Sway Bar options

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sway Bar options

Just wondering if anyone could help me out here...

I've got a 1991 318is, I'm looking into thicker sways. Just something for hard street use, not track. What do you recommend?

I've been looking into the IE 22/19 kit, but I don't think I can afford it new, any other options?

1987 325 | @e30_hunter |

The IE would be a good option and the Bimmerworld 22/19mm kit would be the best option.
    The car makes it possible, but the driver makes it happen.
    Jim Levie, Huntsville, AL

Comment

22/19 is pretty stiff for DD use IMO, which is what I run, but if I was not tracking/autoxing the car, I would go softer, all depending on the quality of roads where you live. Also if upgrading bars, strengthen the front subframe mounting, and the rear trailing mounting points. I know IE and AKG both sell them.

Comment

Originally posted by jlevie View Post
        The IE would be a good option and the Bimmerworld 22/19mm kit would be the best option.
        Jim, what makes the Bimmerworld kit a better option?

Comment

Originally posted by Nsquared97 View Post
          Jim, what makes the Bimmerworld kit a better option?
          in for answer too

Comment

It is the shape of the bars that makes them better.

Comment

Originally posted by JRYE30 View Post
              Just wondering if anyone could help me out here...

I've got a 1991 318is, I'm looking into thicker sways. Just something for hard street use, not track. What do you recommend?

I've been looking into the IE 22/19 kit, but I don't think I can afford it new, any other options?
              If money is the problem, Use the rear bar from an IX (19mm) and the front bar from a cabrio (22mm)

I run these on my 318i, Replace the stock bushings with something harder, and run new end links. Decent street setup.

OOPS, IX bar= 14.5mm, Brainfart.
              Last edited by oldmann; 12-04-2012, 07:05 AM. Reason: correction

Comment

Originally posted by oldmann View Post
                If money is the problem, Use the rear bar from an IX (19mm) and the front bar from a cabrio (22mm)

I run these on my 318i, Replace the stock bushings with something harder, and run new end links. Decent street setup.
                the ix/m3 rear bar is 14.5mm, not 19mm. but, it'll still be a cheap upgrade over the 318is's 12.5mm bar.
                Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

It is the shape of the bars that makes them better.
                  Jim, I know we agree and disagree on some things, this is one where I will disagree. Have looked into this pretty extensively.
                  ADAMS Autosport

Comment

Well I used to have the IE sways on my Spec E30, but changed to the Bimmerworld sways on the advice of a pro coach that spent a couple of days with me at VIR. There is a very noticeable improvement in the car's handling. Comparing the two, with the IE sways the car sort of wallowed around in cornering transitions. With the BMW sways of I don't feel that. To get acceptable balance I had to run the IE rear sway full soft and even that was more than desirable. The BW rear sway at full stiff is close to perfect.

So the shape of the sways makes a big difference.

Comment

Well I used to have the IE sways on my Spec E30, but changed to the Bimmerworld sways on the advice of a pro coach that spent a couple of days with me at VIR. There is a very noticeable improvement in the car's handling. Comparing the two, with the IE sways the car sort of wallowed around in cornering transitions. With the BMW sways of I don't feel that. To get acceptable balance I had to run the IE rear sway full soft and even that was more than desirable. The BW rear sway at full stiff is close to perfect.

So the shape of the sways makes a big difference.
                      to be fair that could be your personal driving style no?

Comment

jlevie could you post some pic?
                        I am curious. I have the IE bars front and rear curious if this would be a good winter upgrade
                        sigpic"If one does not fail at times, then one has not challenged himself." -Ferdinand Porsche
                        The ugly car: http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=209713

Comment

I think I'm going this route after all that haha.

IX 14.5mm
                          Cabrio 22mm

Is there a good bushing/endlink kit? for this size?

Originally posted by oldmann View Post

1987 325 | @e30_hunter |

Comment

Originally posted by bastianshaw View Post
                            to be fair that could be your personal driving style no?
                            No. What you do with a race car is determined by the corner. Well assuming you want to be competitive.

Comment

Originally posted by bmwguy325is View Post
                              jlevie could you post some pic?
                              I am curious. I have the IE bars front and rear curious if this would be a good winter upgrade
                              pics of what ?
                              go to bimmerworld and look at them?

Comment

Working...
                              X