Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Going lower in front without shortening strut housing??

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Going lower in front without shortening strut housing??

    Hi all,

    New E30 owner here. It's a project between my dad and I. We've always wanted to work on a classic together as father and son. Unfortunately I'm expat working outside the US, so because of COVID I'm stuck ordering the parts while my dad has the responsibility of putting them on (and luxury of actually driving the car!).

    We decided to go with the Ground Control Coilover Conversion Kit + GC standard Koni adjustables. And while happy with our purchase for the most part, we found that the front is sitting a little high (for our tastes) despite being at the maxed out low setting. We've already cut the spring perch per GC's instructions.

    After a bunch of research I know that a lot of people just shorten the strut housing. But we just purchased these Koni Strut Inserts and my dad likes how they ride, so we're looking for another way to get a bit more drop without shortening the struts this having to buy new shorter iX inserts.

    I found some old threads on here where some owners sourced 5" inch springs to put up front and get more drop? Where can I purchase these? GC's website only lists 6" inch springs as the lowest, and that's what we currently have on. Also does trimming/removing the bump stop allow for more drop maybe? I also something about trimming the adjustment sleeve to make it more flush with the top of the strut? These are all potential solutions that I've read about on older threads on R3V but would like a little more detail, if possible...

    Below I've provided some pics of exactly what we're working with:

    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_8916.JPG Views:	6 Size:	44.0 KB ID:	9964327 Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_8915.JPG Views:	5 Size:	35.4 KB ID:	9964328 Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_8917.JPG Views:	5 Size:	58.0 KB ID:	9964329

    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8459.JPG
Views:	98
Size:	70.2 KB
ID:	9964342

    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8458.JPG
Views:	98
Size:	79.6 KB
ID:	9964343





    Thanks!
    Last edited by Esanju; 12-09-2020, 09:30 AM.

    #2
    Im no help but whats it look like from a profile pic of the car?
    Im thinking about GC coils as wel.

    Comment


      #3
      Just edited some pics in the OP. As you can see, a lot of front gap still.

      Comment


        #4
        You can either go with camber plates that have a thinner stack height and/or 5" coils up front. Cheapest thing to do is remove the adjuster so that the spring rests on the bottom perch but of course you lose your adjustability. You can do this in combination with a 5" spring if you want to go even lower without having to replace the camber plates. All depends on how much lower you want to go.
        "I'd probably take the E30 M3 in this case just because I love that little car, and how tanky that inline 6 is." - thecj

        85 323i M TECH 1 S52 - ALPINEWEISS/SCHWARZE
        88 M3 - LACHSSILBER/SCHWARZE
        89 M3 - ALPINEWEISS II/M TECH CLOTH-ALCANTARA
        91 M TECHNIC CABRIO TURBO - MACAOBLAU/M TECH CLOTH-LEATHER

        Comment


          #5
          I have the same kit, non shortened struts. I've had two of these GC kits on two separate e30's. Here's my ride height. 205/55/R15. Both cars/ in both pics the cars were not at "max low". First pic shows the ride height adjuster..

          Either install GC camber plates or re install the factory top mounts. I'd almost bet money this is your issue..





          Pics of first car using GC camber plates;


          image by Kevin O'Brien, on Flickr

          image by Kevin
          O'Brien
          , on Flickr










          Here is a completely different e30 on stock 14" weaves. This one is on factory top mounts. (Aka no camber plates just stock). Once again the two pics above was on GC camber plates. Same thing, plenty low. I'm willing to bet your issue is the camber plates your using...





          IMG_0865 by Kevin O'Brien, on Flickr
          Last edited by KIRIEIW; 12-09-2020, 02:48 PM.


          1992 M tech 2 Convertible - S50 Swap
          1992 e34 Touring- S50 Swap
          1992 325i-S50 Swap (SOLD)

          1995 e36 M3 Mugello Red - S50 (SOLD)
          1991 325i Convertible Laguna Green (SOLD)
          1987 325i (SOLD);1992 M tech 2 Convertible (SOLD)
          1988 325i Convertible Alpine White (SOLD)
          1991
          Brilliantrot Convertible 80k Miles (SOLD)
          1992 325i Convertible Schwarz (SOLD)
          1992 318i Convertible Project-Finished (SOLD)

          Comment


            #6
            If you want a shorter spring just order an eibach 2.5" spring in 5" length with the spring rate you currently have. I have swift springs front/rear on my car. 65mm swifts are the same as 2.5"

            https://www.swiftsprings.com/product...lover-springs/

            Comment


              #7
              Originally posted by reelizmpro View Post
              You can either go with camber plates that have a thinner stack height and/or 5" coils up front. Cheapest thing to do is remove the adjuster so that the spring rests on the bottom perch but of course you lose your adjustability. You can do this in combination with a 5" spring if you want to go even lower without having to replace the camber plates. All depends on how much lower you want to go.
              Thanks for the advice about the adjuster, I'm gonna remove it and see how much better it is. Since I want the lowest setting, suppose I don't need to keep the adjustability anyway. Think a 4" spring be too short? I can't find a 5" through Eibach or GC. I'll give em a call tomorrow if I can do a custom order maybe.

              And yeah, I think I made a mistake with the camber plates. I'm running these:

              Click image for larger version

Name:	mixed1.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	72.6 KB
ID:	9964474

              Is it safe to say that these would have a lower stack height?

              Click image for larger version

Name:	mixed2.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	41.4 KB
ID:	9964475

              Comment


                #8
                Originally posted by KIRIEIW View Post
                I have the same kit, non shortened struts. I've had two of these GC kits on two separate e30's. Here's my ride height. 205/55/R15. Both cars/ in both pics the cars were not at "max low". First pic shows the ride height adjuster..

                Either install GC camber plates or re install the factory top mounts. I'd almost bet money this is your issue..





                Pics of first car using GC camber plates;


                image by Kevin O'Brien, on Flickr

                image by Kevin
                O'Brien
                , on Flickr










                Here is a completely different e30 on stock 14" weaves. This one is on factory top mounts. (Aka no camber plates just stock). Once again the two pics above was on GC camber plates. Same thing, plenty low. I'm willing to bet your issue is the camber plates your using...





                IMG_0865 by Kevin O'Brien, on Flickr
                That first height is perfect! Exactly what I'm looking for. If removing the front adjusters and shorter springs doesn't do the trick, think I'll just bite the bullet and get GC plates. Which of the GC plates were you using on that car? Street, race...?

                And you have a YouTube channel right? I think I saw a few of your videos!

                Comment


                  #9
                  Originally posted by tyeler18 View Post
                  If you want a shorter spring just order an eibach 2.5" spring in 5" length with the spring rate you currently have. I have swift springs front/rear on my car. 65mm swifts are the same as 2.5"

                  https://www.swiftsprings.com/product...lover-springs/
                  Eibach / GC doesn't list a 2.5" diameter 5" length ERS spring :( I guess I have to call? Or just replace both front and back with Swifts

                  Comment


                    #10
                    Originally posted by Esanju View Post

                    Eibach / GC doesn't list a 2.5" diameter 5" length ERS spring :( I guess I have to call? Or just replace both front and back with Swifts
                    You could just do fronts and be fine as well.

                    Comment


                      #11
                      Originally posted by Esanju View Post

                      That first height is perfect! Exactly what I'm looking for. If removing the front adjusters and shorter springs doesn't do the trick, think I'll just bite the bullet and get GC plates. Which of the GC plates were you using on that car? Street, race...?

                      And you have a YouTube channel right? I think I saw a few of your videos!


                      Haha funny yup I have a few video's uploaded, So I'm using the GC street camber plates. Also I didn't mention it but both cars are on 6 inch front springs (and both still aren't set at the lowest setting.).


                      1992 M tech 2 Convertible - S50 Swap
                      1992 e34 Touring- S50 Swap
                      1992 325i-S50 Swap (SOLD)

                      1995 e36 M3 Mugello Red - S50 (SOLD)
                      1991 325i Convertible Laguna Green (SOLD)
                      1987 325i (SOLD);1992 M tech 2 Convertible (SOLD)
                      1988 325i Convertible Alpine White (SOLD)
                      1991
                      Brilliantrot Convertible 80k Miles (SOLD)
                      1992 325i Convertible Schwarz (SOLD)
                      1992 318i Convertible Project-Finished (SOLD)

                      Comment


                        #12
                        It hasn't been stated here but keep in mind, late model e30s, for sure all stock with plastic bumpers have a lower arch in the rear. This will always give the appearance that the lower sits more tuck and front has a gap. You can lower it more but keep in mind the rake in case you want to deal with suspension geometry.
                        Alex 88 m5 | 91 318is | 19 Subaru Ascent
                        BMW Tool Rentals & Fender Roller

                        Comment

                        Working...
                        X