Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Q: What tool to remove strut gland nut?

Pardon my stupidity, but I've never seen a fastener like this:

What is the method to remove it? Is the flimsy plastic outer sleeve important? I don't mind buying a tool if needed, I already have 100 special tools for the E30; the engineers in the 80's just loved specialty fasteners.

edit: Where do I get new gland nuts? Dealership? I'm installing KYB's that don't come with new gland nuts.
    Last edited by funcrew; 06-14-2014, 06:40 PM.
    "If the sky were to fall tomorrow, the tall would die first."

-Dr. Paul Forrester

Do I LOOK like I need a psychological evaluation???

Take the rubber thing off and use a pipe wrench.
    Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

Comment

It should take a pin spanner. I wouldn't buy one but instead go at it with a pipe wrench and use the new gland nut that comes with the bilsteins.

Comment

But do as the others said. Otherwise, put the old gland nut in a vice, and rotate the housing, that is IF you removed the whole thing off the car.

Comment

Big pipe wrench. But once it is barely loose, my angle grinder wrench fits perfectly in the holes.

In case there's someone out there who has never experienced the joy of an angle grinder:
          Originally posted by priapism
          My girl don't know shit, but she bakes a mean cupcake.
          Originally posted by shameson
          Usually it's best not to know how much money you have into your e30

Comment

I've always used big pliers or a pipe wrench. If you're upgrading to something like Bilstein the spanner for the stock gland nuts will be pointless because Bilstein uses a different gland nut.

Originally posted by ROLLingKING
            i have a bronzit and plan on making it look sweet.
            Originally posted by slammin.e28
            Moral of this story?

If you drive your e30 on stairs, you're gonna have a bad time.

Comment

Thanks to all for your replies. I guess I'm lucky; I tore off the plastic covers, and soaked the gland nuts overnight in penetrating oil. Couldn't find a pin spanner wrench on Sunday in Las Vegas, so got a 24 inch monkey wrench from harbor freight. Bolted the strut to a wheel, had my son stand on the tire, applied the wrench and the nut spun off with no drama whatsoever. They joys of working on a rust-free California car. Thanks again for your patience with my noob questions and issues.
              "If the sky were to fall tomorrow, the tall would die first."

-Dr. Paul Forrester

Do I LOOK like I need a psychological evaluation???

Comment

Glad I'm not the only one who immediately jumped to the pipe wrench solution.
                For all things 24v, check out Markert Motorworks!
                Originally posted by mbonanni
                I hate modded emtree, I hate modded cawrz, I hate jdm, I hate swag, I hate stanceyolokids, I hate bags (on cars), I hate stuff that is slowz, I hate tires.

I am a pursit now.

Comment

Originally posted by Roysneon View Post
                  Glad I'm not the only one who immediately jumped to the pipe wrench solution.
                  every car i've done. pipe wrench...
                  Much wow
                  I hate 4 doors

Comment

Working...
                  X