Engine build turned nightmare :( update

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Engine build turned nightmare :( update

Okay so for the last couple months I've been building up a new 885 head for my 3.1L block. Can only work on it weekends, deadline is May 5th, etc. Anyways after a lot of hours and some clever logistics we get all of the parts together and assemble everything during a 14 hour Saturday Easter weekend.

Polished head with oversized valves, 272 cam, heavy rockers and cam sprocket:

Mostly assembled engine at end of Saturday:

First "complete" pic:

Anyways the thing sounds beastly, nice rough idle and just overall completely raw. Pulls very hard up top and is overall a fantastic return for the effort.

Until tonight.

This is only the second day I've driven the car since completion as it snowed over the weekend and screw that. Anyways, I'm reasonably driving to a friends house to hang out and thinking to myself how great the car feels, when all of the sudden around 4k in 3rd I feel a quick miss (big stereo, can't hear anything) and see a huge plume of smoke in the mirror as the engine stalls. I quickly shut off the car and coast down the on ramp as far as I can before pulling over, engine completely dead. Seized up, won't crank. Found the coolant reservoir was totally empty, as well as the lower rad hose but not a leak in sight. :<

Make a couple calls while waiting for a tow truck to show up, sadness slowly sinking in..

Tomorrow is going to suck, especially if I don't get any sleep tonight. Cylinders 1 and 6 are completely full of coolant, 2 and 5 partially, spark plug from 6 looks like this:

Last edited by Raxe; 04-17-2012, 11:14 PM.

>> 1988 3.1 ITB E30 /// 2002 E46 M3 6MT / 2008 335xi 6MT / 1991 S38B36 E30 (sold)

what do you think happened?

It dropped a valve?

Comment

Looks as though you lost a valve somewhere. That sucks though dude engine looked awesome. Did you put water in the car? Was the temp gauge hot?
      sigpic

Comment

Well that sucks...heres for hoping pulling the head will be all you need to do to fix things! Gotta hope for the best.
        -Build http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=295277

Comment

Man. That's the worst, especially right after your awesome build.
          Hope for a speedy fix-up.

1991 325iS turbo

Comment

man that thing was looking awesome.... so sorry to see this :(

Comment

fuckin hydro-lock? wtf? candy red stuff looks really good

Turbo M42 Build Thread :Here
              Ig:ryno_pzk
              I like the tuna here.
              Originally posted by lambo
              Buttchug. The official poster child of r3v.

Comment

I hate these stories :(

Comment

Thanks for the encouragement guys, I'm going to pull it apart over the next few days to figure out what went wrong. At first I was going to park it for the year until I feel like rebuilding it again and just write off the Picnic and everything else but I'm feeling pretty determined to get it back together by June if possible.

I guess the upside is the fact that the new block and pistons weren't finished yet, the head was just bolted to a stock super eta block for break in. We have a couple spare 885's so I'm just out the cost of the valvetrain and machine work plus more downtime on the car.

>> 1988 3.1 ITB E30 /// 2002 E46 M3 6MT / 2008 335xi 6MT / 1991 S38B36 E30 (sold)

Comment

To one of my favorite cars too :( I'm glad to hear you aren't throwing in the towel though. 3.1 has to be a monster.
                    1985 M10b18. 70maybewhpoffury. Over engineered S50b30 murica BBQ swap in progress.

Originally posted by DEV0 E30
                    You'd chugg this butt. I know you would. Ain't gotta' lie to kick it brostantinople.

Comment

Noooo :( I am a little weary doing a motor build for this exact reason. Have you built a motor before?

Comment

That sucks. Keep us updated.
                        Last edited by reelizmpro; 04-17-2012, 12:38 AM.
                        "I'd probably take the E30 M3 in this case just because I love that little car, and how tanky that inline 6 is." - thecj

85 323i M TECH 1 S52 - ALPINEWEISS/SCHWARZE
                        88 M3 - LACHSSILBER/SCHWARZE
                        89 M3 - ALPINEWEISS II/M TECH CLOTH-ALCANTARA
                        91 M TECHNIC CABRIO TURBO - MACAOBLAU/M TECH CLOTH-LEATHER

Comment

Sorry to hear. Good luck with the re-rebuild. Hope things turn out better this time

Comment

damn, thats the worst thing ever! i still wanna see what happened. good luck man!
                            sigpic
                            1987 - 325i Convertible Delphin Auto [SOLD], 325i Convertible Delphin Manual [SOLD]
                            1989 - 325i Convertible Bronzit m30b35 swapped [SCRAPPED], 325i Sedan Alpine Auto[DD]
                            1991 - 325i Coupe Laguna Manual [Project], 535i Sedan Alpine [SCRAPPED]

Comment

Originally posted by Raxe View Post
                              We have a couple spare 885's so I'm just out the cost of the valvetrain and machine work plus more downtime on the car.
                              Are you sure the valvetrain is even damaged? In a hydrolock situation they're typically just fine. 99% of the time just the bottom end gets borked. Seeing as your spark plugs didn't blast out of the casting and the one you're holding looks just fine for threading, I would think the valvetrain would be A-Ok, but still inspect it.

Unless that's chunk of valve in it, and not electrode or such.... That would be pretty explanatory then...
                              Last edited by TurboJake; 04-17-2012, 07:20 AM.

Leave Me Transaction Feedback

Comment

Working...
                              X