Easiest job that took the most time

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • nick526
    replied
    Removing the passenger side axle from the rear hub took me forever when I did my wheel bearings a few months ago. Couldn't get it to move, broke my damn puller and smashed my thumb with a hammer in the process. Ended up setting up what was left of the puller as tight as I could get it, heating the hub with a torch for ten minutes, and pounding the forcing screw with a three pound mini sledge.

    Leave a comment:


  • 325ix
    replied
    Originally posted by lambo
    Changing oil. Turned out the threads were stripped :D
    Plastic bumpers were a head scratcher with the brackets already on the bumpers and the fronts missing, on and the poor alignment.

    Leave a comment:


  • Pantless Spency
    replied
    Originally posted by scottinAZ
    putting on the goddamn clutch fan. 5 minute job at the outside, took an hour and a half. Freaking thing did NOT want to line up to spin on. walked away, had a stiff drink, and the fucker went straight on........
    Fucking amen!!!! I changed mine out for a used one that also ended up bad and that took an hour then took it off and had to put a brand new one on, such a bitch to thread, not to mention hitting your knuckles on the rad, and going to a shop to borrow there pulley wrench twice haha

    Leave a comment:


  • Earendil
    replied
    Having done the water pump and timing pump on my own car 3 times, I agreed to do a friends. I was a little slow, taking the time to get everything perfectly right, and 3-4 hours later it was all buttoned back up with new coolant. Started her up and the coolant came gushing out at about 5 gallons a minute.

    I couldn't tell where it was coming from because it was all put back together, and it was getting dark. So the very next evening I did the entire thing all over again. I found a little extra gasket residue around the pump and spent 45 minutes carefully polishing that surfacing and making sure it mated together perfectly. I found nothing else even close to wrong (brand new hoses and claps) and assumed I had it under control. All back together again and she leaks just as much! Arg!

    A bunch of research later reveals that the bolts on the water pump sometimes sink into the coolant area. So I took it all back apart, sealed the threads on the bolts, put it back together, and it hasn't leaked a drop since. I've never put a drop of anything on the water pump bolts on my own car. Live and learn.

    So I spent about 14-15 hours total on a @#$%ing water pump.

    The other common dice roll of a common repair is dropping and reattaching the exhaust. I've slapped that biotch back on in 15 minutes by myself. I've also spent 90 minutes with a friend trying to wiggle it into place.

    Leave a comment:


  • schtozo
    replied
    Battery tray in trunk, the bolt head was stripped and rusted, after an hour i hammered a flat head screw driver around it to cut the plastic and remove it.

    Leave a comment:


  • devon.818
    replied
    the control arm. had the old one off in 20 minutes(from time i put jack under car).
    spent 6 HOURS messing with the new control arm bushing/loli pop/ and new control arm.

    finally took it to a machine shop. then took me about 25 minutes to bolt it all back together and get car rolling again. lol lame

    Leave a comment:


  • Balleristic31
    replied
    Stupid shifter cup bearing. That thing took me all day to get. Ugh

    Leave a comment:


  • fsf1o1
    replied
    hehe

    Originally posted by slammin.e28guy
    I had one helluva time adjusting my seat once.

    Freaking Seats

    Leave a comment:


  • 5Toes
    replied
    Originally posted by scottinAZ
    putting on the goddamn clutch fan. 5 minute job at the outside, took an hour and a half. Freaking thing did NOT want to line up to spin on. walked away, had a stiff drink, and the fucker went straight on........
    Sometimes, you just GOTTA walk away.

    Leave a comment:


  • Mlarsen
    replied
    Originally posted by nando
    my last timing belt did NOT want to go on. I spent probably 90 minutes just trying to get the belt on the sprocket. usually I can do the whole thing in that much time without a rush.
    I had the exact same problem when I put my belt on.

    Leave a comment:


  • nando
    replied
    my last timing belt did NOT want to go on. I spent probably 90 minutes just trying to get the belt on the sprocket. usually I can do the whole thing in that much time without a rush.

    Leave a comment:


  • Violet88
    replied
    lol

    Leave a comment:


  • slammin.e28
    replied
    I had one helluva time adjusting my seat once.

    Leave a comment:


  • lambo
    replied
    Changing oil. Turned out the threads were stripped :D

    Leave a comment:


  • scottinAZ
    replied
    putting on the goddamn clutch fan. 5 minute job at the outside, took an hour and a half. Freaking thing did NOT want to line up to spin on. walked away, had a stiff drink, and the fucker went straight on........

    Leave a comment:

Working...