Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Prototyping my Alipna style gauge setup - what should I monitor?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

And all this time I thought this disappeared. You sly dog you.

Also Is that gregs car infront of a cobra? Nice!
    Originally posted by Sonny
    I am a meme for our community.

Comment

i was reading around in the general section of s14 and came across another thread with some similarity. here is the link: http://www.s14.net/forums/showthread...262#post470262 i think you have a great idea with the bezel but as i posted in that thread, i personally believe it a waste of this product's potential to make it alpina-like. i don't know the limits of your abilities, but instead of confining yourself to 4 rudimentary led outputs, what about an organic led screen that can be interfaced with a laptop? this could allow the user to customize the outputs to suit their needs. what do you think about allowing the user to display bar graphs so you don't have to take your eyes off the track to read your instruments? the same digital instrument could be used in many many models of vehicles. once the product is developed(perhaps one with a horizontal screen and one vertical), all you would have to do is design a plastic vent bezel for each model. grand scale here. subaru, ford, honda.....hell, even pick ups.

i think if someone wants an alpina vent display, they should go buy one on ebay.de for 2+ grand. you could have a higher calling here if you wish.
      sigpic
      Gigitty Gigitty!!!!

88 cabrio becoming alpina b6 3.5s transplanted s62
      92 Mtech 2 cabrio alpinweiss 770 code
      88 325ix coupe manual lachsilber/cardinal
      88 325ix coupe manual diamondschwartz/natur
      87 e30 m3 for parts lachsilber/cardinal(serial number 7)
      12 135i M sport cabrio grey/black

Comment

^^freaking awesome product
        Renting my rear wheel bearing tool kit. SIR
        http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c5...ps6debf0b0.jpg

Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

Comment

Looks great. But I think if you're going to make an alpina gauge it should be a real replica. If not, you need at least an LCD screen. Those generic gauges just don't look right.

But the plastic bezel looks great - I'd love to buy some bezels, and put some customs designed gauges in there!

I have a large collection of reference images for the alpina gauge - it was something I was thinking of making, but it's just too much work for one person. If you would like to make an alpina vent reproduction - just the plastic parts, let me know - I'd be glad to supply the electronics!

Last edited by george graves; 03-19-2011, 11:25 PM.
          Originally posted by Matt-B
          hey does anyone know anyone who gets upset and makes electronics?

Comment

I am in if you make Alpina gauge.
            Projects Hartge,Alpina & AC Schnitzer Builds.http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=280601
            http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=227993
            http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=289362

DSC04926 by Raul Salinas, on FlickrDSC03413 by Raul Salinas, on Flickr

Comment

Originally posted by george graves View Post
              Looks great. But I think if you're going to make an alpina gauge it should be a real replica. If not, you need at least an LCD screen. Those generic gauges just don't look right.

But the plastic bezel looks great - I'd love to buy some bezels, and put some customs designed gauges in there!

I have a large collection of reference images for the alpina gauge - it was something I was thinking of making, but it's just too much work for one person. If you would like to make an alpina vent reproduction - just the plastic parts, let me know - I'd be glad to supply the electronics!

OP is an idiot if he doesn't take you up on this GG.

Red Rocket Labs for the win.
              Originally posted by Dozyproductions
              All girls fuck but not all girls fuck around with combustion engines.

Comment

Originally posted by flyboyx View Post
                i was reading around in the general section of s14 and came across another thread with some similarity. here is the link: http://www.s14.net/forums/showthread...262#post470262 i think you have a great idea with the bezel but as i posted in that thread, i personally believe it a waste of this product's potential to make it alpina-like.
                The only part of this product that is Alpina-like is that it uses an e30 vent and has the potential to display up to 4 items.

Thanks for the link to the project on the s14 board.

i don't know the limits of your abilities, but instead of confining yourself to 4 rudimentary led outputs, what about an organic led screen that can be interfaced with a laptop? this could allow the user to customize the outputs to suit their needs.
                We have looked into the OLED option and there are two issues with that technology at this time:

1 - cost of the display

Large displays are available but they are not cheap. The most accessible displays are trickle down from cell phone technology and we are limited to whatever display sizes that are used. To use a more unique display size increases cost a lot as the manufacturer knows there is limited competition.

2 - size of display elements

PLX came out with OLED gauges and they are very cool, but when I bought one to test in my pods I found the displayed information very hard to read due to the small size of the information shown on their 52mm unit.

Using the images provided in the s14 link the LED displays are 0.3" tall and the OLED display boards are about the same size.

We took some measurements using the boost/voltage image and determined that the text used up 40% and the numbers 60% of the display, so the 13.0PSI reading that is shown is ~0.16" tall. Information shown at this size is hard to read, however, remove the text title and you have a much better 0.3" tall character to read. The LEDs that we use show digits that are 0.4" tall.

The e30 solution will initially be released with a LED display setup and we will look into developing an OLED display for a future version as the technology becomes more accessible and cost effective.

what do you think about allowing the user to display bar graphs so you don't have to take your eyes off the track to read your instruments? the same digital instrument could be used in many many models of vehicles. once the product is developed(perhaps one with a horizontal screen and one vertical), all you would have to do is design a plastic vent bezel for each model. grand scale here. subaru, ford, honda.....hell, even pick ups.

i think if someone wants an alpina vent display, they should go buy one on ebay.de for 2+ grand. you could have a higher calling here if you wish.
                Bar graphs are available as shown in this picture of the prototype in an Audi

As I mentioned before this setup we have created is going to be very flexible unlike the original Alpina setup which was supplied with only 4 preselected displays.

For example you can have this Valentine 1 remote display in the vent

Last edited by MC Hammered; 03-20-2011, 08:23 AM.

My 1989 e30 s52 Touring... this is Betty

My 1989 325i vert (sold)...this is Nina

My 1991 M5 (sold)... this is Veronica

Photo comparison: OEM vs aftermarket windscreen for a convertible

Comment

Originally posted by nwvb bmw View Post
                  If you can make it similar to the Alpina vent gauge I am in.
                  Werd!

Oil temp, oil pressure, A/F, Fuel pressure... I'd be all over that!

Nürburgring info

Comment

Ass a turbo guy the important things to me are

AFR
                    Boost
                    Oil Temp
                    Air Intake Temperature

N/A guys would have different needs. But i do think its silly to have 2 water temp displays
                    Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

www.gecoils.com
                    My euro 316 project Transaction Feedback

Comment

Hey cool idea. I want one.

'89 Alpine S52 with goodies

Comment

You can put me down for;
                        Oil temp,
                        Oil pressure,
                        Air intake temp,
                        Fuel pressure.

I look forward to this Winston.
                        Originally posted by Sonny
                        I am a meme for our community.

Comment

I would be in if it is similar to the Alpina design. Make the gauge holder and let GG wire it up and put in the displays!

Comment

if you can make it do oil temp, pressure, volts and AFR I'd buy one. 100% no bullshit. I want to relocate my gauges to the center vents but I can't stand the thought of not having them on freezing ass winter mornings.

manifold pressure/boost might be a good substitute for volts as well. Volts isn't terribly useful, but is neat to have. I'd rather have manifold pressure and relocate my voltmeter somewhere else.

I don't care about it being an alpina replica. just make it as functional as possible.
                            Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Bad ass

Originally posted by MC Hammered View Post

Comment

Im am SO down for a setup like this. I have always loved the Alpina setup due to the fact it actually looke like the vent, rather than a flat piece of ABS with holes in it, but there is no way Im paying 2k for guages for a car that's worth about 2k. I think the std options like: AFR, Oil P, Oil T, Boost, IAT, EGT, Voltage, & Amps are the more than obvious ones, but the V1 remote or maybe some kind of tuning controls would be really nice. As stated before, once the OLED displays become cheaper that would really be the way to go, or maybe the standard led as a base and the OLED as an upgraded system.

-Brian

Comment

Working...
                                X