How to increase throttle response?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to increase throttle response?

This has been something that's subliminally bothered me since I've owned this car. The throttle response is pretty sluggish.

Are there ways to improve this without running ITBs?

Put a 24 valve in it.
    ** Lot's of M20 turbo parts for sale.**

Turn key track car.

http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=222066

Comment

Delete AFM. As of now, your motor has to suck enough air out of your intake system to lower your intake pressure(vacuum) enough to force your AFM door open more once you hit the throttle...

This is one thing that contributes to the lag time between when you open your throttle body and when you feel more power. Keep in mind that this is the concept in simple terms and that in reality it's a little more complex.
      Last edited by shiftbmw; 04-26-2009, 02:54 PM.
      sigpic
      "The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter." - Winston Churchill

Comment

I know it's not the same thing, but a lighter flywheel will feel similar to improved throttle response. The engine will rev up and (especially) down noticeably quicker.
        sigpic
        1987 Mercedes 190E 2.3-16: Vintage Racer
        2010 BMW (E90) 335xi sedan: Grocery Getter

Comment

I dont know what to Say, but maybe 1 thing you can do is get a special 4 cylinder motor ;)

Comment

I guess I'm looking for any options that wont cost me $1000+

I've already got a LW Flywheel.

Shift - are you talking about switching to an MAF system? Would that increase response over the AFM?

Comment

AFM to AMM conversion will increase throttle response (not a whole hell of a lot else though without other mods) the Miller MAF conversion is about the simplest and I think it goes for @ $600.
              I'm Not Right in the Head | Random Rants and other Nonsense1st Order Logic Failure: Association fallacy, this type of fallacy can be expressed as (∃xS : φ(x)) → (∀xS : φ(x)), meaning "if there exists any x in the set S so that a property φ is true for x, then for all x in S the property φ must be true".

Comment

$600 isn't bad I'll check it out.

I was just looking into the Split Second kit and it's like $950

Comment

Originally posted by Mucci View Post
                  $600 isn't bad I'll check it out.

I was just looking into the Split Second kit and it's like $950
                  The Miller is a lot simpler and works pretty well.
                  I'm Not Right in the Head | Random Rants and other Nonsense1st Order Logic Failure: Association fallacy, this type of fallacy can be expressed as (∃xS : φ(x)) → (∀xS : φ(x)), meaning "if there exists any x in the set S so that a property φ is true for x, then for all x in S the property φ must be true".

Comment

Where did you get the $600 number?

On their site, the GenIII kit is only $300

+20hp/+22tq

That's pretty good for the money.

Dyno Graphs

I could e-mail them, but do you happen to know if the kit is compatible with aftermarket chipped ECU's?

Comment

Originally posted by Mucci View Post
                      Where did you get the $600 number?

On their site, the GenIII kit is only $300

+20hp/+22tq

That's pretty good for the money.

Dyno Graphs

I could e-mail them, but do you happen to know if the kit is compatible with aftermarket chipped ECU's?
                      Dunno, thought it was like $600. Hell for $300 I'm in for one just to play with.

Comment

Originally posted by YAN-3 View Post
                        I dont know what to Say, but maybe 1 thing you can do is get a special 4 cylinder motor ;)
                        Oh I see what you did there.

;)
                        M Coupe

Comment

Hey, Just looked, that's a whole new system from Miller.

Comment

Oh yea? Looks like it actually comes out to around $340 for the 2.5L kit.

Looks like the kit comes with ECU software, so my previous question is answered.

It would be interesting to see how the car feels with this kit vs. the Dinan software I've got currently. They claim around the same gains, so it's really how much throttle response is improved.

Comment

AFM or MAF is not a huge difference if you are running a stock motor.

I have a fairly lightweight bottom end, and a 13.5lb flywheel on my 2.8L M20 and I have fantastic throttle response... and that is WITH the AFM.

Comment

Working...
                              X