Dent in Strut housing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dent in Strut housing

In the process of installing new struts and springs I realized there was a dent in my housing. The previous owner apparently used thinner than stock struts to work around this, but mine won’t fit. Any possible solutions to getting the dent out or is it toast?

We clearly don't know how bad it is, but you can probably stick a piece of pipe down there to bash out the dent. If more of a pointy dent you could drill through it and use a slide hammer to pull it out. Obviously, don't compromise the integrity of your strut.

Comment

Originally posted by roguetoaster View Post
      We clearly don't know how bad it is, but you can probably stick a piece of pipe down there to bash out the dent. If more of a pointy dent you could drill through it and use a slide hammer to pull it out. Obviously, don't compromise the integrity of your strut.
      That’s pretty much the best solution I can think of. I was going to heat the area with a torch and then hammer down some pipe

Comment

Originally posted by roguetoaster View Post
        That’s pretty much the best solution I can think of. I was going to heat the area with a torch and then hammer down some pipe

Comment

I wouldn't use a torch on it or any critical suspension component heating it like that could ruin any treatment done to the steel and significantly weaken the part.

IG @turbovarg
          '91 318is, M20 turbo
          [CoTM: 4-18]
          '94 525iT slicktop, M50B30 + S362SX-E, 600WHP DD or bust
          - updated 3-17

Comment

Working...
          X