Alternative to Euroweaves

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Alternative to Euroweaves

So i had a plan for some wheels for my 2002 and I thought I'd share this info with you folk since it doesn't look like it's been done. I had IRON-E redrill a set of e34 stock basketweaves (style 5's) since they're the perfect offset for an 02.

Stock style 5's for the e34 chassis are 15x7 et20 where euroweaves are 15x7 et24.

You can get e34 stock baskets for free-$150.

Redrill cost is $250 plus

shipping back and forth (about $40 each way for me)
    Buy tires for $300-400

All said and done $630-880 with tires. Still less than Euroweaves with no tires :)

Spacers are needed to fit the e30. I have 10mm up front, and the wheels just barely rubbed on the inner part of the caliper. A 12mm would probably do the trick. Or you can modify the wheel, carrier, or change out the calipers for something larger.

Yes the resulting offset is less than desired. But it's an alternative

I'm digging it.
    @IRON-E30 aka Edwin:D

Comment

Looks great. Love the polished lip.

Comment

People have been doing this for years and years. Looks great and good enough for the street, but I wouldn't use them on a track personally.

Why do you need spacers though? Hubcentric rings should be enough. ET10 is pretty low, but at least they're only 15x7.

Style 5's came in 16" as well, which is also relatively popular.
        Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Originally posted by nando View Post
          People have been doing this for years and years. Looks great and good enough for the street, but I wouldn't use them on a track personally.

Why do you need spacers though? Hubcentric rings should be enough. ET10 is pretty low, but at least they're only 15x7.

Style 5's came in 16" as well, which is also relatively popular.
          I agree, people have been filling and drilling 16 and 17's for years, I can't recall seeing any 15's however.

A meaty tire setup probably wont make it on these with the resulting offset.

The spacer is needed because the inner part of the wheel near the rotor mounting surface rubs on the inner section of the caliper carrier.

Comment

Originally posted by ArtFoodBMW View Post
            I agree, people have been filling and drilling 16 and 17's for years, I can't recall seeing any 15's however.

A meaty tire setup probably wont make it on these with the resulting offset.

The spacer is needed because the inner part of the wheel near the rotor mounting surface rubs on the inner section of the caliper carrier.
            Given the iX weaves remain reasonably plentiful, there isn’t much justification. Also, most places that I see charge a good bit more than $250 to fill and drill.
            2006 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4WD LBZ/Allison
            2002 BMW M3 Alpinweiß/Black
            1999 323i GTS2 Alpinweiß
            1995 M3 Dakargelb/Black
            - S50B32/S6S420G/3.91
            1990 325is Brilliantrot/Tan
            1989 M3 Alpinweiß/Black

Hers: 1996 Porsche 911 Turbo Black/Black
            Hers: 1988 325iX Coupe Diamantschwartz/Black 5spd

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by nrubenstein View Post
              Given the iX weaves remain reasonably plentiful, there isn’t much justification. Also, most places that I see charge a good bit more than $250 to fill and drill.

He's not talking about iX weaves.

The 2wd offset weaves are usually in the $1k price range for a nice set of wheels only. He's into his set for well less than that with tires.
              1991 318iC
              1989 325i Field Rescue

Comment

Originally posted by Poorhouse View Post
                He's not talking about iX weaves.

The 2wd offset weaves are usually in the $1k price range for a nice set of wheels only. He's into his set for well less than that with tires.
                I am fully aware of the difference between euroweaves and iX weaves. What I don’t understand is why you’d go to the effort of filling and drilling a crappy wheel AND have to run a spacer instead of getting iX weaves for less or the same money.

After all, the whole draw of Euroweaves is to get 15” wheels that don’t need a spacer...
                1999 323i GTS2 Alpinweiß
                1995 M3 Dakargelb/Black
                - S50B32/S6S420G/3.91
                1989 M3 Alpinweiß/Black

sigpic

Comment

I am fully aware of the difference between euroweaves and iX weaves. What I don’t understand is why you’d go to the effort of filling and drilling a crappy wheel AND have to run a spacer instead of getting iX weaves for less or the same money.

After all, the whole draw of Euroweaves is to get 15” wheels that don’t need a spacer...
                  IMO:

1) iX weaves don't look right to me on a car without iX flares. Even though the lip difference is subtle it's make/break for me.
                  2) Centercap availability. The caps for the OPs wheels are next to no money and are available all over the place. Euroweave/iX Weave caps are nearly impossible to find now, most sets don't come with caps, and they are $110ea new and $75+ea used, usually costing you more than a set of iX weaves, as the affordable sets don't come with caps.

Good call on this OP! I have filled/drilled 16" style 5s.
                  1990 Brilliantrot 325iS Build Thread
                  1989 Zinnoberrot M3 Build Thread

Comment

Originally posted by AWDBOB View Post
                    IMO:

1) iX weaves don't look right to me on a car without iX flares. Even though the lip difference is subtle it's make/break for me.
                    2) Centercap availability. The caps for the OPs wheels are next to no money and are available all over the place. Euroweave/iX Weave caps are nearly impossible to find now, most sets don't come with caps, and they are $110ea new and $75+ea used, usually costing you more than a set of iX weaves, as the affordable sets don't come with caps.

Good call on this OP! I have filled/drilled 16" style 5s.
                    If the subtle difference of the iX lip is make or break for you (I actually disagree on this - the iX is the best looking 15” E30 wheel. Better than the M3 and euroweaves.), how about an offset that is so wrong after necessary spacers that the front wheel lip is outside the fender????
                    1999 323i GTS2 Alpinweiß
                    1995 M3 Dakargelb/Black
                    - S50B32/S6S420G/3.91
                    1989 M3 Alpinweiß/Black

sigpic

Comment

If the subtle difference of the iX lip is make or break for you (I actually disagree on this - the iX is the best looking 15” E30 wheel. Better than the M3 and euroweaves.), how about an offset that is so wrong after necessary spacers that the front wheel lip is outside the fender????
                      Freshly painted iX weaves on a proper iX is hard to beat. I've put them on my iS and they just didn't look right IMO but yes that part is certainly a matter of taste (wasn't too keen on the large spacers required for proper fitment either).

I currently run a 13 offset on a 16x8 up front with a 215/45 615K+, pretty low, no roll. It looks nice and OEM+, flush. I can't imagine et10 on a 15x7 would be much different.
                      1990 Brilliantrot 325iS Build Thread
                      1989 Zinnoberrot M3 Build Thread

Comment

Originally posted by AWDBOB View Post
                        Freshly painted iX weaves on a proper iX is hard to beat. I've put them on my iS and they just didn't look right IMO but yes that part is certainly a matter of taste (wasn't too keen on the large spacers required for proper fitment either).

I currently run a 13 offset on a 16x8 up front with a 215/45 615K+, pretty low, no roll. It looks nice and OEM+, flush. I can't imagine et10 on a 15x7 would be much different.
                        I think that a lot of it comes down to what you like in a wheel. I dislike wheel lip, so the best looking wheel is the one that has the least of it.
                        1999 323i GTS2 Alpinweiß
                        1995 M3 Dakargelb/Black
                        - S50B32/S6S420G/3.91
                        1989 M3 Alpinweiß/Black

sigpic

Comment

I think that a lot of it comes down to what you like in a wheel. I dislike wheel lip, so the best looking wheel is the one that has the least of it.
                          Totally the opposite for me. There are very few cars that can pull off wheels without a lip IMO. That's why I even went through the effort of having the redrilled.... These have the most lip of the selection of 15" Style 5's and they are extremely readily available.

That being said tire choice is kind of bummer because of the spacer needed to fit the wheel on an e30 but there are ways around that (And all redrilled style 5's need spacers to clear the front calipers on the e30) on

The 2002 they're going on they will easily fit a 195/50/15 with no spacer necessary :razz:

Comment

y u no Ronal LS?
                            Build Threads:
                            Pamela/Bella/Betty/325ix/5-Lug Seta/S60R/Miata ITB/Miata Turbo/Miata VVT/951/325xi-6

Comment

Originally posted by Julien View Post
                              y u no Ronal LS?

+1

I think theres a user selling a set of new ones for around 700 yucks
                              Originally posted by wholepailofwater
                              Q
                              :devil:

WTB: Dove Grey e36 Front Door Panels (2 door)

Comment

Working...
                              X