5-lug wheel hubs fro e30's....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

5 lug

This was discussed at length on this forum or over on that other one. I think it fizzled out after a bit of discussion due to cost.

I would use e36 brakes and an e36ish offset and attempt to avoid use of spacers - I hate those things. e36 brakes and wheels are readily available, inexpensive and effective. e30 M3 hardware is too expensive, rare and ineffective - as compared to the stopping power of e36 components. And, finding wheels with a low offset is a challange. Using the smaller bore hub will allow for 5 x 120 wheels from e36, e28, e34 and e39 vehicles although centering rings would be needed for the 5er wheels.
    sigpic

Comment

I could really use this.. I'd want non e36m brakes though
      84 318I Delphin RIP
      87 325IS delphin 24v Sold
      89 325 Alpineweiss

Comment

e36/46's use et41-46 offset wheels. most other 5 lug bmw's use et25. as does a standard 4 lug e30

i also advise to stay away from e30 m3 parts other than perhaps copying the rear hub.

here are a couple of things to think about: if you stick with et25, you can run 5 series wheels on the car. if the buyer wants e36 wheels, they can run a 15mm hub centric h&r spacer with good results.

the problem may be finding brake rotors that work. e36 rotors with et25 spacing hub will not clear the steering knuckle on the front. i don't know of any 5 lug bmw brake rotors that have less hat height than an e36 rotor. this would be your biggest obstacle at et25. i am in the process of finding a way to 5 lug the front of an ix, so i have already run into these issues. apparently, late model camaro front rotors have a very low hat height and the same 5x120 bolt pattern. for the calipers, i would have no idea.

here is a comparison pic of e36 m3 and standard e30:

so, in reality you won't please everyone. probably the easiest way would be to make the hubs et46 so you can run e36(m3) brakes.

you will need a custom bracket between the spindle and the brake carrier. there will be no getting around this but it would be a simple part to make.

as far as the rears are concerned, the only e36 options are z3 and 318ti. lots of people are running these and they seem happy to deal with the extra offset. if you run et25 wheels with this setup, they are going to stick outside the quarter panel.

i hope there is something here in my random words of wisdom that will help you with your quest. if you have specific questions, you can pm me with them.
        Last edited by flyboyx; 12-28-2011, 10:37 PM.
        sigpic
        Gigitty Gigitty!!!!

88 cabrio becoming alpina b6 3.5s transplanted s62
        92 Mtech 2 cabrio alpinweiss 770 code
        88 325ix coupe manual lachsilber/cardinal
        88 325ix coupe manual diamondschwartz/natur
        87 e30 m3 for parts lachsilber/cardinal(serial number 7)
        12 135i M sport cabrio grey/black

Comment

Just a thought, If you can make these in 5x120, chances are it wouldn't be too hard to get them in 5x114.3 and/or other popular patterns too. Also, throwing in my vote for stock centerbore/rotors.
          sigpic

Comment

subbed
            sigpic

Comment

I feel like this is never going to happen. If 5 lug was as easy as adding holes it would have been done by now.
              "We praise or find fault, depending on which of the two provides more opportunity for our powers of judgement to shine."

Comment

Originally posted by flyboyx View Post
                i don't know of any 5 lug bmw brake rotors that have less hat height than an e36 rotor.
                E30 M3. I think some of the S14 guys have modded audi/merc rotors for different brake setups too.

Comment

Originally posted by bwawuz02 View Post
                  E30 M3. I think some of the S14 guys have modded audi/merc rotors for different brake setups too.
                  e30 m3 parts really aren't viable for a few reasons: they are hard to find and expensive, also,they are small. why would someone go to all this trouble and not take advantage of larger brakes? since e36 parts are cheaper and much easier to find, they are likely a better choice. i also don't think this would be viable to buy random rotors and get them redrilled to fit. probably need oem off the shelf parts to make this happen. as i mentioned above, apparently camaro has a low hat and 5x120. late model cadilac cts also.
                  Last edited by flyboyx; 12-28-2011, 10:35 PM.
                  sigpic
                  Gigitty Gigitty!!!!

Comment

If we could use stock E36 calipers and rotors for ease and cost effectiveness, I'd probably be down for a set. So many cool wheels from newer cars would be nice with a higher? offset hub.

I've already done the complete E30M route and it's expensive and hard to find used calipers, carriers, etc. and much harder and more expensive for new.

I'd love to do this setup for my DD as I have a set of E36 calipers lying around and would not be messing with the suspension geometry.
                    For all things 24v, check out Markert Motorworks!
                    Originally posted by mbonanni
                    I hate modded emtree, I hate modded cawrz, I hate jdm, I hate swag, I hate stanceyolokids, I hate bags (on cars), I hate stuff that is slowz, I hate tires.

I am a pursit now.

Comment

I'm in if you keep stock offset and e36 m brakes
                      Sticky:True e36 one touch windows DIY

1990 M3
                      1992 Mtech (S50 + 5 Lug)

Comment

Oh yea. I've driven a e30m3 with e36 m3 brakes - and it was AMAZING!
                        Originally posted by Matt-B
                        hey does anyone know anyone who gets upset and makes electronics?

Comment

Originally posted by yanal View Post
                          I'm in if you keep stock offset and e36 m brakes

jesus dude. read what i posted above. that is impossible. there are even visual aids for heavens sake.
                          sigpic
                          Gigitty Gigitty!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by bwawuz02 View Post

yeap...thats becuase the e36 rotors are to deep so in that case you need a spacer betwen rotor and the hub...

Comment

I had a link to a tech sheet on ATEs site, showed measurements on all the rotors they make. The 2001 Audi TT rotor was 312mm, with a 25mm vented rotor, and the same overall hat depth as the E30. Centerbore was like 57mm, but...they are already 5X120. Getting the centers punched out should be no big deal and they should clear the struts.

Go find that link, it is out there somewhere. Shows all the bigger BMWs too...every damn rotor they make in perfect detail.

Closing SOON!
                              "LAST CHANCE FOR G.A.S." DEAL IS ON NOW

Luke AT germanaudiospecialties DOT com or text 425-761-6450, or for quickest answers, call me at the shop 360-669-0398

Thanks for 10 years of fun!

Comment

post that pic! ^^
                                -FREEDOM- is cruisin at 80, windows down and listening to the perfect song-thinking "this is it"
                                -The Beauty in the Tragedy-
                                MECHANIC SMASH!!- (you all know you do it)
                                Got Drop?? ;-)
                                Originally posted by JinormusJ
                                But of course
                                E30s are know to be notoriously really really really ridiculously good looking

Comment

Working...
                                X