, run the car, then drain again to flush it out, but it's not really worth the time.

Whatever you do, don't run the car with no fluid in there. Your pump will hate you for it.
        Adam Fogg- '88 M3

Common sense- It's the new 'gifted'

Comment

Cool, Thanks!

Comment

I am planning on doing this during the christmas break. So is it ok to use ps fluid? I was going to use some Valvoline synthetic ps fluid, or should I take it back and use Dexron.
            sigpic

Comment

There is a large drain bolt on the Rack it self, not sure if it will get all the fluid out, But ussualy when I ship a rack, I undo that bolt and let it sit overnight to get the fluid out.
              85 325e 2.7 ITB'd stroker

Comment

I have been putting ps fluid in since I got the car over a year ago (I have not put in much as it does not leak) Bentley says Dextron I or II and I assume this is why my fluid is black and weird. I figure it must be right if it is in the Bentley.

Originally posted by rs4pro3
                There is a large drain bolt on the Rack it self, not sure if it will get all the fluid out, But ussualy when I ship a rack, I undo that bolt and let it sit overnight to get the fluid out.

Thanks for the tip. I am on my way to the garage to do it.

Comment

Originally posted by trashcop 80s 80s
                  I am planning on doing this during the christmas break. So is it ok to use ps fluid? I was going to use some Valvoline synthetic ps fluid, or should I take it back and use Dexron.

the system is designed for ATF. don't use anything else if you like your car.. and it's not like it's hard to find or anything.
                  Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

You are supposed to use ATF as stated in the Bentley.
                    I guess PS fluid will work temporarily (as you figured out), but it is best to switch to ATF next time.
                    -Erik

Comment

Originally posted by rs4pro3
                      The one that is a 22mm? I tried pulling that once, then there was another nut, I pulled that off and nothing came out. I think the only way to do it is to pull a hose.

Would it work if I pulled the return line and had someone turning the wheel while I add fluid in the tank to give it a flush? THe fluid looks pretty nasty and I want to try to get as much out as I can.
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by erik325i
                        You are supposed to use ATF as stated in the Bentley.
                        I guess PS fluid will work temporarily (as you figured out), but it is best to switch to ATF next time.
                        -Erik
                        Yeah, it also says ATF ONLY right on the cap of the resevoir.

RISING EDGE

Let's drive fast and have fun.

Comment

Use ATF.

My shitty ass instructer at school told me i could use PS fluid, and after we did a flush(we have a nifty machine) about a week later it started leaking like a MOFO. So i had to flush it again with ATF. Still leaking, but not as bad as before.

Do some people not see that it says ATF ONLY on the cap? and just sit there and STILL put in the wrong stuff? I did it only because I believed my instructer, plus all the fluid was free. I dont think it hurt anything, but i'm doing a new rack soon(mines fubared)

Kyle
                          1988 M3, 97 840, 99 XJ
                          DILLIGAF

Comment

Mine does not say that, why is it a stretch to think POWER STEERING FLUID would go in the POWER STEERING SYSTEM? I have had no ill effects and I have now fully flushed my system & put in ATF.

Comment

just check ur owners book, should say it in there.

Glad you got it changed...

Kyle
                              1988 M3, 97 840, 99 XJ
                              DILLIGAF

Comment

Working...
                              X