Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Uh O.

Defending the fold.
    Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience. -Mark Twain

Comment

$7500.00 AS IS

Get it out im DONE

When the buyer backed out all it does is sit. I dont care anymore!

I went to start it last week,and the battery is now dead.
      Its currently holds a charge,but will die if not started everyday.

Also the Hood release has broke. I went to pop it,and i pulled it a bit hard,and it snapped.

The other day i went to the store with it,and some Jackhole stole one,YES ONE OF THE CENTERCAPS,so now i have (3) caps.

The Slave Cylinder is leaking.
      Shiftier bushings are Trashed.
      Power steering hoses are leaking.
      Diff cover is leaking
      brake acumulator
      The Rear subframe has a hairline crack and can welded,if your a cheap ass

Today the fuel pump started giving me shit,and im not spending $500 on new pumps.

Im old and cranky,Now Im fed up of the Snobbery on Mye28 and other pages.

I officially want out of old BMW ownership. Password is now removed
      Last edited by xxx-Lost-Soul-xxx; 02-19-2015, 04:30 PM.

Comment

It is a low income state so it is hard to sell a car above $7k cash price range. Sometimes you just got to let it go for cheap and just move on, use your valuable time on something more important.
        Last edited by DesertBMW; 01-27-2015, 09:49 PM.

Comment

Maybe the center cap fell off while driving? Might be worth it to back-track and see if it is sitting on the side of the road somewhere.

Comment

Thats what i thought too,But I Had the owner of the shop Review The tape,and some kid in his teens took it off.

Comment

My Dad owned an M535i when I was little and it was unfortunately effectively stolen from him. The guy got the title, but didn't follow through on his end of a spoken deal. So much for being an old friend...I shared the story on MYE28 and they were initially helpful, then immediately kinda douchey.

These cars hold a real special place in my heart and I really wish I was closer by. Best of luck, and I hope the right person ends up with it.
              Interested in vintage cars? Ever thought about racing one? Info, photos, videos, and more can be found at www.michaelsvintageracing.com!

Elva Courier build thread here!

Comment

Uhhh, douchey? Really?

Sorry to hear one of the center caps was stolen. I've had that happen myself in my driveway. Three from one car and one from another.

Unique car with lots of potential though.

Comment

Yeah, after rereading that it seems douchey was a bit heavyhanded. Guess it was that one guy's comment that stuck in my head. Mia culpa.
                  Interested in vintage cars? Ever thought about racing one? Info, photos, videos, and more can be found at www.michaelsvintageracing.com!

Elva Courier build thread here!

Comment

I did extensive research into this car as I want an M535i to restore. I sent the owner a PM, politely making an offer. Here's what I said:

Originally posted by e30pro3
                    Hello,

Is your 1985 BMW M535i still for sale? I am interested in purchasing it. I've been into E30s for many years (i own three: a Zinno 325ix, an Apline 325i, and a Pro3 race car). In the late 1990s owned a DC71 car and I also have a 72 Chevelle SS convertible that I've restored.

I won't waste your time. I've done exhaustive research into your car. I have carefully reviewed all of the photos you've posted and read the threads about this car on this and other forums. I've also spoken with a prior owner. For what I want to do with this car (total restoration) and given the history, high-mileage, rust, dented body, poor interior, wide-array of mechanical problems, and non-running status, the most I would pay is $3000. If we can come to terms the money will be in your bank and I will have a car carrier pick the car up within days.

Please email me at ... so we can close the deal. I'd rather communicate via email or phone.

I am looking forward to your reply.
                    She replied:

Originally posted by xxx-Lost-Soul-xxx
                    Heres what i think of your offer.
                    Take your money and shove it up your ass!

fuck off! go waste someone elses time.
                    I find this incredibly rude and un-called for. Yes, my offer is well below what she's asking, and I can understand a seller being offended by such an offer. But to reply with such vitriol and angst is just ridiculous. Other buyers deserve to know what they might be getting into with this seller.

Since I did the work to investigate the car, and won't be buying it, I figure I can help others by sharing what I learned. These are the notes I made as I did my research:

VIN check reports on this car:

The details from bmwregistry.com are here:

The car was listed for sale on mye28.com by "dunnojack" in July 2010. There are pictures of it's condition at that time in that thread: http://www.mye28.com/viewtopic.php?t=80956

It was then listed again in March 2011: http://www.mye28.com/viewtopic.php?t=89339

The car was purchased by the seller September 12, 2011 from an owner in San Francisco. A prior owner: "the rust that is on this car had been developing for a while". Described car as "rough".

Seller claims she owned this car since 2010:
                    Unknown Number of owners. three Since 2009 "me since 2010"
                    In November, 2012 the seller posted a for sale thread here:

In that thread, the seller detailed all of the work she had done to the car, indicating she bought this car in late 2011, not 2010.

9/12/11 Buy car.
                    9/14/11 Recive car from Transport
                    9/15/11 Balance 15’’ rims,add battery protection,brake flush
                    9/16/11 fuel system cleanup,replace overflow line
                    10/16/11 installed 16’’ msw rims on used 205/55/16s,
                    11/16/11 replace fuel line
                    11/17/11 misc sanding of surface rust
                    1/13/12 Insall working Used US obc
                    1/13/12 install US Cluster Used
                    2/18/2012 Install new Wipers/Euro arm
                    2/29/2012 New Mahle Air filter,Bosch cap & rotor.
                    3/6/2012 Regap plugs,Install new BREMI Plug wires, Install LCD Light bar upgrade
                    3/8/12 Install Billstien Sport Vogland lowring springs Rear
                    3/10/12 install style 32 rimsd
                    3/12/12 install new CTS
                    3/21/12 Install Alpine deck/Wireing for Radio
                    3/22/12 Repace Failed Window Regulator with used
                    3/25/12 Purchase NEW Ireland engineering Exhaust/headers
                    3/25/12 Buy 88 German front plate
                    3/30/12 Install new M535i diff mount
                    4/1/12 install Medium case 3.46 LSD remove S3.07 big case
                    4/2/12 install euro First aid kit in Trunk
                    4/2/12 Replace missing Cluster/obc Screws
                    4/31/12 Buy new Victor reinz Exhaust gaskets for Exhaust.
                    5/9/12 Install Ireland exhaust/headers/streight pipe.
                    5/31/12 install New OEM Groundstrap/New Alternator
                    5/31/12 Install new Crankshaft connector
                    5/31/12 install new Crankshaft tube
                    6/12/12 Remove style 32's
                    6/12/12 Install Style 9's
                    6/15/12 REMOVE voglang springs add stock springs.
                    6/18/12 Add used 205/55/16 tires to BBS RS 16X7 RIMS
                    6/19/12 install BBS RS 16X7
                    6/22/12 paint cluster needles pink
                    7/6/12 buy new shift knob m style
                    7/28/12 BUY/INSTALL NEW YOKOHAMA ADVAN S4 225/50/16 TIRES (2) FRONT
                    8/16/12 buy 533i/m5 light flywheel.
                    8/17/12 Install right Newer US taillight.
                    8/28/12 lifetime alignment threw firestone
                    9/1/12 Buy REPLACEMENT BBS CENTERCAPS $140
                    10/29/12 adjust rear e brake,fuel filter,new main relay,dog boneS.
                    10.31/12 B35 starter,Igntion switch,Speed/reference sensors
                    10/31/12 new door lock mechanicism.
                    11/1/12 225/50/16 used Tire for spare
                    11/6/12 s38 heatsheild for headers.
                    11/7/12 install used 225 tire for spare.
                    11/18/12 Replace Lost C pillar.
                    11/22/12 Buy REMAN Bosch alternator.
                    11/23/12 install reman bosch alternator
                    11/25/12 Buy new battery/install.
                    Notes:

The Good:
                    • A DC71 E28. A relatively rare, Euro car, legally imported into the US in 1985. This page describes what these cars best: http://bmwmregistry.com/model_faq.php?id=6. Summary is "Mechanically identical to an E28 535i with cosmetic options added on the same assembly line (Dingofling) as the standard E28 535i.
                    • Rare Arcticblau/Taursurot color combination.
                    • Euro bumpers (although M-technic covers are damaged, see below).
                    • Headlight washers.
                    • Rare spare tire cover
                    • Rare Euro first aid kit in trunk (cosmetically beat up).
                    • Some parts replaced within last 3 years.
                    • S3.46 rear end

The Unknown:
                    • The 'dirty' m30b34 motor has 262k miles on it. These motor will do 400k easily if cared for. The rest of the car indicates that this car has not been carefully cared for.
                    • The same goes for the 5-speed transmission.
                    • BBS RZ wheels (at least one cover missing)

The Bad:
                    • 262,008 Miles. Considered high-mileage for an E28, but not crazy-high.
                    • Been sitting for at least a year (for sale thread created 2/9/14). Tires are likely flat-spotted and gaskets/rubber has likely deteriorated further.
                    • Non-driving. Battery either won't hold a charge or there's an electrical drain. Fuel pump has failed/is failing.
                    • Hood release broken (and thus hood can't be opened currently).
                    • Non-working AC. Compressor leaks and a line is blown.
                    • Slave cylinder (either brake or clutch; not clear)is leaking
                    • Shifter bushings are "trashed"
                    • Power steering hoses are leaking
                    • Diff cover is leaking
                    • Brake accumulator needs to be replaced
                    • Needs new fuel liens
                    • Rear subframe has a crack (!)
                    • Shocks/springs need replacing. The front are blown.
                    • The exterior of the car is in poor condition. Almost every panel has small dents, dings, and scratches. The paint is fading and the clear-coat has peeled off in places. The M-Technic plastic airdam, side-skirts, and rear valence are all scratched, damaged, or otherwise poorly fitting. The hood needs to be replaced.
                    • Gray-market side-markers
                    • Rear window lock-strip needs replacing.
                    • The body has serious rust.
                      • The right c-pillar has extensive rot at the lower corner of the rear window. This rust started developing as far back as 2007 and an amateur attempt to slow it in 2011 was superficial.
                      • There is rust developing on the right rear quarter panel ("paint has been sprayed to slow down the rust"). There is likely rot throughout this entire section given the rust in the c-pillar.
                      • The right rear fender has serious rust, as does the rear panel.
                      • The left rear fender shows similar rot occurring where it meets the rear panel. The left rear fender also shows signs of shoddy, bondo-based repair.
                      • The trunk gasket is missing which means water has been getting into trunk.
                    • The car has been in a rear-end accident. The work to repair it was shoddy. The entire rear panel needs to be pulled off and replaced with a new OE unit. The rear bumper is dented, and the M-technic cover is damaged.
                    • The car has "M5" door sills, but they are cracked and damaged.
                    • The interior is very-poor. Not only is it filthy, but almost every part needs to be replaced due to either wear or having been painted with SEM interior paint (or pink paint):
                      • Seats: The leather on both front seats is in very-poor condition. The drivers/passengers seats have been swapped and the left bolster of both are torn. The passenger seat is in really rough shape. The piping on both is failing. The M badges need to be replaced. The rear seat has dry leather with many scratches. No apparent tears. Plastic mechanism covers are missing. Front seats need complete re-covering/restoration.
                      • The shift knob looks worn.
                      • The felt around the doors is failing. These are NLA and are hard to find.
                      • The rear parcel tray was installed poorly and looks worn.
                      • The headliner was spray painted with SEM trim paint. It needs to be replaced.
                      • The carpet was painted with SEM trim paint. It appears very worn and tired looking. Carpet needs to be replaced.
                      • The door panels are in poor-to-fair shape. The surrounds need to be replaced because they were painted with paint. Taurusrot cards look pretty good.
                      • Rear doors need new window regulators and likely new felt guides.
                      • The e-brake console is missing a part; e-brake handle was retrofitted from something else?
                      • Steering wheel is worn and tired.
                      • Cracked dash.
                      • instrument console needs replacing because needles were painted pink.
                    • Old window tint needs to be removed.
                    • The (original) windshield has been hit and has a crack starting. OE glass is NLA.

When in excellent condition the E28 M535i can command a 20-30% price premium over a standard US 535i in similar condition.

This car is in poor condition. It has serious rust, the exterior is in poor condition, the interior is beat, it has serious mechanical issues (including being non-driving).

If a US 1985 535i in similar condition were listed on Craigslist it might sell for $2000. If it were just a Euro 535i it might get $2500. I was prepared to pay $3000 for this one plus the approximately $1000 it would cost to ship it to me.

I strongly suspect this car will continue to sit while the seller continues to anger potential buyers. It's value will continue to go down. She will threaten to part it out, but won't do so because the work involved is too great.

I'd say GLWS, but given her response to my polite email, I simply can't.
                    Last edited by e30pro3; 02-20-2015, 10:34 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by xxx-Lost-Soul-xxx View Post
                      Had a Deposit, buyer backed out when Wife found out, what was going on.

Back on the Market.
                      Did you make it non-refundable?
                      [I

Comment

Originally posted by cactusjacks1 View Post
                        Did you make it non-refundable?
                        I Gave him, his money back.

He did buy me a bottle of jack though.

Comment

Originally posted by e30pro3 View Post
                          I did extensive research into this car as I want an M535i to restore. I sent the owner a PM, politely making an offer. Here's what I said:

She replied:

I find this incredibly rude and un-called for. Yes, my offer is well below what she's asking, and I can understand a seller being offended by such an offer. But to reply with such vitriol and angst is just ridiculous. Other buyers deserve to know what they might be getting into with this seller.

I'd say GLWS, but given her response to my polite email, I simply can't.
                          Who the hell do you think you are? Does your shit have rainbows after you take a dump?

Comment

Who the hell do you think you are? Does your shit have rainbows after you take a dump?
                            that's not really a reasonable response to a relatively polite post.
                            cars beep boop

Comment

Originally posted by kronus View Post
                              that's not really a reasonable response to a relatively polite post.
                              You are correct.
                              There is a way to offer someone a offer. The way he did it was out of line.
                              He is upset and now trying to make my car out to be a pile of shit.

Id like to know which "previous" owner he spoke with, Because if he is using the way the car looked before my ownership on his judgment. He is incorrect.

This theory that the car is a pile of shit is way out of line.
                              It gets started everyday, and moved so this "non runner" is incorrect.

Every single item, this "man is bitching about is a USED CAR, that's 29 years old.

What he is doing,is like going to the bar. And complaining that every woman is flawed
                              Be glad your getting some......

If he wants a PERFECT Example then spend the $20,000.00 on the one that's for sale in Maryland,if not then STFU and move along.

Just like the hott woman at the bar,shes not gonna go down on you,for a 40 of Mickeys............
                              Last edited by xxx-Lost-Soul-xxx; 02-19-2015, 03:04 PM.

Comment

You are correct.
                                There is a way to offer someone a offer. The way he did it was out of line.
                                He is upset and now trying to make my car out to be a pile of shit.
                                I don't think you read what kronus said right. In what universe was my PM to you, which is shown above, "out of line"?

I am not upset. I am merely ensuring the time I wasted investigating your car is useful to others who may be interested in the car.

This theory that the car is a pile of shit is way out of line.
                                It gets started everyday, and moved so this "non runner" is incorrect.
                                In your post above you said:

I went to start it last week,and the battery is now dead.

Also the Hood release has broke. I went to pop it,and i pulled it a bit hard,and it snapped.

Today the fuel pump started giving me shit,and im not spending $500 on new pumps.
                                This is the definition of a non-running car. The battery doesn't hold a charge and the hood won't open. The fuel pump has failed or is failing. The front shocks are "blown".

Every single item, this "man is bitching about is a USED CAR, that's 29 years old.
                                There was no bitching involved. All I did was post the notes I took in evaluating the car based on the information you have provided in words and photos. My goal was to get an inventory of the work/parts that would be required to restore it.

If he wants a PERFECT Example then spend the $20,000.00 on the one that's for sale in Maryland,if not then STFU and move along.

Just like the hott woman at the bar,shes not gonna go down on you,for a 40 of Mickeys............
                                As I explained in my message to you: I am looking for a car to do a total restoration on. I do not want a car that is already in great condition. Your car is actually in such poor shape that it would be very hard to justify restoring it even for $3000. What would it take to turn your car into a "$20K" car?

- Full body restoration with paint. $8-10K easy.
                                - Full interior restoration. $5K
                                - New suspension: $3K
                                - Fix all mechanical issues: $3K

I understand you have put money and time into this car. Perhaps you enjoyed doing so. However that money is gone. It is called a sunk cost. Go look that up.

Your car is worth what a buyer is willing to pay for it. A car is NOT worth what the current owner spent on it. A car is NOT worth what the current owner believes it is worth. Nobody will pay a premium for a car simply because the owner was foolish in how they spent their money.

In the end there are only three facts that matter:

1) You hope someone is going to pay $5500.
                                2) I know someone was (was!) willing to pay $3000.
                                3) You communicate in a rude and inflammatory way.

Comment

Working...
                                X