Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

E30 weird noise after stage 3 clutch install , is this normal or is something wrong ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

E30 weird noise after stage 3 clutch install , is this normal or is something wrong ?

So I recently installed a stage 3 clutch alone with a aluminum single mass flywheel and I replaced both the pilot and throwout bearing and I made sure to add grease to the throwout bearing , now that I think about I might have gotten a bit of grease from my hands on the contact surface of the bearing but anyway I got the car all back together and it started up fine but only one issue whenever I press the clutch in it makes this weird noise almost like a grinding noise , I’ll add a video below but it only does it when the clutch is pressed in and if I put in gear while being stationary with the clutch in it still makes the noise and when I drove it it would also make the noise in between gear changes. Now I’ve never had a stage 3 clutch on my car but I am pretty sure that’s not normal right ? Anyway I couldn’t upload the video so I had to post it on YouTube here is the link . You can see when I press the clutch in the noise will start . I haven’t drove the car since because I want tu be sure and not risk damaging anything anymore if I already did

Sorry I forgot to smack the top of my dash lol

Your video is private.

But yeah, noise when depressing the clutch isn't right.
    New throwout bearing? RIGHT throwout bearing?

You CAN get a bit of a 'zizzz' sound right as it engages,
    as you let off the pedal, from the radial surface grinding texture on the flywheel and pressure plate.

t
    now, sometimes I just mess with people. It's more entertaining that way. george graves

Comment

Sorry it’s not private anymore TobyB

Comment

It does seem like a throwout bearing issue. I also wonder about the pivot and if it happened to be greased or replaced when you put it back together. I think generally a squeak from the pivot would happen in the opposite case, but also worth investigating.

I don't know if there is much else that would cause this problem. I would consider pulling the transmission off and inspecting (at least) or replacing the throw out bearing. Inspecting the fork for bends, grease the pivot, etc. I think it is possible to incorrectly orient the throw out bearing, but I think you'd have other problems too.
        '84 318i M10B18 147- Safari Beige
        NA: 93whp/90ftlbs, MS2E w/ LC, 2-Step
        Turbo: 221whp/214ftlbs, MS3x flex @ 17psi

Comment

Working...
        X