Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone ever use an Ozone Generator to kill the odors in their e30?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone ever use an Ozone Generator to kill the odors in their e30?

I've read online that one of the best ways to kill odors in your car, or anywhere for that matter, is with an ozone generator. A lot of recommendations online, but also a lot of warnings about ozone causing damage to plastic/ leather / rubber/ vinyl if exposed for too long. It seems if done with caution, it can be a great method of freshening up the cabin. Anyone here who's tried and can speak on their experience and / or share some tips for success? cheers

I grabbed this cheapy on amazon and have used it on a few cars so far. e30, f350, defender and even my motorhome. It's worked great. It hasn't completely eliminated the smell but I'd say in each case it gets cut to maybe 25% of the original scent.

One of the shops I used to sell parts to did it to tons of customer cars. Really helps when scents are stuck in the headliners.
    84 325e - 91 325i - 92 318 touring - 91 Trans Am - 01 S4 avant - 03 S-type R - 96 F350
    Manual swap all the things!

Comment

Originally posted by iansane View Post
      I grabbed this cheapy on amazon and have used it on a few cars so far. e30, f350, defender and even my motorhome. It's worked great. It hasn't completely eliminated the smell but I'd say in each case it gets cut to maybe 25% of the original scent.

One of the shops I used to sell parts to did it to tons of customer cars. Really helps when scents are stuck in the headliners.
      Ha I was going to buy that exact unit last night but had to go with a different option because that one doesn’t ship to California. Could you share how long you let it run each time, and how frequently you used it?

Comment

I've never tried Ozone, but I'd suggest to stay away from of of those "Auto Shocker" Chlorine treatments.

Had one go off like a bomb in my M3. The explosion set off the factory car alarm and alerted me to the problem after I was already inside the house. Interior would have probably been ruined if the alarm didn't go off.

Comment

Originally posted by cumwizard13 View Post

Ha I was going to buy that exact unit last night but had to go with a different option because that one doesn’t ship to California. Could you share how long you let it run each time, and how frequently you used it?
          My f350 and defender stunk something fierce. Both of those I let run for several hours two or three times. My LSe30 only needed a single 2 hour stint.
          84 325e - 91 325i - 92 318 touring - 91 Trans Am - 01 S4 avant - 03 S-type R - 96 F350
          Manual swap all the things!

Comment

Yes, ozone generators do seem to work, have used one on my work truck with some success. In that case, 2x 45 minute sessions. I'd say start with less time and move up, also don't plan to drive the vehicle the next day.

Comment

Originally posted by roguetoaster View Post
              Yes, ozone generators do seem to work, have used one on my work truck with some success. In that case, 2x 45 minute sessions. I'd say start with less time and move up, also don't plan to drive the vehicle the next day.
              thanks i think i'll take your advice and start with 45 mins

Comment

Originally posted by roguetoaster View Post
                This is the way.

Start small and build. Hard to undo things once they're over-done.
                1985 E30 S52 - Daily Driver
                1986 M635Csi - For the best days

Comment

This guy's name is fuckin' cumwizard
                  Current Collection: 1990 325is // 1987 325i Vert // 2003 525i 5spd // 1985 380SL // 1992 Ranger 5spd // 2005 Avalanche // 2024 Honda Grom SP

Comment

I have a mammoth odor air purifier and it did kill the "old car smell".
                    "It wouldn't be there if it wasn't..." - Milton Berle

1988 325iS - M20

Comment

The Mothers Odor Eliminators work really well. I've used them in my Vanagon that I use for mountain biking trips and it really removes the sweaty stank.
                      AWD > RWD

Comment

I was fearful of damaging plastics too, but I used this one in an E39 and it worked great.

What worked best for me was balancing the unit in a window with the intake pulling from outside the car and have the blower motor running with all the vents open. Ran it for 30minutes, but then let the car set overnight without opening any doors/windows.

... Also worked well on carpet. Rolled up some carpet and created a little enclosure with drop cloth plastic and let it run for 20-30min.

Comment

Working...
                        X