No announcement yet.

Source for shorter wheel bolts to fit Maxlite Style 5 wheels? M12 x 1.5 x 20mm

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Source for shorter wheel bolts to fit Maxlite Style 5 wheels? M12 x 1.5 x 20mm

After finishing up my suspension work over the spring (report and measurements to come on that once I can actually drive the car), I went out to Tire Rack and had some Yokohama Advans mounted on my new 15x7 Maxilite wheels (purchased through Pelican Parts). Bolted them on when I got home to give her a shakedown and... click...click...click... Turns out, the Maxilites are shallower than stock BMW rims in the lug relief and the bolts are hitting the parking brake mechanism in the rear hubs. Seems like the stock bolts are about 5mm too long.

Anyone have a source for shorter bolts? I'm thinking M12 x 1.5 x 20mm is the size that should work just fine. Seeing a few offerings in Europe, but I'd really like to get them quickly if possible.

In the meantime, I guess I'm just going to go with some 5mm spacers.

Thanks in advance for any tips on where I might look.

I would cut them with a hack saw

This is how I do it-

Get a m12 1.5 nut, spin her down to the length you want, cut, take the nut off- that will clean the threads up for you and do that 19 more times.

Current Collection: 1990 325is // 1987 325i Vert // 2003 525i 5spd // 1985 380SL // 1992 Ranger 5spd // 2005 Avalanche // 2024 Honda Grom SP

Comment

I have a collection of wheel bolts from owning and parting out BMW's over the years. I'll check my stash tomorrow to see if
      I have something that would work.
      '91 "318is" slick top M50 turbo
      '97 Dodge 3500 12v Cummins
      '12 Mini Cooper S
      '89 318i Chump Car Project

Comment

Originally posted by MrBurgundy View Post

This is how I do it-

Get a m12 1.5 nut, spin her down to the length you want, cut, take the nut off- that will clean the threads up for you and do that 19 more times.
        This was my first instinct, but was unsure if it was okay to cut case hardened bolts. And was a bit worried about getting the lead-in thread right. Good to know that you've had no prob with that. I may give it a go.

Comment

Originally posted by BoostinEuros View Post
          I have a collection of wheel bolts from owning and parting out BMW's over the years. I'll check my stash tomorrow to see if
          I have something that would work.
          Thanks, Boostin! I appreciate it.

Comment

Originally posted by Johnny Haywire View Post

Thanks, Boostin! I appreciate it.
            I checked my stash, the shortest wheel bolts I had have a thread length of 25mm...

Might be best to run a thin hubcentric spacer. Or check out Otis wheel bolts out of California. They sell custom spec wheel bolts.
            '91 "318is" slick top M50 turbo
            '97 Dodge 3500 12v Cummins
            '12 Mini Cooper S
            '89 318i Chump Car Project

Comment

I would also try McMaster Carr. They have everything.

Comment

Originally posted by MrBurgundy View Post

This is how I do it-

+1

I did this after ordering a set of spacers with slightly-too-long extended lug bolts.

FWIW I also spent some time cleaning and tapering the ends with a file.

Comment

Thanks for all the tips and for digging through your parts bins, guys! I ended up using a nut to set the depth like MrBurgundy mentioned, then cutting them down with an angle grinder, with a bit of finish work on the bench grinder with a fine grit wheel. Wheels are now bolted up and I'm driving the car again!

Comment

Originally posted by Johnny Haywire View Post
                    Thanks for all the tips and for digging through your parts bins, guys! I ended up using a nut to set the depth like MrBurgundy mentioned, then cutting them down with an angle grinder, with a bit of finish work on the bench grinder with a fine grit wheel. Wheels are now bolted up and I'm driving the car again!
                    Glad you got it sorted!
                    Any pics of the new wheels on the car?

Comment

Originally posted by Panici View Post

Glad you got it sorted!
                      Any pics of the new wheels on the car?
                      Haven't had a chance to get her to any scenic locations, but here's a couple!

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6058 (2).jpg
Views:	95
Size:	62.9 KB
ID:	10057476 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6059 (2).jpg
Views:	94
Size:	58.3 KB
ID:	10057475 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6060 (2).jpg
Views:	93
Size:	63.9 KB