Bad Experience Selling a car

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bad Experience Selling a car

Recently sold the e30 vert...3 weeks later I start receiving phone calls and emails about how the car is now not running. Mind you buyer came to look at the car twice, both during the day and started the car both days, driving off on the second visit. I get a phone call from buyer's parent threatening me with legal action...and the latest correspondence was a threat of taking out newspaper ads to defame me and my place of employment...this is going to be interesting.

Mind you said party couldn't drive stick and had to have someone come test drive the car on the first visit, and now wants me to be somehow responsible for damage to a car that happened out of my possession...sigh...and all because I held the car for him.

Oh well, live and learn.
    BMWCCA #389756

Did you sell it as is, with an as is form?
    1985 M10b18. 70maybewhpoffury. Over engineered S50b30 murica BBQ swap in progress.

Originally posted by DEV0 E30
    You'd chugg this butt. I know you would. Ain't gotta' lie to kick it brostantinople.

Comment

Originally posted by Holland View Post
      Did you sell it as is, with an as is form?
      Absolutely...there's no other way to sell a 22 year old car for $4K

There was no implication of a warranty on said car...in fact there was no pressure from me to sell him the car...thank God for emails documenting all correspondence
      BMWCCA #389756

Comment

If need be, get a lawyer, because your not held accountable for what that shithead does.

Originally posted by Farbin Kaiber
        You are lucky your Dad didn't pull out and leave you on the passenger side seat.

Comment

If they signed it acknowledging that it was sold as is then they can't do shit.
          1985 M10b18. 70maybewhpoffury. Over engineered S50b30 murica BBQ swap in progress.

Originally posted by DEV0 E30
          You'd chugg this butt. I know you would. Ain't gotta' lie to kick it brostantinople.

Comment

Probably something simple like out of gas or dead battery his parents are fruit cakes for not asking for advise and demanding a fix! Lol good luck

1986 325es (69k) Garage Queen Buy It Now 10k;1986 325es (track rat) 2.7i How-To & 1.1/1.3Motronic UpGrade
            1991 318is (daily driver) 1991 318is M42 Maintenance How-To;1989 325i (parts car)

Comment

I've always made sure to draw up a bill of sale whenever i've sold cars in the past, stating the vin, make model, sale price, and most importantly the date and that the car is sold as is with no warranty whatsoever. Something to keep in mind for future transactions

Comment

Originally posted by KillaCams View Post
                I've always made sure to draw up a bill of sale whenever i've sold cars in the past, stating the vin, make model, sale price, and most importantly the date and that the car is sold as is with no warranty whatsoever. Something to keep in mind for future transactions
                Very sound advice.
                BMWCCA #389756

Comment

Selling cars is touchy, unless the car is registered right away by the new owner you will be held liable for any tickets or anything the car gets as you're the last/current registered owner. I learned the bill of sale system from my brother, a few years back it saved him in NY when a car he sold was abandoned and the city tried to make him pay the tickets. He showed up to court with his bill of sale showing the car incurred the tickets after the date of sale, the tickets were of course dismissed. It would also negate any chance of legal repercussion similar to what your current buyer is threatening you with. Live and learn, hopefully this all works out for you with no bigger issues than douche bag phone calls.

Comment

Originally posted by KillaCams View Post
                    Selling cars is touchy, unless the car is registered right away by the new owner you will be held liable for any tickets or anything the car gets as you're the last/current registered owner. I learned the bill of sale system from my brother, a few years back it saved him in NY when a car he sold was abandoned and the city tried to make him pay the tickets. He showed up to court with his bill of sale showing the car incurred the tickets after the date of sale, the tickets were of course dismissed. It would also negate any chance of legal repercussion similar to what your current buyer is threatening you with. Live and learn, hopefully this all works out for you with no bigger issues than douche bag phone calls.
                    I have already contacted my attorney regarding the situation.
                    BMWCCA #389756

Comment

so whats really wrong with the car?
                      1989 cirrisblau-metallic 325i

Comment

Originally posted by SpecM View Post

Classic r3v.
                        Need a part? PM me.

Get your Bass on. Luke's r3v Boxes are here: http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=198123

Comment

sorry to hear about this..

Comment

Originally posted by SpecM View Post
                            Originally posted by ck_taft325is View Post
                            Classic r3v.
                            Nothing...the car was fine/great in my possession. I drove it at least 2 times a week to reduce the mileage on the e39

I have no idea what the issue is now supposedly. :shrug:
                            BMWCCA #389756

Comment

Originally posted by selturk View Post
                              sorry to hear about this..
                              Tell me about it...I was better off selling you the car
                              BMWCCA #389756

Comment

Working...
                              X