Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Insurance on your Touring

Hey guys,
    Wondering what you did to insure your cars? I have insurance now, but it took awhile to find someone that would insure me. And mine is far from cheap!

This thread could be a good resource for others looking to bring another Touring in.

Thanks!
    _-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_
    Past: lots of stuff
    Present: e46 m3
    2010 F150 Lariat
    1990 E30 Touring
    1/4 e34 LeMons car

2004 Malibu 23 LSV
    2000 Odessey Millenia 210

I was turned down by State Farm (they couldn't even get the VIN to register in their system), and was also turned down by all the main classic/collector car insurance firms. Some told me the car was not on their list of eligible vehicles, and others told me that my desire to semi-daily drive the Touring disqualified me. I eventually felt like I was the only person that actually tells the truth regarding usage when shopping for collector car insurance.

I remembered that BMWCCA has an insurance deal with Liberty Mutual, so I contacted them and they were happy to insure the Touring. Price was great and the CCA coverage requires use of OEM parts for repairs, so I also moved my E30 cabrio over from State Farm. The only hang up was when I asked for stated/agreed upon value coverage. They told me they could provide it, but the fine print stated that the value could not exceed appraised value. When I pointed out to the Liberty Mutual agent that what they were offering was not really stated/agreed upon value coverage, he said, "Yeah, I guess you're right".

I haven't had a claim yet, so I can't give an opinion on that, and I'm sure the check they'd write me to total either car would only be a fraction of what I've invested, but I'm just happy to have reasonably priced insurance after the major hassle of being turned down by 8-10 companies.

Cory
    1992 325i Cabrio
    1988 320i Touring
    2000 M5
    1977 530i
    2015 328i - Euro Delivery/Performance Center Delivery
    BMWCCA
    E30CCA

Comment

I have mine through USAA, and didn't have too much of a problem. First agent I talked to was newer and had some problems, so I just called back and got someone more experienced to force the VIN through.
      '89 318i Touring
      '90 Miata

Comment

Originally posted by Heitzke View Post
        I have mine through USAA, and didn't have too much of a problem. First agent I talked to was newer and had some problems, so I just called back and got someone more experienced to force the VIN through.
        Unfortunately, that's not really an option for us non-military folks.

Good to know though!
        _-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_
        Past: lots of stuff
        Present: e46 m3
        2010 F150 Lariat
        1990 E30 Touring
        1/4 e34 LeMons car

2004 Malibu 23 LSV
        2000 Odessey Millenia 210

Comment

Originally posted by Intense View Post
          Unfortunately, that's not really an option for us non-military folks.

Good to know though!
          Yeah sorry, I should have called that out in the post as not being very helpful.
          '89 318i Touring
          '90 Miata

Comment

I THINK my dad has his insured through Geico.
            My Garage
            2001 Z3 2.5i Steel Gray/Black (Lexi)
            1988 325ix Diamond Schwartz/Black (Izzy)
            1989 325i Cirrus Blue/Houndstooth (Stitch)
            Feedback

Instagram: Stone.Hopkins

Comment

I have Hagerty Classic car insurance and only pay $400 annually and requires no emissions testing. No maximum mile penalties either.
              sigpic

Comment

What's your payments/coverage look like?
                -89' 320iT, Brilliantrot
                -15' 320i, Glacier Silver Metallic

Comment

Originally posted by crash n' burn View Post
                  What's your payments/coverage look like?
                  Payment is $472/year and that's with 250/250 deductibles and full-coverage. I do need to call them and verify replacement amounts though.
                  '89 318i Touring
                  '90 Miata

Comment

Payment is $472/year and that's with 250/250 deductibles and full-coverage. I do need to call them and verify replacement amounts though.
                    That's pretty impressive. Please keep me updated on that
                    -89' 320iT, Brilliantrot
                    -15' 320i, Glacier Silver Metallic

Comment

I tried to get insurance for my touring through the big insurance company I used to insure all of my cars with. You have to wonder if their representatives have any knowledge about cars whatsoever. After I gave all the details about the touring including the model year ( 1988 ), the lady I spoke with asked if the car was used. "No, I just picked it up brand new from the dealership in my time machine that is somehow also capable of transporting cars. Next question." She asked if it was left-hand drive, and when I said yes, she was then convinced that they couldn't insure it because they don't insure left-hand drive cars (in Canada? Ooops). Once that was cleared up, I was told that they still could not insure it because the VIN wouldn't come up on their system and therefore my car did not exist. I sent pictures proving that I had given them the correct VIN as they requested, and was still denied. The new reason was that the do not insure cars with European VINs.

Classic car insurance was not an option since it's my daily driver (even though I work from home) and it's a four door, which makes it harder to qualify as a "collector car." I finally went through a local insurance broker who found a company that would insure the touring.
                      1994 E30 316i Design Edition Touring / 1991 E30 318is / 1992 E34 M5
                      Instagram: @ro4d_runn3r

Comment

Geico will insure the Touring without issue. You need to submit the quote with the 'invalid' VIN and they will contact you for clarification (import vehicle).

I pay $730 every 6mo. I have an S2000 and the Touring. The Touring has a higher Comp / Coll deductible at 1K and the S is 500 each.

Touring: 395.90
                        S2000: 334.40

I am in my late 20's no accidents.
                        -90 318i Touring
                        -91 325iX
                        -01 S2000

Comment

Originally posted by Roadrunner View Post
                          I tried to get insurance for my touring through the big insurance company I used to insure all of my cars with. You have to wonder if their representatives have any knowledge about cars whatsoever. After I gave all the details about the touring including the model year ( 1988 ), the lady I spoke with asked if the car was used. "No, I just picked it up brand new from the dealership in my time machine that is somehow also capable of transporting cars. Next question." She asked if it was left-hand drive, and when I said yes, she was then convinced that they couldn't insure it because they don't insure left-hand drive cars (in Canada? Ooops). Once that was cleared up, I was told that they still could not insure it because the VIN wouldn't come up on their system and therefore my car did not exist. I sent pictures proving that I had given them the correct VIN as they requested, and was still denied. The new reason was that the do not insure cars with European VINs.

Classic car insurance was not an option since it's my daily driver (even though I work from home) and it's a four door, which makes it harder to qualify as a "collector car." I finally went through a local insurance broker who found a company that would insure the touring.

Could I ask which company is insuring your touring? I've owned mine for a couple months, but I've spent that time getting it mechanically legal, and now, I'm jumping through all the hoops to get it registered. You can PM me if you prefer.

Cheers
                          1991 E30 325i Touring

Comment

Originally posted by 808e30325i View Post
                            I have Hagerty Classic car insurance and only pay $400 annually and requires no emissions testing. No maximum mile penalties either.
                            Just saw your post. Hagerty turned me down. Does the policy forbid you to drive the car to work? Do you have to park it in a garage? Do you have a stated value?

I had a very strange experience with Hagerty. They kept giving me excuses why they couldn't cover my Touring, but I felt like they never told me the real reason. I would like to get coverage through them, but don't know what about my situation caused the problem.

Cory
                            1992 325i Cabrio
                            1988 320i Touring
                            2000 M5
                            1977 530i
                            2015 328i - Euro Delivery/Performance Center Delivery
                            BMWCCA
                            E30CCA

Comment

Originally posted by Grime View Post
                              Could I ask which company is insuring your touring? I've owned mine for a couple months, but I've spent that time getting it mechanically legal, and now, I'm jumping through all the hoops to get it registered. You can PM me if you prefer.

Cheers
                              Sent you a PM. :)
                              1994 E30 316i Design Edition Touring / 1991 E30 318is / 1992 E34 M5
                              Instagram: @ro4d_runn3r

Comment

Working...
                              X