No announcement yet.

DIY Heaterbox

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How do you plan to use this to defrost a windshield, for example?

Originally posted by vlad
    Do you know anybody else who built that many bad ass E30s?

Comment

even the hick things you're a redneck. lol
      Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Originally posted by nando View Post
        even the hick things you're a redneck. lol
        ahahhahahahah YEAH! Youre so du.... oh :(

Comment

+1 for experimenting. i love experiments, especially when they don't cost a lot.

-1 for sad possible outcome of results, but if it doesn't work all that well you know the solution.
          Estoril E36 M3/4/5 | Toledo E53 X5 3.0 | LeMans E90 335D M-Sport

Comment

this has a high likelihood of FAIL.. but I guess you are having fun at it :P

I'd have gone with the stock heater core. In my race car, there's no heater core but I do need some way of defogging the windshield in the rain. We thought about re-using a rear winshield defroster from a vert, but it's easier to just duct hot air from the trans tunnel area.
            '12 F30 328i Sport Line
            '91 SpecE30 #523
            '00 Ford F-350 Dually Tow Vehicle

BMWCCA #360858 NASA #

Comment

Originally posted by kishg View Post

I'd have gone with the stock heater core. In my race car, there's no heater core but I do need some way of defogging the windshield in the rain. We thought about re-using a rear winshield defroster from a vert, but it's easier to just duct hot air from the trans tunnel area.
              Got more info/pics of your ducting method?

I too have removed the heater core in the track car, and I'm looking for a good solution to defrosting the windshield.

I was thinking of a 12v ceramic heater into some brake ducting, but I haven't moved past the contemplation phase of this part of the car.
              My E30 v1.0 | v2.0 | v3.0 | My E28 |My E34 | My feedback

Comment

Seems like your time would be better spent tackling useful projects, like cleaning up your wiring lol

Comment

I've always been proud of being a Marine.
                  I won't hesitate to defend the Corps
                  "Supersquad"

‎"Prostitutes are a sub-category of Amusement Parks"-

Comment

Originally posted by Hick View Post
                    How do you plan to use this to defrost a windshield, for example?
                    Ill be running ducting to each footwell, one of the center vents, and also one up to the windshield.

Originally posted by GaryE30 View Post
                    +1 for experimenting. i love experiments, especially when they don't cost a lot.

-1 for sad possible outcome of results, but if it doesn't work all that well you know the solution.
                    Thanks for the support. My theory is if I can get some heat into that lexan box, then blow some air out of it then my car will be warmer then having no heat.

Originally posted by kishg View Post

But you just left the stock unit in, my car came with NOTHING, no wiring no ducting no blower motor, no blower motor mount, no lines, no NOTHING.

Comment

i wanna see you do a motor swap.
                      NEED SOME VINYL STICKERS???

Comment

I have to ask.. what's the unrestricted rating of those computer fans? 100 CFM?
                        Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Originally posted by BDSax View Post
                          i wanna see you do a motor swap.
                          ok

Comment

Originally posted by Dude View Post
                            Ill be running ducting to each footwell, one of the center vents, and also one up to the windshield.
                            It may be easier to just have long wire leads, assuming you are going to use the 30amp power from the cig lighter, and just make it so that you can move the heater box from place to place.... Need heat on your feet, put it on under your legs. Heat for your face you could set it above the cluster on the dash. Defrost, just turn it around!

let me know what you think!

Comment

Its getting mounted in the stock location, but im guessing that was sarcasm

Comment

pretty sure those fans don't need 30 amps. lol. maybe 3 amps.
                                Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Working...
                                X