E30 Roadtrip Prep

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by McGyver View Post
    If you're worried about the fuel pump, just replace it pre-emptively (especially if it's buzzing).
    Who is worried about their fuel pump? I certainly wasn't. It was 7 years old, had <100,000mi on it and was not making any excessive noise, then it melted down on a gas stop. Even if you keep a used stock or cheapo in the box-o-parts just to get you home instead of your trick high flow unit, it's at least a prudent and easy to justify spare.

IG @turbovarg
    '91 318is, M20 turbo
    [CoTM: 4-18]
    '94 525iT slicktop, M50B30 + S362SX-E, 600WHP DD or bust
    - updated 3-17

Comment

I did a roadtrip in my E30, about 750 miles on a dying fuel pump without knowing. New ownership and it was miracle I made it back without getting stranded. I'd get a flashing check engine and slugging under heavy throttle (on hills mostly), wild times but beautiful views. But yeah, as long as it's not making an buzzing noises, you'll be good.

Comment

A few years ago I did a trip from CT to SF and back and the advice that got me thru was if your car can make it between oil changes you'll be fine.

I'd bring a spare alt belt, fuel pump, a few quarts of oil, maybe couple gallons of water, and a nice set of tools.

Make sure your cooling system is up to date.

And have fun!

it's a Kenny Powers quote on wheels

Comment

In, addition to all the above, it's never a bad idea to have an extra set of keys, ID, a credit card and some cash hidden in the engine compartment just in case something weird happens hundreds of miles from home
          ainadude
          Indian Wells, CA

sigpic

1991 325i 2dr. 5sp, delphin, w/freshly re-skinned IS sport seats/15" Ronal cross-spokes

1976 Triumph Spitfire w/1.8-liter Miata engine/transmission, koa dash with TR6 oil/volt gauges, lowered suspension, 14" Minilite replicas and more

2004 Kawasaki ZZR600

Comment

Cash! I have not seen cash in a few years. The last time I paid for something in cash, people looked at me like I am from another world.

Comment

Originally posted by varg View Post

Who is worried about their fuel pump? I certainly wasn't. It was 7 years old, had <100,000mi on it and was not making any excessive noise, then it melted down on a gas stop. Even if you keep a used stock or cheapo in the box-o-parts just to get you home instead of your trick high flow unit, it's at least a prudent and easy to justify spare.
              A long long time ago, I had an AirTex pump in my car and it ran fine. But one day, I ran the tank down to near empty and the pump started to make whining noise (These pumps need fuel to cool themselves off). I switched over the Tre pump and never run the tank below 1/4 full and everything has been fine.

Comment

Working...
              X