Track + Street setup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Track + Street setup

Did my first track day yesterday and instantly i knew i needed to upgrade my suspension, i'm going to be frequenting the track often now. Also ill be driving the car on the street.

First things first I'm not installing coil overs.

And i'm set on getting a Bilstein setup like the B12 with H & R sport springs,
    or would i go http://www.turnermotorsport.com/p-41...n-package.aspx

Also for sway bars i'm not sure to go with the IE 22/19 kit or the IE 25/22.
    With the turner Motorsport lower link reinforcement kit for the rear.

Please give me some advice
    Last edited by jules325i; 06-01-2014, 01:44 AM.

329i

I would recommend getting just a front sway bar and running either the stock rear or no rear sway bar. I would get the 25mm IE front bar. If you are wiling to spend the money I would recommend koni shocks because they will ride much better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Sorry but before recommending what size sways, I need to know what kind of racing your doing (tight and technical [autoX] or broad and sweeping). Also how do you like the car to feel? Get this questions a couple times a day so I like to think I know what I'm talking about.

Bilsteins will be fine for what you're doing.

I do feel confident that you'd be better served by H&R Race or IE3's over the sports if this is going to be a dual purpose car.
      ADAMS Autosport

Comment

Originally posted by SkiFree View Post
        Sorry but before recommending what size sways, I need to know what kind of racing your doing (tight and technical [autoX] or broad and sweeping). Also how do you like the car to feel? Get this questions a couple times a day so I like to think I know what I'm talking about.

Bilsteins will be fine for what you're doing.

I do feel confident that you'd be better served by H&R Race or IE3's over the sports if this is going to be a dual purpose car.
        The track day events the car does are on long sweeping type corners not tight, or auto x, and quite frequently.

i'd like the car to feel tight and maintain the most grip even through bumps.
        Ive heard the 25/22 kit makes the back end easy to slide, which i dont want.

329i

Comment

Originally posted by jules325i View Post
          The track day events the car does are on long sweeping type corners not tight, or auto x, and quite frequently.

i'd like the car to feel tight and maintain the most grip even through bumps.
          Ive heard the 25/22 kit makes the back end easy to slide, which i dont want.
          If it is a dual purpose car. Go with hr race or ie springs and billy sports. I just swapped from raceland to hr race & billies. Handling is better and firmer, gives me more confidence. Run a stiffer fsb. And stock or no rsb. Having no rear will maintain grip, autox people do it so the inside rear tire doesn't lift on turn in. Giving you more traction and since we are rwd able to use throttle earlier in turns. If you want to drift run a stiff rsb

Originally posted by SterlingMetE30 View Post
          For the final decision I ended up with hr race and billies. I will tell everyone that they ride nicer, less bouncy, 1" higher than the racelands. And they're firmer so If I hit a medium size bump. The front shocks aren't banging on the bump stops. Less roll and no more fender rubbing from the previous owners tire choice of 205/55r16 on 16x9" wheels. I am completely Satisfied with my purchase for $575 with shipping. And the front assembly attached still. Thanks for all of the input. As I am sure going from stock to hr race seem rather drastic in comfort, which I have ridden in stock, super cushy. But from racelands to hr race. The change was an improvement.

Comment

What's fsb/rsb? Obviously front/rear something... spring...bushing? Bumpstop? I wish there was an acronym thread on here somewhere.

Comment

Originally posted by SterlingMetE30 View Post
              Run a stiffer fsb. And stock or no rsb. Having no rear will maintain grip, autox people do it so the inside rear tire doesn't lift on turn in. Giving you more traction and since we are rwd able to use throttle earlier in turns. If you want to drift run a stiff rsb

http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=319384
              See this depends on the kind of track and driving. If the tracks Jule's is racing on tend to be more sweeping than the tighter autoX turns then the 25/22 is a nice setup (I've seen too many people choke way up on the rear bar, set it full loose). Obviously both the track layout and the driver's style come into play, one person's setup is not transferable to another's.

-------------------------------------------------
              fsb=front sway bar
              rsb=rear sway bar
              ADAMS Autosport

Comment

See this depends on the kind of track and driving. If the tracks Jule's is racing on tend to be more sweeping than the tighter autoX turns then the 25/22 is a nice setup (I've seen too many people choke way up on the rear bar, set it full loose). Obviously both the track layout and the driver's style come into play, one person's setup is not transferable to another's.

fsb=front sway bar
                rsb=rear sway bar
                So i go with H & R Race with bilstein sport, and you dont think my rear end traction will be compromised with the larger 25/22 kit.
                The tightest corner ill be hitting will be at about 40mph.

329i

Comment

For what you're doing I think you'll be nicely setup from a technical standpoint.

However I cannot factor in your driving style or ability, that's something you'll need to determine for yourself. If you are worried you can always compromise with a 25/19 setup (just pm).
                  ADAMS Autosport

Comment

22 seems like an awful lot of rear bar to me

would want the rear reinforcements for those
                    89 E30 325is Lachs Silber - currently M20B31, M20B33 in the works, stroked to the hilt...

new build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=317505

Comment

I've always thought that no rear sway with a big bar up front would be a horrible setup in these cars. Personally I think it would be impossible to be fast with a 318 and that setup, and even a 325 seems a bit suspect. Do these cars really make that much power?

Sent from my LG-E980 using Tapatalk
                      '84 318i M10B18 147- Safari Beige
                      NA: 93whp/90ftlbs, MS2E w/ LC, 2-Step
                      Turbo: 221whp/214ftlbs, MS3x flex @ 17psi

Comment

Ground Control
                        -Christian

'02 ///M3 CarbonSchwartz 6MT daily beast
                        08/91 Mtechnic II 325IC alpine/lotus
                        318iS, slow build/garage queen...
                        '37 Chevy pickup, the über project
                        Originally posted by roguetoaster
                        Be sure to remind them that the M42 is one of the best engines ever made, but be sure to not mention where it actually falls on that list.

Comment

You'll want reinforcements (as included in the ie sway kits) for any bar size on a tracked e30.

Jaxx - As mentioned there is no "one size fits all" for tracked E30's. Depending on track layout, driver's style, and existing spring rates. The setup you mentioned is actually considered ideal for many autox'ers. It wouldn't be ideal for Jule's plans. I've NEVER seen any benefit to anything larger than 25mm in the front, outside of marketing jibberish.

GENERALLY speaking,
                          AutoX: BIG front bar, SMALL rear bar (usually 25/19 is what ends up working well).
                          Drifting: SMALL front bar, BIG rear bar
                          TIGHT circuit: "Balanced-style" setup, or "autoX-style" setup depending on driver
                          OPEN circuit: Balanced bar setup 22/19, or 25/22.

Also remember that these bars are ADJUSTABLE and the rear bar is especially sensitive to adjustment.

DER E30 - Ground Control (great guys as we all know) do not make swaybars for the E30.
                          Last edited by SkiFree; 06-09-2014, 05:07 PM.
                          ADAMS Autosport

Comment

fsb=front sway bar
                            rsb=rear sway bar
                            Yes a drivers preference and track do come into play. I am not completely familiar with rwd set ups yet as the last car I played with was fwd. as for springs and struts. Hr race and billies sports and well matched sways are a good way to go. Especially since it is a track/ street car. I am currently running stock sways. And will swap them out once I fix more pressing issues to my car such as my steering rack.

Comment

Well, I was going to post a thread regarding how much swaybar is too much bar. I think this thread has helped. My current setup is factory is fsb (switching to 21mmfsb soon), oe m3 rsb and Eibach prokit w bilstein sports. It works ok for dd but rolls a lot in tight turns. I'm currently waiting on a 550/450 ground control setup to replace the Eibachs.

After driving a friends modified sti w big bars, I think I'm going to stick w stock bars. His car was flat in turns but if you hit a bump mid turn, it would step out on you. A little unnerving when getting ready to merge off an onramp!
                              09 BMW 328xi touring 6spd
                              05 Subaru Outback XT 5spd
                              87 BMW 325is
                              a few bicycles

Comment

Working...
                              X