Hawk HPS don’t fit?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hawk HPS don’t fit?

I am installing new brakes (including calipers) in the rear and the pads don’t fit in the calipers.

Anyone had this issue? Any suggestions before I ask my neighbor with a CNC to take a couple mm off each pad so I can drive my damn car? This is up there with my ignition tumbler breaking in terms of stupidest problems I’ve had.

Calipers are new/rebuilt from CA Tuned and are fully compressed. Pic attached

tia,
    Vivek
    The first car I ever rode in was an e30

Originally posted by Cabriolet
    Wish you the best and hope you don't remember anything after 10pm.

1992 Mauritiusblau Vert
    2011 Alpinweiss 335is coupe

2002 540i/6 Black/Black
    2003 GSX-R 750 (RIP)

try installing the caliper bracket to the trailing arm first, fitting the pad to the caliper, and then trying to fit the caliper to the bracket. you might have better luck.
    '72 2002 pickup | '88 M5 | '89 330is | '89 M3 | '01 Z3M | '11 328xi-t

Comment

Originally posted by e30austin View Post
      try installing the caliper bracket to the trailing arm first, fitting the pad to the caliper, and then trying to fit the caliper to the bracket. you might have better luck.
      That was it! Thanks a ton
      The first car I ever rode in was an e30

Originally posted by Cabriolet
      Wish you the best and hope you don't remember anything after 10pm.

1992 Mauritiusblau Vert
      2011 Alpinweiss 335is coupe

2002 540i/6 Black/Black
      2003 GSX-R 750 (RIP)

Comment

Best way to install hawk hps is throw them in the bin
        89 E30 325is Lachs Silber - currently M20B31, M20B33 in the works, stroked to the hilt...

new build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=317505

Comment

Originally posted by digger View Post
          Best way to install hawk hps is throw them in the bin
          Solid advice.

Comment

Not usually one to comment on people's choices, but today I'll +1 "in the bin".

I ran HPS for like 8 years and somehow they were only half worn.
            They didn't dust very much, which was what I was promised, but stopping always felt a little weak and that was what drove me to replace them.

Pagid OE are something like $25 per axle and feel/stop much better.
            Originally posted by priapism
            My girl don't know shit, but she bakes a mean cupcake.
            Originally posted by shameson
            Usually it's best not to know how much money you have into your e30

Comment

In agreement with you guys. HPS are awful. I thought my braking system was broken - I replaced everything you can think of to fix a mushy pedal and kind of scary braking force. Bled and re-bled with no change - still mushy brakes, car could barely trigger ABS. Finally threw out the HPS, put in Pagid OE and it was magically fixed. I'd rather have brakes that work than worry about dust..
              Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Originally posted by nando View Post
                In agreement with you guys. HPS are awful. I thought my braking system was broken - I replaced everything you can think of to fix a mushy pedal and kind of scary braking force. Bled and re-bled with no change - still mushy brakes, car could barely trigger ABS. Finally threw out the HPS, put in Pagid OE and it was magically fixed. I'd rather have brakes that work than worry about dust..
                Alright, this describes my brakes to a "T". Might be time for some new pads.

Comment

I've never had a problem with Hawk. I've used them multiple times HPS, HPS 5.0 and the Ceramics. Pretty nice quality, low dust and stopping was always fine.

Comment

Working...
                  X