Rear Window Washer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rear Window Washer

Whenever I activate the rear washer, water drips down into the cabin at the rear of the interior.

I took off the headliner and have found the reason: There is an open hose (certainly for the washer system) that is not hooked to anything! And not only that, I can't find anything that it should hook to. Does anyone know where the washer outlet for the rear window is? I think If I can find that, I can follow it backwards so that I can hook up the open hose.

I found the other end of the washer hose. It is near the left hinge on the rear door.

Does anyone have a picture of this hose so I can route the new one in the same way?

Comment

The outlet is in the wiper stalk, the tank/pump is at the left rear corner of the car, and the hose goes inside the C pillar on the ones I have seen.

Comment

On mine, after it leaves the C Pillar it goes to the left rear door hinge. This is the routing picture that I need : at the left rear hinge.

Comment

I took a quick peek at mine, but couldn't clearly see it.
          The hose goes up at the D pillar, and seems to go inbetween some plastic unit from the side of it, near the hinge.
          I must add that I've never used the rear washer, so I can only hope it's stuck in there well... ;)
          I'll see if I can take a proper picture and a closer look, but I'm afraid that might be another couple of days.

Comment

Originally posted by 323i E30 View Post
            I took a quick peek at mine, but couldn't clearly see it.
            The hose goes up at the D pillar, and seems to go inbetween some plastic unit from the side of it, near the hinge.
            I must add that I've never used the rear washer, so I can only hope it's stuck in there well... ;)
            I'll see if I can take a proper picture and a closer look, but I'm afraid that might be another couple of days.
            I made a mistake: The washer hose goes up the D pillar. I was able to find mine all the way from the D Pillar , up the left rear hinge and going to the middle of the rear door.

The part I can't find is where it comes out the door to go on the glass. Where does it spray on the glass?

I have connected the broken hose together, and can see fluid moving through the hose, but nothing ends up on the window. Where does the water come from to get on the window?

Comment

The sprayer is in the wiper, specifically it plugs in at the back of the motor assy, goes through the vertical stalk, and sprays out of the cap over the nut that secures the wiper arm.

Comment

Originally posted by roguetoaster View Post
                The sprayer is in the wiper, specifically it plugs in at the back of the motor assy, goes through the vertical stalk, and sprays out of the cap over the nut that secures the wiper arm.
                OK, this helps a lot.

I found the holes on the cap over the nut that secures the wiper arm.

However, nothing comes out of those holes. But, I can see fluid moving through the hose. That means I have a blockage somewhere close to the nozzles.

I should be able to find this blockage now.

Thanks for your help.

Comment

Nozzles are almost always blocked, I'd suggest a new cap as the sealing surface isn't typically great against the stalk. The inner stalk/plastic inlet on the rear of the motor also clog.

Comment

Where can I get a new nozzle cap for my Touring? The hose isn't leaky, but the fluid just sprays out the back of the wiper arm instead of onto the glass, because I'm missing that nozzle. Can't find it anywhere.

Comment

It seems to be NLA, but yours is most likely cracked at the ring where it seats on the stalk. Your best bet is ebay for another 61 62 1 381 845 or repairing the existing unit.

As a long shot you might look at E36 318ti wiper caps, pretty sure they have the same mechanisim.

Comment

Aha! Here it is on Pelican Parts:

Comment

I concur that the spray cap part is NLA from BMW. Bummer. Schmiedmann is my go to site to determine if a part is truly NLA, and they can no longer get it. Since I have broken a couple in the past 5 years, I just bought what seemed to be the only new one available on USA or UK eBay. Stiff price thanks to the exchange rate ($83 all in).
                          1992 325i Cabrio
                          1988 320i Touring
                          2000 M5
                          1977 530i
                          2015 328i - Euro Delivery/Performance Center Delivery
                          BMWCCA
                          E30CCA

Comment

Originally posted by cory58 View Post
                            I concur that the spray cap part is NLA from BMW. Bummer. Schmiedmann is my go to site to determine if a part is truly NLA, and they can no longer get it. Since I have broken a couple in the past 5 years, I just bought what seemed to be the only new one available on USA or UK eBay. Stiff price thanks to the exchange rate ($83 all in).
                            Can you direct me to that listing? I tried buying the Pelican Parts one, but they sent me an email a few days later with the NLA runaround. Then I tried buying one from some Lithuanian seller on eBay, and it never arrived. There's another one for sale on ebay from Lithuania, but I'm a little hesitant to go that route again.

Comment

Originally posted by hteverow View Post

Can you direct me to that listing? I tried buying the Pelican Parts one, but they sent me an email a few days later with the NLA runaround. Then I tried buying one from some Lithuanian seller on eBay, and it never arrived. There's another one for sale on ebay from Lithuania, but I'm a little hesitant to go that route again.
                              A few days after I posted, the eBay seller told me he did not have the part. He said he expected it back in stock sometime in May and would let me know. Not sure how he'd get it back in unless he anticipates finding another NOS stash, so I'm not expecting to hear from him.

Cory
                              1992 325i Cabrio
                              1988 320i Touring
                              2000 M5
                              1977 530i
                              2015 328i - Euro Delivery/Performance Center Delivery
                              BMWCCA
                              E30CCA

Comment

Working...
                              X