Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is anyone (besides the dude that works at MCS) running MCS coilovers?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Liquidity View Post
    Those brakes gotta have the clamping force of a bench vise. Jesus.
    :) They are a little on the strong side. My own kit using Stoptech STR43 calipers and AP Racing J-hook rotors.

Once the PFC01 pads get some temp in them it is like hitting the pause button :) A good match in overkill to the MCS dampers.
    88 325is. S54, CSL airbox, Motec M800, Motec C127, Motec PDM15, Stoptech STR, MCS 2 way coilovers, Forgeline wheels, Recaro SPA, Eisenmann, Personal, lots of custom.

90 318is. As new OEM+, BBS LM, AST 4210 2 way coilovers, Wilwood SL6R/SL4R, Dynaudio, Recaro Experts

Comment

Mind if I ask how much a set of those brakes cost? Are you using custom hats or something off the shelf? Your car is insane!

BTW be careful with how tight you clamp the canisters in the middle like that. The piston inside can sometimes get stuck or restricted when clamped too tight.
      -Alex

Comment

The brake cost.. Well they're a little OTT. They are my own creation and probably not economically viable for most E30 :)

Pics below show the current version of the rotor hats. I intend to make a few of these kits once I'm 100% satisfied with the design & spec. We're 99% there now.

Per below pics, the hats are 7075 T651 and the bobbins are 4340 cro mo. Hats will be anodised, bobbins will be tuftrided.

The hats allow for radial expansion of the rotors via elongated slots in the hat itelf. The bobbins lock into the hat to allow the rotor to be attached and tightened / removed with a single tool only. Hardware is 12,9 M8 SHCS. The approach taken with the bobbins is an adaption of Brembos "D type bobbin". The fronts are basically just a bit bigger than the Brembo size with a bigger lip to lock against. The rears work in reverse to allow rear float with a parking shoe (concentric to rotor, not the hat)

The rear hats are also fully floating with a unique approach to providing float and OEM hand brake functionality.

Front

Back

(rear rotors attached backwards, thanks for paying attention)

I'll do some better pics once I get the next version done (and polished & anodised)

thanks for the tip on the clamp, will check that.

burkey
        88 325is. S54, CSL airbox, Motec M800, Motec C127, Motec PDM15, Stoptech STR, MCS 2 way coilovers, Forgeline wheels, Recaro SPA, Eisenmann, Personal, lots of custom.

90 318is. As new OEM+, BBS LM, AST 4210 2 way coilovers, Wilwood SL6R/SL4R, Dynaudio, Recaro Experts

Comment

What diameter are those rotors? That looks like an amazing kit.
          88 325is - S52 powered

Originally posted by King Arthur
          We'll not risk another frontal assault, that rabbit's dynamite!

Comment

The rotors and the calipers are based around 'late model stock car' product catalogues from AP and StopTech. This is best because:
            - designed to fit in 15inch wheel
            - cheap, plentiful parts

The rotors are 11.75 x 1.25inch

Comment

Those are awesome!!:up:
              -Christian

'02 ///M3 CarbonSchwartz 6MT daily beast
              08/91 Mtechnic II 325IC alpine/lotus
              318iS, slow build/garage queen...
              '37 Chevy pickup, the über project
              Originally posted by roguetoaster
              Be sure to remind them that the M42 is one of the best engines ever made, but be sure to not mention where it actually falls on that list.

Comment

planning on purchasing MCS set up over the winter. How did you like yours?
                1990 e30 325is S50 swap (NASA GTS2 race car)
                1990 e30 325is
                1988 e30 M3 S50 euro swap

Comment

Worth the money, would buy again

Comment

I have a set of the two way non remotes on my pro3 car. They're amazing and made a convert of this life long Koni girl.

Have the two way remotes now on my subie as well (nationally competitive autocross car), based on how much I loved the MCS on the e30.

They're worth it. Period.
                    Mina Ingraham (ICSCC / ORSCCA)
                    1986 325 (ICSCC Pro 3 # 277)
                    2004 WRX STi (STUL3) * 2006 ZX6J

Comment

Any of you MCS people still around? How have they been treating you?

RISING EDGE

Let's drive fast and have fun.

Comment

Still superb

Comment

Originally posted by burkey001 View Post
                          Still superb
                          How are those brakes holding up? have any more pics of them installed?
                          My E30 v1.0 | v2.0 | v3.0 | My E28 |My E34 | My feedback

Comment

Originally posted by Eric View Post

I find that they need stronger anti rattle clips for the pfc pads i am using. Maybe the pfc pad is slightly small but i get some pad knockback which means i need to tap the brakes before i need to brake. Which takes getting used to and not ideal. Haven't driven the car in over a year, so would like to try something stiffer / thicker just haven't got around to it 🙂

Comment

Originally posted by Eric View Post

coupla pics

And a pic of the car 😊

Comment

Wow, that is incredible.

RISING EDGE

Let's drive fast and have fun.

Comment

Working...
                                X