IX w/ GC i am going to do it

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

IX w/ GC i am going to do it

Okay i am speaking to the ix guys. I have decided i want to run some wide wheels and thus i am going to need a stiffer suspension. The only solution in this case is Ground Control.

1.) where can i get ix koni's, will anyone have the fronts in stock? where?
    2.) how do i get ahold of that ix GC guy?
    3.) What spring rates - not daily driven so i am thinking aggressive/stiff but not overbearing.
    4.) planning on running 17x8.5's I did the math and w/ a stiffer suspension i can do it. going w/ these

5.) Add comments and don't be a bitch..i am willing to pave the way a bit here w/ this stuff. I love being different.
    6.) who makes a 10mm spacer
    Last edited by DrMcDave; 01-16-2006, 04:35 PM.

I can't help with your iX issues, and spring rates are going to be a lot different (which I am sure you realize) so don't listen when people try to tell you the rates they used on their rwd E30's.

It's going to look so hot when its done though, whats your time frame?

Just so you know, nobody makes hubcentric 10mm spacers. Its too big to have any of the hub still sticking out, but too small to have its own lip. You can either go with 5mm (no lip) or 8mm (no lip, its going to be really hard to mount your rims with these) or 15mm (lip).

RISING EDGE

Let's drive fast and have fun.

Comment

Um.. the spacers I had on my car for the MM11-2's were 10mm and hubcentric...
      Tenured Automotive Service Professional - Avid BMW Enthusiast

Vapor Honing & E30 ABS Pump Refurbishment Service
      https://mtechniqueabs.com/

Comment

i had 20mm hubcentric spacers on my gti. h&r trak spacers to be exact.

Comment

Originally posted by euro gangsta
          Sorry, I'm all out of cookies.

Comment

Originally posted by euro gangsta
            Yeah, well what the hell does that have to do with this thread?

Jordan, were they Tire Rack spacers? Did the have their own lip? I should rephrase what I said, H&R doesn't make 10mm spacers and I am not sure who does.

RISING EDGE

Comment

Yeah, they are the "tirerack" ones.

Comment

well since someone posted i'll update this. It doesn't look like those are going to work. I spoke with about 4 people today working on this situation.

I was advised that the way ground control is setup on the ix its just not that good of a match. So the GC idea is out the window. However tunershop is doing some research for me to see about doing a custom KW setup instead. Also they are working on seeing if my RPI bbk will fit under a set of 16x8 schmidt modernlines. It looks like the time frame just got a bit longer.

I will keep the thread updated on what is going on. i still like the brocks but i talked to a guy that tracks his ix and he said he was talking me out of GC no matter what it takes (in so many words). But i did find out i can fit 225 under there so that was good news.

Comment

Why exactly would it be bad to run GC's but KW coilovers would be ok?

RISING EDGE

Comment

Originally posted by DrMcDave
                    well since someone posted i'll update this. It doesn't look like those are going to work. I spoke with about 4 people today working on this situation.

I was advised that the way ground control is setup on the ix its just not that good of a match. So the GC idea is out the window. However tunershop is doing some research for me to see about doing a custom KW setup instead. Also they are working on seeing if my RPI bbk will fit under a set of 16x8 schmidt modernlines. It looks like the time frame just got a bit longer.

I will keep the thread updated on what is going on. i still like the brocks but i talked to a guy that tracks his ix and he said he was talking me out of GC no matter what it takes (in so many words). But i did find out i can fit 225 under there so that was good news.
                    who told you this? I know GC doesn't want to do it because they probably don't want to support you (there's no money in the ix for them). any specifics on why they don't think it will work? it can't be because it won't fit, the ix has the same spring diameter as other E30s, and the rear is definetly a direct bolt in.

I would talk to scott before you throw that idea completely out the window (sadare at aol.com). There's a guy with an ix rally car using GC (got his setup from scott), and he seems pretty happy with it so far. Scott's been tracking ix's for years so he should know something.
                    Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

nando thats who i talked to. Scott and i talked for about 45 mins. Scott said he didn't think it was the right setup for me and really didn't want to sell it to me, but said he would if i really wanted it. I told him what i wanted and he said it didn't seem like the right thing to do.

Comment

any reason? maybe because it's not a track only car? the only hard thing should be choosing the correct rates. I was thinking of starting with 400/500 and going from there - they are cheap enough that you could change them later if you don't like the feel.
                        Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Originally posted by Digitalwave
                          Why exactly would it be bad to run GC's but KW coilovers would be ok?
                          he said that the length of the springs was the problem. That a 5 inch spring would be the same as where i am now height wise and the 6 inch would be too long. He also said some stuff about spring rates and improper valving of struts. There was a bunch of reasons. It was basically unless you are racing this car you don't need GC. Also he didn't want me to have to cut my spring perch to install the GC because, what if i wanted to go back (ix ones are spendy). I'll tell you know thing the man really knows what he is talking about.

The KW i like because they completely rebuild the strut housing and since i was calling them about wheels, this will allow them to dial in my big brake kit, my suspension and wheels to all work in harmony.

Comment

yeah he's probably right. I'll have a second set of ix struts so I wouldn't personally worry about cutting the perch, but I'd probably have to have my front konis revalved to match whatever springs I got. It sounds like it could be fine but it's more complicated than a standard E30.

sounds like KW would be right for you. do you have to send them your struts, and they modify them? can they do anything for more negative camber?
                            Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Originally posted by nando
                              yeah he's probably right. I'll have a second set of ix struts so I wouldn't personally worry about cutting the perch, but I'd probably have to have my front konis revalved to match whatever springs I got. It sounds like it could be fine but it's more complicated than a standard E30.

sounds like KW would be right for you. do you have to send them your struts, and they modify them? can they do anything for more negative camber?
                              i am waiting on an email to find out. Not sure what they could do about negative camber besides giving me the ability to go lower, but isn't the problem w/ using camber plates on the ix the top of the strut? Maybe when they make them they could use the standard e30 top mount and camber plates could be used?

Comment

Working...
                              X