ECU 18 MPH problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ECU 18 MPH problem

Car wouldn’t pass BAR, it’s a completely stock S50 in a 318is When the ref plugged in a scanner to see live data, it showed the car was traveling 18mph while at idle, the speedo reads right, what would be causing this issue?

I had this same issue your dme is probably from an automatic . Same thing happened to me so I had to buy a manual dme and then he passed it . He also made me have the glovebox taken apart so he could see the dme part number and vin

Comment

I searched up the vin and the car it came from was a manual, i’ll call bmw in the morning just to confirm. In the case that it is a manual ecu, is there anything else that would effect speed that the ecu is seeing?

Comment

Originally posted by Brixk View Post
        I searched up the vin and the car it came from was a manual, i’ll call bmw in the morning just to confirm. In the case that it is a manual ecu, is there anything else that would effect speed that the ecu is seeing?
        no. not without the wheels turning.

Comment

Originally posted by Brixk View Post
          Did they do the sniffer test? Mine was reading high with the auto dme also . Then the manual dme made the emissions come down also . 🤷🏻‍♂️🤷🏻‍♂️
          a fresh oil change helps the emissions go lower and hot cats

Comment

so I called bmw to decide the vin and turns out the ecu is in fact from a manual car.

as for the sniffer test, I did change the oil (5w-40 castrol euro) a week prior and the car burns SUPERR clean, so there was no issues smog/emissions wise. although the car could benefit from a new 02 as the scanner also read that the 02 was staying at .4v and not fluctuating.

Comment

Hmmm I’m not sure then . I failed because of the dme the first time . Then changed the dme and passed the second time . Luckily that was my only correction . The tech told me don’t worry no one passes the first try although I was very close . Good luck!! When they pass you and you pay the sticker fee is a great feeling

Comment

I can’t wait for that feeling, just have to figure this little hiccup first, it’s completely throwing me for a loop.

Comment

Working...
                X