Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Koni/ Ground Control shocks Read Before Installing!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KIRIEIW
    replied
    Originally posted by 2mAn View Post
    But with Camber plates versus the regular strut mounts aren’t you introduced a lot more noise and road feel into the cabin? Makes sense to “tighten it up” for a race at but I’m aiming for a good street setup.... yes I could’ve done a spring / shock combo but my GC/ Koni coilover setup is almost the same price so why not? Plus I can fine tune the rates to perfectly suit me

Nope, no noticeable difference in noise/ anything. If your looking to save a few bucks though I'd say just skip the camber plates and instead put some new top mounts in.

Also IMO you might as well do the GC kit route over a spring/ shock set up like you said. GC is a little more money of course but it's nice you'll have the adjustment, plus you have multiple options for spring rates.

Side note, If you don't shorten the strut housings.. make sure at the very least you cut off the stock spring perchs and weld on the GC perches. I originally assembled everything without cutting the stock perches off but it didn't lower the car enough. Pics bellow from my old coupe on OEM top hats, non shortened strut housings, and GC spring perches.

Last edited by KIRIEIW; 03-17-2019, 11:20 PM.

Leave a comment:

• jeffnhiscars
    replied
    If you read closely they are actually Boge-Sachs :)

Leave a comment:

• me_john85
    replied
    Just to follow up, I used Sachs upper mounts PN 31331139452. They fit a 22mm socket just fine.

Leave a comment:

• 2mAn
    replied
    But with Camber plates versus the regular strut mounts aren’t you introduced a lot more noise and road feel into the cabin? Makes sense to “tighten it up” for a race at but I’m aiming for a good street setup.... yes I could’ve done a spring / shock combo but my GC/ Koni coilover setup is almost the same price so why not? Plus I can fine tune the rates to perfectly suit me

Leave a comment:

• KIRIEIW
    replied
    I measured way back in the day, not even a thin wall socket is going to fit in this situation. The opening is just too small no mater what you do to tighten that 22mm top nut using the stock top mounts.

2Man, had no complaints with the set up at all. Eventually I did pick up a set of GC camber plates though. Really the only reason I picked them up was for the simple reason that the camber plates lower your car an additional 12mm in comparison to the normal top mounts (well plus you can adjust the camber to get a little less tire wear).

Click image for larger version

Name:	CCPE30TOURING-3.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	104.1 KB
ID:	7201074

Leave a comment:

• AndrewBird
    replied
    Craftsman socket are overly thick. Other name brands tend to be thinner and fit fine. I have an off-brand set of deep wells that fit as well. Just have to find a socket that is slimmer, or buy one and turn/grind it down to fit.

Oh, and the wrench they were talking about was probably something like this:

This allows you to get an hex wrench in there to hold the strut shaft from turning. Technically you aren't supposed to use an impact, but I always have and haven't had an issue. :shrug:

Leave a comment:

• 2mAn
    replied
    so how was the ride with the stock strut mount and the GC/Koni setup?

I need to check my Konis to see what size the top nut is, and also need to find the collars, but I think already... fun surprises. thanks for making this thread

Leave a comment:

• KIRIEIW
    replied
    Originally posted by me_john85 View Post
    Do all new aftermarket strut mounts have the wider opening? I am running into the same issue with my 1987. The links are dead so I am just trying to find a part number that will work with my Koni shocks.

Like I said, both brands "Boge" and "Meyle" top hats will work just fine. Glad my thread finally helped someone, totally forgot about it. Back when I was just a rookie :D.

Leave a comment:

• LowR3V'in
    replied
    i recently used meyle and ya it has the big hole.
    also my konis use a 19mm nut. maybe just go to the hardware store and get a 19mm nut instead of that 22.

Leave a comment:

• me_john85
    replied
    Do all new aftermarket strut mounts have the wider opening? I am running into the same issue with my 1987. The links are dead so I am just trying to find a part number that will work with my Koni shocks.

Leave a comment:

• DRTSRFR
    replied
    Stem nut, not the Gland nut.:)

Leave a comment:

• Northern
    replied
    OEM gland nut worked fine with konis for me, except for rubbing on springs, which a grinder took care of.

Leave a comment:

• Herr Faust Schinken
    replied
    Hey just Fyi, I'm putting in Konis in my car and the top nut is a 19mm, i think its varies

Leave a comment:

• KIRIEIW
    replied
    Originally posted by jeffnhiscars View Post
    To make things even more convoluted, Boge is an OEM shock mount
    Interesting.. Well you can clearly see from the pics that 22mm didn't fit in my top mount. A member on here told me using a Boge top mount would allow a 22mm socket to fit in, I never tried fitment myself. I guess the best thing people can do is try to fit a 22mm socket in your top mount before removing everything to double check you won't get stuck like I did. Best advice I can give.

Leave a comment:

• jeffnhiscars
    replied
    To make things even more convoluted, Boge is an OEM shock mount

Leave a comment:

Working...
X