iphone dyno apps

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by tjts1 View Post
    All the INS systems made today are solid state. The chip set is different (read higher quality, multiple independent points of measure) but its still essentially the same technology as your phone.
    I am not going to get into a pissing contest here. The reasoning you stated was horribly flawed which is why I spoke up. Bottom line, the iphone still makes a decent ballparking system as long as you use it correctly.

Comment

Originally posted by VinniE30 View Post
      Did you read anything else I wrote? The point in my example is that the turbo car would have greater peak acceleration so it would read higher than a NA car with the same HP. Peak acceleration does not directly correlate to HP in many cases. Peak acceleration could be right after the car is launched from a standstill. In that case than a AWD car would have an advantage over a RWD car with the same HP.
      nope. you are wrong. and awd vs rwd? wtf... since when did your drivetrain layout have anything to do with horsepower curves in your engine? that is just laughable...

dynolicious has been verified multiple times to read within a few hp of a wheel dyno. turbo, n/a, nitrous, w.e. it does not make any difference.

and wheel dynos arent even all that accurate. hell, engine horsepower fluctuates depending on weather, so you'll never get a 100% accurate horsepower figure.

dynolicious is not bs. even autoblog says its fairly accurate if you do a bunch of passes and take your averages.
      Last edited by Kershaw; 04-07-2011, 11:18 AM.
      AWD > RWD

Comment

Try Log Works

it seems pretty oddly accurate...

i got around 131hp in my 318is

my buddy has around 320 with his Stillen s-charged G35

jou ma se poes in 'n fishpaste jar.
        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Transaction Feedback

Comment

guys, these are fun toys - but they aren't going to replace a dyno. For one, accelerometer inputs are *heavily* averaged. at higher speeds, the rate of acceleration slows and the margin of error gets larger. Plus you don't really have an accurate way of truely calibrating them, and they are subject to all the harmonics and vibratons of your car.

also, accleration rates definitely do affect it - I get my "peak" acceleration in 1st gear right when I let out the clutch. something like an Iphone will see that as huge HP, but the reality is I'm letting the clutch out at ~1200rpm where HP production is negligeable..
          Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Originally posted by Kershaw View Post
            nope. you are wrong. and awd vs rwd? wtf... since when did your drivetrain layout have anything to do with horsepower curves in your engine? that is just laughable...
            I never said AWD vs RWD had anything to do with horsepower curves.
            I said it would result in an AWD car having a higher peak acceleration. And since the app measures HP based on only peak acceleration it would give a different reading than a car with the SAME HP but RWD.

Also, this doesn't take into factors account such as gear ratios and transmission.
            For example, it would be off if you tested 2 cars that were identical except for gear ratios. It would give an e30 with a 4.10 diff a high HP number than one with a 3.46 diff all else being equal.

Originally posted by nando View Post
            also, accleration rates definitely do affect it - I get my "peak" acceleration in 1st gear right when I let out the clutch. something like an Iphone will see that as huge HP, but the reality is I'm letting the clutch out at ~1200rpm where HP production is negligeable..
            Exactly what I was saying.
            Zinno '89 <24v swap in progress>

Comment

Dynolicous sucked when I tried it. I did a run and it calculated that my 318is has 7 horse power lol. Then my friends srt4 had 10 hp?

Comment

Originally posted by ///digitalme View Post
                Dynolicous sucked when I tried it. I did a run and it calculated that my 318is has 7 horse power lol. Then my friends srt4 had 10 hp?
                sounds about right.
                AWD > RWD

Comment

I had good experiences with mine 135 WHP wiht a318is alumnum flywheel and chip + cops
                  [/url]

Team USA Wrestling 67KG
                  Team USA Wrestling Strength And Conditioning Coach

Comment

Originally posted by VinniE30 View Post
                    Also, this doesn't take into factors account such as gear ratios and transmission.
                    For example, it would be off if you tested 2 cars that were identical except for gear ratios. It would give an e30 with a 4.10 diff a high HP number than one with a 3.46 diff all else being equal..
                    This was my thought as well. Seems like a pretty easy way to fool it.

>> 1988 3.1 ITB E30 /// 2002 E46 M3 6MT / 2008 335xi 6MT / 1991 S38B36 E30 (sold)

Comment

is there a way to input all the info?
                      havent bought it yet lol.
                      i played with the rev one, kinda cool to see the accel. ball move around and see the lateral velocity in turns

Comment

Originally posted by ///digitalme View Post
                        Did you enter 9 pounds for your car's weight?

Average Results
                        0-10 mph----> 1.11 sec
                        0-20 mph----> 2.16 sec
                        0-30 mph----> 3.20 sec
                        0-40 mph----> 4.76 sec
                        0-50 mph----> 6.19 sec
                        0-60 mph----> 7.81 sec
                        0-70 mph----> 10.41 sec
                        0-80 mph----> 13.15 sec
                        0-90 mph----> 16.13 sec

60' --------> 2.84 @ 25.2 mph
                        330' foot---> 7.16 @ 54.5 mph
                        1/8 mile----> 10.65 @ 70.2 mph
                        1000 foot--> 13.66 @ 82.5 mph
                        1/4 mile----> 16.18 @ 91.1 mph

Max Acceleration----> 0.52 G
                        Peak Horsepower----> 135 whp

Comment

Originally posted by tjts1 View Post
                          Did you enter 9 pounds for your car's weight?

Average Results
                          0-10 mph----> 1.11 sec
                          0-20 mph----> 2.16 sec
                          0-30 mph----> 3.20 sec
                          0-40 mph----> 4.76 sec
                          0-50 mph----> 6.19 sec
                          0-60 mph----> 7.81 sec
                          0-70 mph----> 10.41 sec
                          0-80 mph----> 13.15 sec
                          0-90 mph----> 16.13 sec

60' --------> 2.84 @ 25.2 mph
                          330' foot---> 7.16 @ 54.5 mph
                          1/8 mile----> 10.65 @ 70.2 mph
                          1000 foot--> 13.66 @ 82.5 mph
                          1/4 mile----> 16.18 @ 91.1 mph

Max Acceleration----> 0.52 G
                          Peak Horsepower----> 135 whp
                          so basically if you supply the CORRECT info, it gives you some pretty reliavle results for under 15 bucks?

Comment

I forgot to mention that I entered 2650lb for the car + 200lb for my fat ass + 50lb of fuel (my guess). Zero drive train loss because I would only be guessing therefore its measuring wheel HP. It had 3.64 diff, manual steering, ebay chip and a few other things. You can tell how accurate or inaccurate it is by the speed at which it paces the shift points on the graph (2 flat spots on the red line). If it matches the actual speed you're shifting at, congratulations the results are probably accurate.
                            Last edited by tjts1; 04-08-2011, 06:59 PM.

Comment

Working...
                            X