Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Has anyone ever powdercoated their e30 wheels?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Has anyone ever powdercoated their e30 wheels?

Howdy folks. My bottle caps on my rally 325e are in a poor state.... In the jeep scene we like to powder coat things. So my question is, have any of you had your wheels, or any other part done? Cost, comments, concerns? I'm going to be starting a cosmetic restoration soon and I want the best advice. Thanks!
    My rigs:
    1984 Jeep Cj7 (my baby)
    Lifted 2006 Subaru Baja (the daily)
    1987 BMW 325e Off-road Build (the new hotness)

here is a killer video on wheel restoration.
    check it out:
    Try Dashlane for free @ https://www.dashlane.com/restoreitThanks for watching! In this video, I'm restoring the four BBS wheels from the E30 325i. Heavily cu...
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    '90 325i sedan daily driven
    '85 325e coupe also a daily

Comment

Powder coating is very common for refinishing wheels. I just sent a set to a local shop, they charged $500 a set to powder coat.
      sigpic
      1987 - 325i Convertible Delphin Auto [SOLD], 325i Convertible Delphin Manual [SOLD]
      1989 - 325i Convertible Bronzit m30b35 swapped [SCRAPPED], 325i Sedan Alpine Auto[DD]
      1991 - 325i Coupe Laguna Manual [Project], 535i Sedan Alpine [SCRAPPED]

Comment

Originally posted by McGyver View Post
        Powder coating is very common for refinishing wheels. I just sent a set to a local shop, they charged $500 a set to powder coat.
        Was that including prep work like sandblasting? The best local shop I've found charged my buddy around $1k to do both bumpers and all 4 fenders (aftermarket jeep jk stuff). That price included blasting off old rust and paint.
        Last edited by 1984CJ7; 07-20-2019, 03:41 AM. Reason: Correction
        My rigs:
        1984 Jeep Cj7 (my baby)

Comment

I've found prices on coatings to vary dramatically with some shops treating it like gold leaf and others more like the industrial coating that it is. ie I just had a valve cover, intake manifold, upper timing cover and both pieces of the tstat housing done for $200 in a custom color (so the powder is more expensive). This included sanding the Vc then adding a clear coat to all pieces. Pics in my time capsule build thread.

I've been quoted $300 to do all 4 bbs wheels which is not much more than I paid to have them repainted but I have had quotes way higher.

Not sure why you'd want to invest in doing bottle caps which are basically worth their weight in aluminum but your car your cash :)
          Seat Shocks....I have passed the baton to John Christy from Ninestitch. Email John or Garrett at ninestitch1@gmail.com

https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...86#post4944786
          Alice the Time Capsule
          http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=360504
          87 Zinno Cabrio barn find 98k and still smells like a barn. Build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/show...20#post3455220

Comment

Originally posted by jeffnhiscars View Post
            I've found prices on coatings to vary dramatically with some shops treating it like gold leaf and others more like the industrial coating that it is. ie I just had a valve cover, intake manifold, upper timing cover and both pieces of the tstat housing done for $200 in a custom color (so the powder is more expensive). This included sanding the Vc then adding a clear coat to all pieces. Pics in my time capsule build thread.

I've been quoted $300 to do all 4 bbs wheels which is not much more than I paid to have them repainted but I have had quotes way higher.

Not sure why you'd want to invest in doing bottle caps which are basically worth their weight in aluminum but your car your cash :)
            Yeah I get werid looks talking about how much I actually like bottle caps. I get it, they are less desirable but for whatever reason, I like how they look in my rally car.
            My rigs:
            1984 Jeep Cj7 (my baby)

Comment

Originally posted by 1984CJ7 View Post
              Yeah I get werid looks talking about how much I actually like bottle caps. I get it, they are less desirable but for whatever reason, I like how they look in my rally car.

I’m sure people will think I’m weird restoring my stock ‘iS’ weaves, but they are original to the car so I want to do it.
              90 Bronzit 325is
              16 Black Sapphire 340i M Sport

Comment

I painted my bottle caps with some decent but still relatively cheap rattle cans. turned out pretty damn good. give them a good clean, quick sand to scuff it up, then wipe it down with wax and grease remover. Couple of coats of paint, came out real good.

I worked at a powder coating shop for a few months many years ago. I reckon to get the best finish you'd want to do some sort of media blasting on them. and for bottle cap wheels that would be very tedious and time consuming which equals $$$$. It is an industrial process afterall, the finish is not likely to be completely perfect.

The only thing bad about bottle caps is that they are 14" so performance tyres where i am are hard to get in that size. other than that as far as oem wheels go they are pretty cool.

Comment

Working...
                X