Opinions on H&R OE Sport Springs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Opinions on H&R OE Sport Springs

I'm starting to gather parts to do a suspension refresh on my '89 325i and I'm undecided about which springs to go with. The car has around 232k on it and I believe the coil springs are original. It's sagging a bit on the captain's side.

I like the idea of lowering it a little bit, but I really like the stock ride quality and have no plans to track or race the car. The roads here (Chicago) are also pretty rough, and I'm kind of old, so a stiff ride or too low is not what I'm after. Part of me wants to just go with stock springs, but I know it will ride high with them.

I would love to hear the opinions of people who have used H&R OE Sport springs (part # 50404-55) and how their ride quality compares to stock. And also which shocks and strut inserts you went with.

Here's a shot of the car with its current suspension. It's got 14" basketweaves with 205/55R14 tires on it. I have a set of 15" Euroweaves that will go on her after the suspension refresh is done.

Thanks in advance for any input on this.

Attached Files
    Last edited by Johnny Haywire; 12-30-2021, 07:49 PM.

https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/for...tein-b4-shocks

My post is in that thread regarding OE Sports. I ran them for a short while with KYBs and e90 drop hats, and they were great. Ride quality felt like stock, but made the car feel just a touch more responsive over stock. I think the ultimate spring for your use would be E30M3 springs, but alas they aren't anywhere to be found. Also, mike.bmw runs them on his 318iS and loves them- he also posted in that thread, but he has ample info regarding his experience with the springs in his build thread.

Last edited by AWDBOB; 12-30-2021, 09:19 PM.
    1990 Brilliantrot 325iS Build Thread
    1989 Zinnoberrot M3 Build Thread

Comment

I did a suspension overhaul a few months ago, ended up going with Koni Sports and H&R Sport Springs (p/n 50406), so not OE Sport Springs. Figured you still may appreciate the input. Below are pictures of the height differences.

Before

After

It lowered it a nice amount in my opinion, not overly excessive. I also installed 95a poly bushings during my suspension overhaul, so NVH was increased a slight amount afterwards.

My old shocks were blown so I can't even really give a fair evaluation of the stock suspension. I would bottom out and scrape my oil pan all the time, but I have yet to since the overhaul. The car's much more responsive overall and I've loved it as a daily. I'm only 18 though, so what would annoy you probably isn't even noticeable to me. My guess is that those OE Sport Springs will lower your car just a tad less than mine, keeping it with a tasteful look and a smooth ride.

Comment

Thanks, guys! I do appreciate it.

AWDBOB Any reason you ended up going with a different set up? I really like the way she sits, will likely go the e90 drop hat route, as well.

rudy Interesting. Your car doesn't look as low as I figured the regular Sport Springs would drop it.

Comment

Originally posted by Johnny Haywire View Post
          Thanks, guys! I do appreciate it.

AWDBOB Any reason you ended up going with a different set up? I really like the way she sits, will likely go the e90 drop hat route, as well.

rudy Interesting. Your car doesn't look as low as I figured the regular Sport Springs would drop it.
          I have an obsession with taking things that are good and work very well, and changing them for no reason. I built coilovers for the car. I now walk by the OE sports in the garage with a regretful tear in my eye.
          1990 Brilliantrot 325iS Build Thread
          1989 Zinnoberrot M3 Build Thread

Comment

The H&R OE Sport springs worked great on my car as a daily driver. The ride was sporty enough, but still civil on the rough roads of LA. Ride height wasn't too low either, around a 1-inch drop. I ran them with Bilstein HD shocks and 15-inch wheels. For some extra adjustability, Koni Sport shocks are a great choice too.
            Attached Files
            Last edited by mtech325; 12-31-2021, 03:27 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by mtech325 View Post
              The H&R OE Sport springs worked great on my car as a daily driver. The ride was sporty enough, but still civil on the rough roads of LA. Ride height wasn't too low either, around a 1-inch drop. I ran them with Bilstein HD shocks and 15-inch wheels. For some extra adjustability, Koni Sport shocks are a great choice too.
              That's a really great stance. Did you use drop hats up front?

Comment

Originally posted by Johnny Haywire View Post

That's a really great stance. Did you use drop hats up front?
                I kept the stock e30 spring hats, so no drop hats.

Comment

Originally posted by mtech325 View Post

I kept the stock e30 spring hats, so no drop hats.
                  Right on, and thanks for the input. Great setting for that photo, btw.

Comment

Working...
                  X