Ohhhh mf son of a b

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ohhhh mf son of a b

Well after the death of my 318i alpine white, i was in desperate need of a dd. Frantically searching for options, a running eng and trans to swap over the weekend i decided to find a decent dd with a reliable power train, cosmetics were not important, but reliability was paramount.

Looked all over cl from sf bay area to san diego, i sourced a good candidate on this forum. after pm and phone calls the owner agreed to bring the up from oc to la. The car drove well and had some issues that I knew that needed to be addressed, brakes rear sub frame bushings Idled fine but a bit high 1k rpm shifted fine with the auto tranny, an oil leak from the head near the number 1 bolt in the tightening sequence for torquing the head was a concern but made the purchase anyways out of desperation (I really regret it now).

Keep in mind that I drove the car less then 100 miles, i began to look into the rough idle the car has. I was told the eng.had been rebuilt 80k ago after removing the valve cover his info made sense (have pics but cant find cord for camera) look clean and well kept. Next I removed all spark plugs, heavy carbon deposits looks like they haven't been changed since alleged rebuild.

Next was to remove cap and rotor for inspection and if needed add to the punch list of preventative maintenance that needed to be done. getting the dist. cap off was a pain so I removed one of the upper radiator hose and to my disgust a nice soupy mix of emulsified oil and coolant poured from the engine. The engine had been this way for some time the coating in the hose was at least 1/8 in thick as well as the therm housing.

I will refrain from mentioning any names at this point and will not post pics of the car to protect the member until he has the opportunity to make the situation right.

I have a very hard time believing a fellow enthusiast would take advantage of another member, granted I have very few posts and do alot I mean alot of lurking, reading and learning.

so what are my options, the car holds temp and runs, has good power and pulls strong from what I have observed. I tend to think the previous, previous owner did not torque the head correctly. I could replace the hg and bolts, but that is really f%#d. that is the best case scenario that it only needs a hg. I am now back to having a no op dd and spent the $$$ to replace the eng and trans on the 318. ohh my god am I fckin pissed right now.

I am ready to drive this thing through the living room of his house right now, yea I have the address on the registration.

Buyer beware. You should have thoroughly completed a PPI on your own, or at a reputable shop, regardless of how many posts the seller had.

Comment

I agree, moving past the problem to the solution do you have any valuable input or are you just going to make me feel worse about the situation?

Comment

Valuable Input: I'd re-replace the head gasket then, from what you say. Or replace with a junkyard longblock.

Comment

Seems to me FB is giving you valuable input.

Should have checked the car out prior to purchase. No doubt your situation sucks, but you more or less brought it on yourself. Forum member with lots of posts, or not; why are you trusting anyone???

The only solution to this situation is profoundly simple. Sell the car as is, with the busted head gasket and buy another car. Or do a head gasket and keep it. I rather doubt the PO that sold you the car is going to feel liable, even they might be morally, legally, your screwed. Assuming there was no written warranty.

On to what is not a solution. Flaming the PO on this or another forum. That really wont do you much good, and probably will get your thread locked, I dunno. Venting is one thing, but I wouldnt call the PO out in here about it.

Guess, lesson learned might be the best approach/solution at this point. Too bad for you dude, really, but... hey, we all make mistakes.
          sigpic 1987 325is

Comment

Yea I know I have bought several used cars, and this is the 1st time I have had any issues, there was no water in the oil system and no oil in the expansion tank, the only way I knew how bad it was is whe I removed the upper rad hose. From the description I have given and the symptoms I would like to believe i just need a hg, and while I am in there might as well change tb and therm. Just a tad bit pissed off as you could imagine, timing could have not been worse. I will refrain from flaming the po, it doesn't make the sit any better and just makes me look like an ass, just a little venting on my part.

Comment

There is a lot more than the timing belt and thermostat you should be replacing. Do you need a list?

Comment

We have transaction feedback here for a reason. It shouldn't all be positive dick sucking. Post it up.
                2006 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4WD LBZ/Allison
                2002 BMW M3 Alpinweiß/Black
                1999 323i GTS2 Alpinweiß
                1995 M3 Dakargelb/Black
                - S50B32/S6S420G/3.91
                1990 325is Brilliantrot/Tan
                1989 M3 Alpinweiß/Black

Hers: 1996 Porsche 911 Turbo Black/Black
                Hers: 1988 325iX Coupe Diamantschwartz/Black 5spd

sigpic

Comment

Intake manifold gasket
                  exhaust manifold gasket
                  timing belt
                  cam seal
                  crank seal
                  cylinder head gasket
                  tensioner
                  upper rad hose
                  lower rad hose
                  water pump

I could go on, but if you plan to keep this car, don't treat it like a half-ass, thats what the PO did, and left you in this situation.

Comment

You bought a 10-20 year old used car, what do you expect? How much did you pay for it?

Unless you paid top dollar, of course it will need a crap load of work lol.
                    Mtech1 v8 build thread - https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...d.php?t=413205

OEM v8 manual chip or dme - https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho....php?p=4938827

Comment

Originally posted by nrubenstein View Post
                      We have transaction feedback here for a reason. It shouldn't all be positive dick sucking. Post it up.
                      Sounds logical to me.

OP:

1. There are general discussion / tech threads to help you fix the car, as evidenced above by Farbin.

2. There's a transaction feedback section as well, to let others know you've been ripped off, and by whom. I for one would be curious to know for my own peace of mind. But you've elected to...

refrain from mentioning any names at this point and will not post pics of the car to protect the member until he has the opportunity to make the situation right.
                      Which I think is the ethical thing to do, so good for you.

That being said, divide your efforts appropriately into these two areas of the forum, and I think you'll get the valuable input you're looking for.
                      87 325iC 90 325iC 88 325iC 87 325i 87 325iS 87 325eS

Comment

Hold on a moment guys. Buyer beware may be well and good, but if the seller had knowledge of an oil-in-coolant situation and did not disclose it, while he may be LEGALLY in the right, he's still someone who deserves his ass kicked from here to Hawaii - via Moscow, Brisbane and Paris, in that order. It would be FANTASTICALLY unethical not to disclose something like that. I think we need to hear both sides of this story.

Comment

Most people on this forum will try and sell you their crap. EVER deal I have ever done here has been less than stellar. Actually, pretty much ever deal Ive done here, Ive kind of been ripped off.

Its only going to go on so long, till your rip the wrong person off.
                          90 Bronzit 325is (I <3 my e30!) RIP. Best car ever.
                          83 Delphin 320i (R.est I.n P.ieces)
                          07 STI Stg2 (Sold)

Comment

Originally posted by torqueflight View Post
                            Most people on this forum will try and sell you their crap. EVER deal I have ever done here has been less than stellar. Actually, pretty much ever deal Ive done here, Ive kind of been ripped off.

Its only going to go on so long, till your rip the wrong person off.
                            Yea, I am still considering the driving the car through the house scenario

Comment

Originally posted by nmlss2006 View Post
                              Hold on a moment guys. Buyer beware may be well and good, but if the seller had knowledge of an oil-in-coolant situation and did not disclose it, while he may be LEGALLY in the right, he's still someone who deserves his ass kicked from here to Hawaii - via Moscow, Brisbane and Paris, in that order. It would be FANTASTICALLY unethical not to disclose something like that. I think we need to hear both sides of this story.
                              If the buyer didn't fully inspect the car, and bought on someone's word alone, it's his fault. Any intelligent individual, who was un-savvy in the automotive realm, should, and would take the vehicle to a professional to have an inspection to verify the condition of the car. End of story.

Comment

Working...
                              X