1989 320i Touring (Import)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1989 320i Touring (Import)

Starting a build thread as I just made payment for my first Touring. Pretty happy to say the least. Not sure on what improvements Ill make to the car, as I'll probably driver it as is until everything settles.

My current E30, which is a 1989 325iX Sedan, is currently being torn apart. It was originally going to be an ALPINA replica, but as Ive come to realize, she's a rust monster. I still love it and don't want to part with it, but with iX parts being hard to find and expensive, and the cost of repairing all of the rust, I bought a touring instead.

The touring will hopefully be here before the end of October, but we shall see.
    Last edited by IncogutheIII; 10-14-2020, 08:04 AM.

Tell us about the touring. Where did you get it? How did you ship it to the US? How much did you pay for it?

We need details!

Comment

Car is coming from the Netherlands and being shipped by sea. There won't be much movement on this thread until its here, hoping by the end of the month to have her in hand, but only time will tell. She left a few days ago for port.

Comment

Did you buy it from Ivo?

Comment

Bought the car from Leo, from GarageE30. He's a member here as well.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	SWY5Ysh.jpg
Views:	324
Size:	100.3 KB
ID:	9959530Finally, today was the day. I picked her up from the port and am currently transporting her back home. 8 hours to develop a list of parts and repairs.

Comment

Nice, looks good!

Comment

Thanks! She's a blast to drive. Definitely more pep in 1st and 2nd gear compared to my 325iX.

Comment

Originally posted by IncogutheIII View Post
                  Thanks! She's a blast to drive. Definitely more pep in 1st and 2nd gear compared to my 325iX.
                  So it's an M40 with a 4.27?

Comment

Its an m20 2.0 liter. My iX had head gasket issues but still ran strong when assembled. The 320i just feels quick to me, but I also have not driven an e30 in 8 months.

Comment

It should have the same high ratio diff as the M40 tourings as far as I know. The 320i touring felt quick to me too.

Comment

I have noticed the same with my lowly M40 Touring.

Before I drove it, I was planning an engine swap for something bigger. But, no more. Now that I own and drive it, I am completely happy with the power and sound of the M40. And the gas mileage sure is good, too.

Comment

Originally posted by twright View Post
                          I have noticed the same with my lowly M40 Touring.

Before I drove it, I was planning an engine swap for something bigger. But, no more. Now that I own and drive it, I am completely happy with the power and sound of the M40. And the gas mileage sure is good, too.
                          Thank you! The M40 really is adequate for driving, but it will never be a performance machine. That said, over 30mpg is great, but I think the sound really leaves something to be desired.

Comment

Interesting real world experiences with the different engines. Compared to the b25 in my USA cabrio, the b20 in the touring definitely feels down on power but is much more happy to rev. Never thought a half liter in the same engine family could make such a difference.
                            1992 325i Cabrio
                            1988 320i Touring
                            2000 M5
                            1977 530i
                            2015 328i - Euro Delivery/Performance Center Delivery
                            BMWCCA
                            E30CCA

Comment

Originally posted by roguetoaster View Post

Thank you! The M40 really is adequate for driving, but it will never be a performance machine. That said, over 30mpg is great, but I think the sound really leaves something to be desired.

That's the other part I don't understand. I had an M42 powered 318is about 10 years ago. I sold it because I didn't like the sound/buzziness of the engine.

I am not getting that feeling with the M40. Don't know why.

Comment

Working...
                              X